“Not the worst...Not great...”

Canario Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 9, 2014

As others have mentioned..... the "breakfast" is not worth it. It is truly very very bad. The room was small but clean. The bed was not a king as advertised. I'm not even sure what size it was. It was odd, wide like a king but so short my feet hung off the end and I am only 5'7. There are absolutely NO available outlets to plug in phones and what not. We finally found one behind the bed and had to unplug the lamps to use it, also no outlet at all in the bathroom. We wanted to take a nap in the afternoon but they were doing repairs right outside our door. That didn't bother me too much but the next morning it started again when we were trying to sleep in and enjoy our vacation. That made me angry. I get it in the afternoon, but in the morning? Really? I will say that the staff was friendly but this is only one step up from a hostel. It could be a nice niche hotel but isn't.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StephEP
There are newer reviews for Canario Boutique Hotel

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My friend and I got a deal through hotels.com for the wonderful "Canario Boutique Hotel".

She arrived earlier in the day than I did and tried to check in. She was told that she could go to the Hotel Iberia because there was no room ready for her at 11am. She refused because of the scam she read about on tripadvisor.com. The woman said that if she came back at 2 she could try to work something out.

We had purchased in full a room for four nights with 2 full beds. I'm pregnant and she has sleep apnea so we needed separate spaces. When my friend returned, the woman at the front desk tried to show my friend a room the size of a closet with a twin bed. When my friend said this is unnacceptable and showed her our reservation she said they must have messed up. She then gave her a room with a "queen" bed (more like a full) and said it was this or nothing. No refund was offered, and at this point my friend was so tired she gave in just so she could take a nap.

When I arrived a few hours later at 8pm, there was a new attendant at the front desk. We tried to resolve the issue and were told since my friend had accepted the room we were no longer entitled to a refund in the difference of the price for rooms, and that if we left we would get no money back. Suffice to say we were totally turned off by this experience, but we gave up trying to fight it because most of all the hotels were booked in Condado, and the only place we could go to was the Marriot for $300 a night. This hotel was not worth it at all. The "free" breakfast we had one day and ended up going to Pinky's down the block for some real food every morning.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel and do not fall for this scam. We saw 4 poor couples be turned away to the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Danielle R
Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you're looking for a place to sleep at night and feel safe with no worries, this is it. My friend and I booked one of the sister bed and breakfasts but because of our early flight, they could not accommodate us and told us to come 4 minutes away to El Canario. We were greeted by friendly staff who were very helpful. The inn has character and is nice and neat. Although our room was on the 3rd floor, (no there aren't elevators) it wasn't so bad. The rooms were a great budget. The ac was powerful the TV is a flat screen and we had 2 full sized beds that were quite comfortable. The bathroom was pretty clean and they give you plenty of towels. They also have a Continental breakfast which consists of cereal, toast, fresh pastries (I saw the delivery) and juice, milk, coffee, and tea. If any of you travelers are like me and are wondering where the real breakfast is, you're in luck. El Canario is literally in the center of alot of the action. There are a slew of restaurants and bars of either side of the inn including Walgreens. It is also walking distance to a beach with beach chairs and beach side staff that you may order drinks and food from. El Canario has a great location and because of this, I would say we definitely got our money's worth. If you want to pay for amenties stay somewhere else. In true review fashion I will give you my pros and cons of El Canario.

Pros
In room safe
AC
Location
Wireless Internet
Closet space
24 hour staff
Clean
Breakfast
Ceiling fan
The water is nice and hot
Room cleaning

Cons
There is a loud noise that comes from a machine that was right outside the window.
They give you an actual room key that they charge you 150 for If you lose it.
The water pressure is low.
If your room is on the 3rd floor you may not be able to connect to the Internet in your room.
No pool no hot tub and no iron.

Personally for me the cons weren't game changers. I still enjoyed my stay at El Canario.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank JRomero3
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We booked one month in advance. We printed the confirmation. However, when we arrived at El Canario Inn, they told us that they had no room available for us due to a "maintenance issue". They told us that hotel Iberia kindly accepted to host us for the same price (everything was sold out due to a street festival). BEWARE: This is a scam. Read other reviews on Tripadvisor. They have been doing this since 2007. They want to send customers to a cheaper hotel and charge the same price. You cannot trust El Canario Inn Hotel. When we went to Iberia hotel and saw how ugly it was and not as well located, we called Canario to cancel and they wanted to charge us one night because "we cannot cancel the same day". "We are cancelling because we cannot stay at Canario due to a maintenance issue", we said. "We never made reservations at Hotel Iberia so you cannot charge us for that". Guess what they said? "Oh, the problem was just solved, we do have a room now at Canario Hotel". Really? Naturally, we did not stay there. Canario Inn should be fined and closed. Puerto Rico is a beautiful destination, the Tourism Board should not let hotels like Canario ruin the travel experience.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maria M
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I got a deluxe room with 40% discount and I still think I payed to much for this place. The location is really good, but that's about it on the positive things.
The room has no space to put your bags or even a table for any little things. There is a reason they don't show the bathrooms in the pictures on the website. I had better bathrooms in hostels, it was so small and had not even space to put down a duffel bag. Overall the place was not super clean and even the bed sheets had stains on them that should have come out with the last wash. The internet was useless. Yes there was a good wifi connection to the router, but when the internet is so slow that even google.com needs more than 30 sec to load ... The worst thing though was the air conditioner. Really loud and placed directly next to the top of the bed. It wakes you up when it starts, then blows right in your face and you cant avoid it, so I used my bags as a barrier. This dose not work when you need the other half of the bed though. The TV in my room was not working, not that it matters, but it added up to lots of other small things like a terrible breakfast (even for a free) that lead to my conclusion: Poor for a Hotel and that price! It would be a good hostel in that location.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel, unless you get 40% of the price in this one.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mike2travel4live
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The inn is located on the heart of condado beach. Near the resorts, casinos and nice restaurants. The price is fair for the region. The rooms seems some old but nothing that make it not so good. The employes are friendly and give all the support.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

This place looks nice from the outside. I will admit it is clean but it has no elevator, very narrow stairways, no internet in the rooms, very small TV in the room and our phone did not work. What concern me most is that it is a fire trap. The electrical is in very poor condition and the lights dimmed many time during the time we had the lights on. I was extremely worried about our safety because of the poor electrical outlets and wiring. Also if you wanted ice you had to walk down three flights of stairs to get the ice. I found the desk clerk to be very nasty and unhelpful to our needs and all he cared about was playing his games on the internet. There are many hotels in the area that out shine this dump.
Will stay at the (Marriott) one block up the next time we travel to San Juan.

• Stayed: December 2013