New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Iberia

Hotel Iberia
Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Redwood City, California
“2 star room, 5 star service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The staff was friendly and genuine and took a lot of time to explain the area, things to do, how to get around, and even some history. Everyone working there seemed to enjoy their job and I felt safe and at home. The reception was available all night, just in case anything happened.

The staff clearly put effort into making the rooms comfortable - the room smelled very clean upon arrival, the air conditioning had been turned on to cool the room down, towels were replaced and beds were made each day, and they even folded some of our laundry. Unfortunately this did not make up for the poor physical condition of the room. The tiles were stained, the mirror was corroded, and most annoyingly the water took 10-15 minutes to get "hot".

Location was mediocre - there was a nice plaza/beach within walking distance, and a supermarket across the street, but you still have to drive to Old San Juan.

This hotel was very reminiscent of the guest houses you will find in SE Asia for $10-15 per night; unfortunately the cost here is >$100 per night so the quality is a little disappointing. That said, it was still $40 cheaper than anything else in San Juan at the time of booking so I can't complain too much.

1 Thank Andrew M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I would definitely stay at Hotel Iberia again. The first reason why is the staff. From the moment we walked in the door, they were nothing but helpful and friendly. They were informative, offered suggestions on where to go, where to eat, etc etc. The second reason is the charm of the hotel. The lobby is just...cute. And the rest of the hotel definitely has charm. It's an old building; don't expect anything modern. But the AC in our room worked great, and we had a nice flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The room was a little sparse, but had everything we needed.
Hotel was pretty easy to find (with directions) and a nice location. I would stay again!

St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We used this as "base camp" for our explorations of PR. It was great! The staff are very nice and the location is within walking distance of Ashford Ave (food, night life, people watching, the Hagen Daz store, shopping, etc).
They also have parking for rental cars and a grocery store next door.
The rooms were as to be expected, but very clean. We would stay again!

Room Tip: Be sure to let them know exactly how many people are in your group, otherwise, you might end up shar...
1 Thank CoconutWireVI
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here three nights. Christopher and the rest of the staff were wonderful. Christopher went beyond the call of duty by going to the beach to recover my lost cell phone from the police. It was waiting for us at the front desk when we returned -- before we even realized it was missing. He has was full of advice on where to go and how to get around.

The room was small and a little noisy from traffic and people in the hallway. The AC worked great but it was too loud to try run while sleeping. The bathroom fan was very loud too. The mattress seemed a little broken down. As other reviews have indicated, the roof top terrace is nice but it seems like they are not taking advantage of its potential as a place for guests to have breakfast or drinks. Also agree with others that the hotel's location makes it a little isolated from where the action is at the beach and dining spots --two long blocks to the north. If I was returning to Condado I would likely upgrade to one of the small inns closer to the water.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

When I stay at a hotel oozing with mediocrity, I want the staff to be rude, so I don't feel so guilty criticizing the place. Unfortunately this was not the case at Hotel Iberia. The staff was exceptionally nice. The owner Christopher was a complete gentleman. He was kind, helpful, and spent a significant amount of time giving me directions to get around and helping me plan my itinerary. I really liked the location as well. It was surrounded by nice houses in Condado, and not a terribly far walk to the beach (roughly 10 minutes). The 24hr grocery store next door was nice too. Also we left something in the hotel and the staff called me and left me a message as soon as it was discovered.
Unfortunately, the hotel was a very budget hotel for not a very budget price. If I were paying half the price, I would not mind the old outdated furniture, the dankness, and the cheap linens. However, at over $120 for a double for a US hotel, you except at least a little quality. I know Condado is not cheap, and I know $100 isn't tons of money for a hotel, but there are a few basics that should be provided. We never had hot water during the stay, the water pressure was horrible, and it would take 45 minutes for the toilet tank to get refilled before you could flush again. Again, not stuff I would mind if I was staying in a hostel or paying budget prices. I wouldn't stay here again if there were other options for the same price, but if all the other viable options were over $200 (like it was the weekend I was there), then I'd maybe consider going back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The staff was very friendly. We got first class service when it came to getting directions or restaurant recommendation, extra pillows, ice, and a replacement shower knob.

The parking lot fits 3.5 cars. Do not park in the side street unless you want your tires stolen in the middle of the night. If you can't park in the parking lot, park in the grocery store lot next door.

The room could have been a cleaner. They obviously "cleaned" it just when we arrived as it smelled strongly of lysol and pledge swhen we entered. There was sand in the corner when we arrived on Saturday. We left to travel the island and returned the following Friday to find the sand was still there.

The interior of the building with its steps is unique but may be difficult for disabled travelers. The rooftop provides a nice view and relaxing spot.

Overall the room wasn't horrible. The staff was great. And it was comfortable enough for the price we paid. It is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, the beach and not far from the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SeanT198
Mooers, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

First impression I was a little concerned...The staff put me at ease right away, they go way above the top to help with whatever you need, for example I forgot the charger for my cellphone, without hesitation I was handed his charger "use it as long as you need" with directions to the local radioshack. Sure as other reviews go over it's not the Ritz, I don't like staying at the Ritz...The room is clean, it's in a nice location, close to great restaurants. We stayed one night pre-cruise. Felt I made a good choice. Don't forget to take advantage of the rooftop sitting area, great views. We went next door to the grocery store, had a great hot food tak-out service plus a couple of cold ones the rooftop was a great place to head back too for lunch.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family