“I would stay here again!”
Review of Hotel Iberia

Hotel Iberia
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
“I would stay here again!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

After reading other reviews I was nervous about my up coming stay here. I must say some of them seem a little harsh. I am very happy with my choice to book this hotel. The staff are VERY friendly and helpful. The building is very charming on the inside. Our room is clean and the AC is working just fine. The bed is rather uncomfortable but not too bad. I do recommend bringing your own bed spread, the one in our room is pretty old. We brought sheets with us. The bathroom is clean. We also have access to a very nice terrace! If you are looking for a 5 star hotel don't book this hotel. If you are looking for an average room, good value, great costomer service, good location and overall nice experience book this hotel. I feel the lock on the door is sufficient. You get a key to your room (door is always locked) and a key to the front door which is also always locked. There is also a sliding door chain. The hotel is also close to the airport. About a 10 minute ride for around $20. I am only staying here for 2 nights before going on a cruise but if I ever come back to this area I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Jennifer W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 26, 2013

First off, let me say how kind and gracious Sr. Cristobel is. I called to say I would be very late checking in, around 11 pm rather than 1 pm due to a missed flight. He told me not to worry and said to call when the plane landed so a car would be waiting. I did and it was, no problem. He met me at the front door and got me all situated. I was starving because I was upset about my missed flight and hadn't eaten. He told me about the 24 hour store on the next corner. After unloading my bags i came back downstairs and he walked me across the street and into the parking lot of the store. When I came back at about midnight he was waiting up for me to make sure I made it back safely. Now, i don't know about the rest of you, but I have NEVER had a hotelier do that for me, ever! Yes, the room was very small and spartan and not the greatest. There was only one lock on the door, at first glance I wasn't so sure about the bedding, the plumbing dripped, and I had to jiggle the toilet handle. However, I wasn't in Puerto Rico to sit in my room. I saw Sr. Cristobel personally changing linen the next morning so I knew it was done on the regular. He lives on the property so was aware of anything going on. He advised me on places to go and things to do and how to get there. As a woman traveling alone, you don't know how good it felt to know someone was looking out for me and paying attention to when I left and returned, for my safety's sake. The building itself is beautiful and full of charm. Sr. Cristobel told me it was a house over 100 yrs old I think that was turned into a hotel. I love the ambiance even though the restaurant and terraces were closed. I could imagine the beauty of the place once they really got everything up and running. I went the week of Halloween in October, 2011 (the site would only let me choose 2012). The location is fantastic and I wasn't fearful of walking the neighborhood in the evenings. Restaurants, major museums, and nightlife were close by and the neighborhood itself is lovely. The next time I go to Puerto Rico I want to stay outside of San Juan, but I would definitely go back to Hotel Iberia. As someone else pointed it, the place may not be for everyone, but I was satisfied with my stay.

Room Tip: The view from my room wasn't much and the room was small and spartan...I'm not sure another...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Angel S
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Hotel Iberia is an amazing place to stay. I have been staying there for many years. The hotel is in a super great location, walking distance from the beach, is across a 24-hour supermarket and has great parking space. It is extremely clean and the staff take care of your every need. It is central enough to everything, but far enough where you can get amazing restful sleep. This hotel provides you with FREE cable, WIFI, and the air conditioning is amazing!!!! Don Cristobal is super welcoming, super friendly, and has always welcomed me with open arms. I always feel like im coming back home. Once you stay there, you will always come back.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank oscar47369
SJ
Reviewed July 7, 2013

On July 4, I stay at Hotel Iberia. The experience was fantastic, very nice, the staff is excellent, clean and comfortable rooms. The hotel is right near the beach. The cost per night was economic. I recommend it. I plan to stay at the next Christmas

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank EdJoseph
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went to this hotel because the rest of the hotels were full. There were holes in the blanket, and not small ones. Although the staff was friendly, it was obvious that whomever is in charge does count on repeat guests. I really would not recommend this place to anyone. $100.00 is what I paid and I've never felt so cheated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Teddy D
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is terrible! First mistake booking room on booking.com. Second mistake was expecting a decent room, wasn't looking for luxury but necessities would have been nice. There is no safe as listed on line so we didn't leave anything in the room. AC never got below 78 even on turbo setting. No clock in room, only 1 plug to charge phone which is across the room & 5 feet high so leaves hanging under tv. The sink constantly dripped, shower was wet when we got here. Worst of all a big red sign said do not put paper in toilet, but a tiny sign says a $250 fee for stopping up toilet. There is only a chain lock on the door & I can break in that if I wanted so we,2 women, didn't feel very safe. We originally booked 3 nights, based upon reviews we read &e can barely take 1. The hotel refused to refund us the 2 nights we didn't stay, booking.com refused to help either. Its not worth the $400 for 3 nights & they should be ashamed asking that much.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Txhotelgirlz
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Rip off!!!!!! Room was bare bones. No phone no clock no cups. Ice was Coleman cooler with drinking spout on it. Ripped bedspread. Stained sheets. AC would not go lower than 78 degrees. TV had 2 watchable stations. Cannot flush paper down toilet and will be charged $250 if you stop up up toilet. Reserved room thru Booking.com which was a mistake in itself. Booked for 3 nights could barely tolerate staying 1st night. Had prepaid at check in and hotel would only refunded one night even though we were owed refund for 2nd & 3rd night. Their pictures are nothing like what you get. Did not feel safe at all. Thank goodness I was not traveling alone. Kind of felt like I was in a hostel.

• Stayed February 2013