“Horrible stay!”

Canario Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The location of this place is great, thats why we picked it and as it turned out that was all you got. The room was filty and full off buggs and mosquitos. The breakfast, if you could call it that, was old pastries and hardly eatable. The staff was the worst experience ever, rude and ignorant. Why do you work in the service industry if you dont want do deliver any kind of service? Any kind of interaction with these people resulted in disappointments and frustration. I will never stay at this place again. This place has two sister hotels located a 10 minute walk from here, I would really recommend the staff to take a walk over there to learn how to treat a customer as the staff on these places were very nice so if you can stay there instead.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma W

Reviewed January 1, 2013

There are tourists, and then there are travelers. El Canario is an excellent choice for travelers. Having read the numerous reviews below and comparing them to my recent experience, I believe that the mismatch was that some of those guests were tourists - on their way to cruise ships or the airport. It's all about expectations.

This small inn is located perfectly amid numerous vastly more expensive tourist resorts. Surrounded by restaurants, nightlife, elegant shopping, and the buzz of Condado, guests will find it easy to fill their days within walking distance of the inn. The inn is a safe and comfortable place to stow your gear, shower, and sleep. I found the bed comfortable, the bathroom clean and adequate, and surroundings secure and pleasant.

The continental breakfast is simple - pastries, cereal, coffee, tea, juice. It's free and open until 10 AM. I've had better and worse. I'm sure the breakfast buffet next door at the high price resort is $12-15 and not included with your $400 room. Smack in the middle of Condado for around $100 (high season) with some free pastries is a good deal.

Some below complained about the attitudes of the attendants. I engaged with at least three different front desk attendants including the owner/manager. I was always treated with friendly respect and helpful attention. I never experienced any of the attitude suggested below. My guess is that the attitude of the guest was simply projected onto the attendant. My experience has been that if you treat workers with respect you will receive respect.

I slept with the windows open and the AC off. Even with the noise of New Year's Eve, I slept great. I never saw a mosquito anywhere in my room or the courtyard. Weather is a big factor in the prevalence of insects in the Caribbean.

Don't bring your rental car here. You won't need it. There is no parking available except next door at the Marriott at $18/day. Take the cabs or buses. We road the bus to Old San Juan for .75 cents.

The Wi-Fi works great in the lobby and some rooms that are close to the lobby. Their wi-fi server blocks Youtu be, Imgur, Vimeo, and some others which I think is over doing it a bit. I mean, block Youtube? The hotel's promotional video is on Youtube.

If you are a traveler and want to stay in a great spot at a reasonable cost and get to know the local scene, El Canario is for you. If you are a tourist and expect to have the Hyatt experience at the Motel 6 price, maybe you should choose a more expensive place.

Do not confuse this place with El Canario By The Lagoon, which is a different place with different owners.

The correct web site for this El Canario is: http://www.canarioboutiquehotel.com/

For best results with small hotels always call them directly and book your stay. Booking through Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, etc. just puts you two or three steps away from the source. I got the best deal by talking to the Inn directly.

Room Tip: Room 107 is the only room by the courtyard. Rooms near the front of the inn get wi-fi in the room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank SailRick
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Before our cruise we stayed on the first floor for 1 night and really loved the location! On return we stayed for 3 night's on the 3rd floor and realised there were NO LIFTS in the Inn. The breakfast is really just an old pastry and coffee and juice, which didn't bother us too much as the outside area was nice. However, the toilets don't flush easily, the window facing the road wouldn't close and mosquito bites keep u up all night scratching! My husband and I were bitten all over our feet, legs, arms spoiling our entire stay in PUERTO RICO. Also the receptionist can be quite arrogant, she doesn't listen and takes forever to explain something or give directions in English.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Here is my email I sent to corporate. I have yet to get a call or email back regarding this issue. DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL. I sent this email November 28, 2012 today is December 18, 2012. I have called, and think they ignore the calls due to caller I.D.

My email:

Hello Ms. Alicia, initially we were suppose to check in on the 21st. Unfortunately, my fiance and I were delayed due to his military responsibilities. We called to change our check in to the 22nd. Once connected to the hotel by Orbitz, the hotel manager got on the phone. SHE'S A VERY RUDE PERSON. We explained we needed to make changes. She questioned us like we were dirt on the floor, not clients at your place of business. She said, "Why are you changing?" "Why will you be late?" "What time will you arrive at the hotel?" "If you need something again it will be a different story so it's best you tell me now." I've been in sales/customer service for 14 years and never get this tone with clients. She speaks to you like you're nothing as if you're beneath her. I told her we would talk tomorrow because I don't like speaking to people over the phone when they have this attitude. My fiance also spoke to her because of her attitude. We got to the hotel we told her we would like to see if we could make changes. She stated," I told you today would be a different story." I told her, "like I said yesterday I like to speak to people in person when they have a bad attitude." From the horrible interaction over the phone and check in I wanted to leave your establishment. I don't care if I'm getting my hair done, at a restaurant, hotel etc you should be respected. Once in the room the floors were nasty, the ceiling fan covered with dust, and the showers don't get scrubbed. The final straw was the amount of mosquito bites. I called for spray around 10 pm nobody came. I told the woman in the morning on the 22nd mosquitoes were inside our room, nobody came to help the night. This was a younger girl with light hair. I asked if she knew about the mosquitoes in the room. Her answer was umm hmm. I know you have a ten day policy, due to the disrespect, filthiness, and bugs I'm asking corporate to help me with the refund, at least 75%. The manager at the hotel declined Orbitz's request for a refund. Our vacation was ruined, we really wanted to stay walking distance from the beach.

Yes we were in PR, but getting bites all night isn't right. I have yet to get bites at any other hotel inside of my room in San Juan. The health inspectors should pay a visit, no telling what they will find.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I spent one night. The location is great. It's on the main strip but not in the center of it. You have to find your own parking & they have some sort of deal through Marriott next door. It might be worth it to find out what their rates are.

The continental breakfast sucked. The pastries were dry and the OJ was horrible. The staff is friendly and the hotel was clean, but small. You have plenty of dining options, paying for their in house food would be silly.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had booked 2 overnights at El Canario; 1 night prior to a cruise and 1 night following a cruise.

When we arrived for the first night, there was another couple arguing with the clerk about a lost booking. While they were waiting on a call back from the manager, we tried to check in. We discoverd that our reservation was lost as well. We booked through "Book-it", the other couple booked through "Expedia". They did locate another hotel for both of us that they seemed to have an asociation with.

I do not believe the reservations were "lost"....I believe we were bumped... There was a street fare going on and all the hotels on the strip were booked. I believe El Canario decided that they could get more cash out of other customers since we had paid only $65 and they "lost" our reservations in favor of higher paying customers.

The stay returning from our cruise was uneventful. We checked in without problems. The location was good as it is located in the main drag. The room was clean but very small. The bed was not comfortable. The decor was old.

If what you want is a place to flop...this will work. Just make sure you have a back-up plan if management decides that others will pay more than you did!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I needed a hotel for just one night between flights and this was great. It is an $18 taxi ride from the airport taking only about 10 minutes. THe location is great, near the beach and lots of lively restaurants. The staff are helpful to suggest places to eat. The room is clean and basic, bed and a small shower, window air conditioner and large ceiling fan. There is free WiFi in the lounge downstairs but not in the room. The included breakfast is just pastries, coffee, juice and cereals but there are lots of places nearby to eat if you want more. Just be aware there is no elevator and you have to carry your bags up one or two flights of stairs to your room so not suitable if you have difficulty with stairs. Overall, it's a great budget choice for a stay in San Juan.

Room Tip: No elevator so ask for a lower floor if you don't like climbing stairs with your bags.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo