“Economical inn located in the heart of Condado”

El Canario by the Lagoon
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
nyc
“Economical inn located in the heart of Condado”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in August. We extended our vacation, and need an economical place to stay; we had stayd 5 nights in the pricier La Concha. El canario fit the bill, it was comfortable, clean and provided complimentary breakfast. We were able to enjoy the beach and night life of the area, without the price.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank fanduiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I love this hotel, the front desk agent Mathilda, were extremely nice, warm, inviting and very helpful! This hotel is walking distance from shopping, dinning, the beach and all the clubs in the Condado area. I will definitely stay here again, can I get a discount next time? haha

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are the best.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I needed somewhere to stay for 1 night pre-cruise. I had previously stayed in LE Consulat which is nearby ( very good but abt 25% more expensive).It was fully booked and so I chose this hotel based on reviews from other cruisers who said it was fine for 1-night pre or post cruise.

On arrival , the small reception was manned by one person who was on the telephone.
He proceeded to chk us in while continuing to hold a conversation in Spanish on the fone.
Not one word was spoken to us and he gave us the key and pointed to the lift.

The lift is 2 steps up fom the reception level which would be quite difficult for some people with heavy luggage for a 2week cruise.

The room ( I think it was 218) was almost directly opposite the small lift and the area was so narrow it was difficult for the 2nd person to exit the lift until the first person has opened the room door and moved in !

The room was very dated - the bathroom was probably bigger than the bedroom and the Queen bed was one of the smallest (supposedly double beds) I have seen .Smaller than a twin bed in the U.S and smaller than even european beds.

On a positive front the WI-FI worked altho a little slow.
The breakfast was adequate altho only cold offering and the breakfast room is very small but just abt coped with the flow of people.
The location was pretty good abt halfway between airport and cruise port.

I would not stay here again unless the alternative was a lot more expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Napanee, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Our family stayed one night at this hotel before boarding a Southern Caribbean cruise. I found the gentleman at the front desk at night, when we were checking-in to be very abrupt and seemed really bothered by any questions I had. I had booked this room months in advance and followed up with an email a few days before. I also phoned to confirm my reservation and the man who answered the phone seemed very grumpy. We asked to have a cot in our room for one fo our kids. (I was happy they were willing to accomodate us with that, as I did not want to get 2 rooms and split up my family) When we got up to the room, there was no cot and I had to go down to the desk and was given one (without proper bedding, ie. no pillow) to carry back to the room on my own to the 4th floor.

The view out our window was of parking lots and buildings and was full of loud urban noises. The room was okay. The breakfast area by the front lobby was not bad, but the breakfast was very limited and picked over. Luckily the morning desk clerk seemed a little more friendly and told me about getting a bus to Old San Juan. Old San Juan was much more interesting and charming. It had a European flair.
I would definitely recommend skipping a stay in San Juan, unless you like loud commercial noise, shopping, few trees, and little charm and go to Old San Juan instead.

Room Tip: Skip this location and book in Old San Juan for more charm.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NapaneeFamily5
Amherst, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed at this location 2 weeks ago for one night pre-cruise. The men that work at the front desk have attitude problems. At check-in, the employee spoke to us in a very unwelcoming manner and would not make eye contact with us. He was not busy at the time and we were respectful toward him. When I asked him for directions to restaurants, he said that he wouldn't answer "restaurant questions" until he was done checking us in. Then he gave us incomplete directions and we had to find our way in the dark with little help. There was a different desk clerk at check-out and he wasn't much nicer. We booked directly with the hotel so I don't understand the reason for this negative interaction.
On the plus side, the lobby is cute and the breakfast room is very nice. It's located several blocks to the beach.The room was clean but the building has an institutional feeling. Not at all a holiday feeling. Post-cruise we stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. It was about $50.00 more but much nicer. There is no comparison between the 2 hotels. The Sheraton exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Candice K
Washington, USA
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Really can't think of anything good to say. Location is ok, near all the other hotels and that's all. The main attractions are really in Old San Juan, it's probably better to stay there for a couple of days and then stay outside of San Juan, e.g. Luquillo or Fajardo for the islands, bio-bay, snorkel etc. Yes there is a bus stop that take you to Old San Juan for 75 cents but you never know when the buses are running. The first time we waited for 30 min and a taxi van offered to take all 4 of us at the stop for $2 each so we did. The second time, no such luck, we waited for 55 minutes and finally got on to a bus.

I understand it is a budget hotel ($130!) but everything is really old. It shows that no one cares about the place nor have the customers in mind at all. The bathroom has a little sink, no counter space at all, no towel racks, not even a hook behind the door. The water in the shower is weak and cold.

Wifi worked in our room for one day only, the rest of the time we had to sit in the lobby to get any signal.

We were on the 4th floor with a lagoon "view" through a tiny little window and other buildings, at least we got some light, can't imagine what other rooms faces the other side would look like.

Very depressing little place, we finally shorten our stay and moved to Luquillo.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AllensWA
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed March 18, 2012

When we booked, this was the last room in Condado on Expedia. We're weren't expecting much, and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are spartan but roomy, the bathroom was fine (good water pressure) and the front desk folks were always friendly and helpful with parking (they have free onsite parking, but its crowded sometimes). Its only a short block from the beach, and in the middle of a good area. We also walked around the lagoon to rent SUP boards and had a great day there. This place is worth the money, just don't expect a 5**** hotel...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends