“Rooms are not save”

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Stmaarten
“Rooms are not save”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

The Hotel Is okay for sleeping purpose only.
I stayed on May 31-June 1'08 in Room 104 .
My Husband and I went meanly for shopping purpose.
Thinking that the Hotel is save, we did some shopping and store them in our bag in the closet. We did not lock our bag becuase we thought is a alright save hotel. To our Surpise when we came back home we had some stuff missing. Some bedsheet, ninento DS and games we bought for our daughter and some blouses I purchase from the Mall.
I think the Maid Rosa make her self home in our bags.
We always meet her on our way out in the morning 8.00 Am in the area from our door and she asks us if we are coming back because she wants to start cleaning the room. My husband told her that we won't be back till tonight so she have the whole day.
Well she really has the whole day to go thourgh our stuff.

Bad expirence with my stolen stuff, so I don't think I will go their again , prefer staying in a name brand hotel were Maids know their place.

Ann

• Liked — taxi services
  • Disliked — stealing
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank ISranang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Nashville
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Basic room in good location if you like upscale shopping (Condado). Getting car in and out of narrow streets surrounding hotel is not for the faint-hearted. Also, your car is parked in a line of other cars alongside the hotel. To get it out, hotel clerk must move whatever cars are behind yours into the narrow street. No quick get-aways here, unless you happen to be the last car in the line.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank kms1021
Chaguanas
Reviewed April 24, 2008

Decent hotel, management and staff were very friendly and I would love to stay there again when I return to Puerto Rico

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
West Columbia, Texas
Reviewed March 29, 2008

El Canario was a good place to stay. We only stayed one night before our cruise. I thought the room was good, the bathroom was a little small, but we didn't need a huge one. The balcony overlooked parking and other buildings, but it was nice to have. Location was great, we were in walking distance of the ocean and some really great restaurants. A/C worked great
Our room was prepaid for so checking out was a breeze. The clerk loved that it was already taken care of. Other than checking in/out, it was the only time we used the desk. While waiting to check out, the clerk was helping these young girls find a kayaking/beach guide for the day, even negotiating a price for them, which I thought was nice. There are taxi drivers within walking distance ( I mean less than half a small block), so we walked down to get one to take us to the ship. It was a nice stay, and I would use them again if I am cruising out of San Juan.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank shargurl
san diego
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Stayed just one night in this small hotel in the Condado beach area of San Juan. Hotel is located near the Lagoon with some rooms having a partial view and just one block to beach. Lobby is tastefully furnished with tropical bamboo chairs and loveseat with a small breakfast room for complimentary morning rolls, coffee and juice. There is also a roof deck that could be very charming (but isn't) with a great view. Four suites are located on the roof deck.

They advertise themselves as a "boutique hotel" but the problem is the rooms. They are dated and unattractive and pretty dark. We had room 306 with a view of the Lagoon from our balcony but there was nothing charming about it. At $126 a night (including all taxes) this is a fairly good deal for the area but with new bedspreads and curtains and a couple of scatter rugs this hotel would get more than just one night stands.

Desk clerk on the Sunday we arrived was surly and uncooperative, but the person the next day was very helpful.
Would recommend only if you don't care about the ambience of your hotel room. I would also check out El Canario by the Sea and El Canario Inn which are the same price but might have a bit more charm.

2 Thank stephanie60
Boston
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We stayed for only one night and would never do it again. Our room was dirty, dark and smelly. The bathroom was tiny, the shower fixture was broken, and there was no hot, or even tepid, water. There was no waste basket in the room, not a single napkin, and no glassware. Promised internet connection, a must in our case, was nonexistent. The staff was not able to move our car, claiming that it was too complicated to start it. We ended up parking it ourselves on the street in the middle of the night. As for being B&B, sufficient to say that self-served breakfast, more like a coffee stand in your local grocery store, offered rotten apples along with bread, bananas and cold cereal. Maybe it was just our luck, but it was a worse hotel stay ever. Shame, really!

• Liked — Nothing, really. Although the day clerk at the desk was polite.
  • Disliked — The room , the food, night staff.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank happytr
st louis
Reviewed March 22, 2008

I am attracted by the top 5 ranking in san juan hotels. And I would say it is a pretty good hotel: good location and clean room, simple decoration. If you pay below 120, this is something you should consider .
Also I want to say the ranking is a little bit overated. Most people here are satisfied with this hotel because their low expectation. I would recommend holiday inn express to you if you increase your budget a little bit(10 bucks per day). You will have a better and modern service there.

• Stayed March 2008