El Canario by the Lagoon
Comfort Inn(San Juan)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
All reviewscontinental breakfastfront deskold san juanpuerto ricorecommend ellaundry facilitiessmall balconytop floorstay there againcondado beachsmall hotelashford avenueair conditioningmini fridgewalking distancewater pressurerestaurants and shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very basic, but still right there in Condado next to everything. Most of the more popular hotels were full and I did not want to pay too much, so we decided to try this one since the location was good. It worked out just fine. Don't expect much from the breakfast or the other amenities, but it was a clean, sufficiently comfortable place for a one night stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hidden from the main street of El Condado, and looking right at the Condado Lagoon (hence the name), you'll find this little hotel. First of all I have to say that I agree with some reviews from past contributors. The location is one of the best things it has. The prices are relatively low for its location, as all other hotels around this tourist area are high. The price looks even better for what it is given to you. Nice, clean and spacious bedrooms. I don't know if every bedroom has a balcony, but mine had one. Not much to see, but hey... at least its something. As I mentioned before the location is almost perfect. Very close to "La Ventana de Condado" (Condado's Window), where music, food & drinks combine during nighttime (especially during the weekends).

Two bad things. First, parking is terrible. Second, although overall management is pretty good I encountered a desk clerk who was either not happy that day or just doesn't know much about how to deal with not only tourist, but with people in general. I mean, these kind of people are found everywhere, it just so happens that I found one during my stay here.

But, for everything else I would definitely stay here again and also recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WaiPRUSA
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We actually liked the hotel. It's in a great location in Condado, right off of the main strip, close to the beach also. The rooms are good and clean.
But the front desk person in the evenings is terrible. Very rude, definitely has a clear dislike for tourists. Which is odd given his career choice. During our 2 night stay we asked him several questions about the city and he could barely bother to look up from his laptop or remove his headphones.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank World T
Reviewed February 18, 2013

If you are looking for a clean hotel which is well located, this is a great choice! It's only a 2 minute walk away from the beach and Ashford Avenue (where all the hotels, restaurants, bars, etc are) so at night it is very quiet!
Our room had a double bed, AC, cable tv, wifi, a balcony with views of the lagoon and the bathroom was a good size too. The furnishings weren't very modern, but for us the cleanliness was more important. Our towels got changed daily, and the sheets every other day.
After my first shower that had very little pressure, I spoke to someone in reception and they solved the problem straight away by changing the shower head.
I needed to iron some clothes and could use the iron and ironing board on the ground floor where there is a washing machine and dryer too.
We stayed at the hotel for 7 days so when I called to make the booking, I asked for a discount which they did give us. We met other people who were staying there for 3-4 weeks who also get a good deal.
The breakfast was very basic: lots of cereal, bread, pastries, watermelon, apples and bananas. I was hoping for lots of different fruit so that was a bit disappointing but by the second day I was over it! ;)
There's a bus stop to take you to Old San Juan, extremely unreliable! Locals told us that buses turn up when they went to, but only costs 75 cents.
The best place we found to rent a car was at enterprise, which is on 888 Avenida Ashford, next to Starbucks. They had the best rates and it was even cheaper to book online than in person!
We had a great time in PR and I was very sad to leave!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is located very nicely and a walking distance of many things a turist will want to go to.
Neighbourhood felt safe.
Service was great expect 1 man on the night we arrived (it was after midnight ).
He was rude and unhelpful. Everyone else was really freindly,especially a lady from St.Lucia,Mathilda I think she was called,wonderful and so helpful person!!
Rooms are big and confy,beds are big which was very nice!
Airconditioning was quite old and noisy but it worked and that was very important because it was very hot!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends