“A Great Base to see Old San Juan and Have a Huge Pool with Beach!”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Washington, New York
“A Great Base to see Old San Juan and Have a Huge Pool with Beach!”
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Stayed at the Caribe Hilton in the Villas section with a full kitchen, terrific value, overlooking the lagoon and listening to the waves day and night. The entire property has wonderful service. Started each day with a great buffet with an omlette station better than any reception. Having champagne with my OJ was a nice touch. Great fresh fruit!
My wife and I had a massage at the spa as part of a package - my wife had a manicure and I got a pedicure - awesome! We swam in the pools and in the ocean. What I liked the most was the view from all angles you can see palm trees, ocean waves, pool and even having to walk through a bird sanctuary with several very colorful peacocks was a daily treat.
Good value, good food and great staff. Good hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thank you, for your wonderful review about our hotel, we really appreciate that you took some of your valuable time to share your experience with us. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. This is a great motivation for our staff to continue delivering great service. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,575)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I can't remember a better vacation! The hotel is in a perfect location to be the home base for exploring San Juan. Our room was in the Garden section of the hotel and provided a lovely view through the hotel's natural area to the ocean and a fairly private balcony with a small table. Room was clean and comfortable, and complete with fridge, which is very convenient! The pool area was fantastic for our 7 and 8 year old daughter and son - they made lots of friends, and we had a clear view of their activities through all areas of the pool. The beach part was very nice for families as it was calm, and provided decent snorkeling for the beginner - our son loved this feature. The bartenders at the pool bar were so much fun, and we ended up purchasing our drinks by the pitcher, which was convenient and less expensive than by the glass - the margaritas are really good!
I suggest using any breakfast coupon and upgrading to the full breakfast - kids 12 and under are free in the full buffet, and the adults are only a $15 upgrade, which is great for those of us who like champagne with breakfast, as it's included on the buffet - self serve mimosas with fresh squeezed orange juice are always a good thing!
We can't wait to go back to the Hilton Caribe, the perfect spot for us and for our children!

Wilmington NC
Reviewed March 5, 2011

The location of the Caribe Hilton is about as good as you can get. It sits on it's own peninsula with private beach, two scenic forts, pools, tennis, spa, restaurants. It is probably the closest "non-city" hotel to Old San Juan, and a short cab ride to Condado area. We had an oceanview room with balcony, and enjoyed breakfast and late afternoon wine enjoying the view. The room was comfortable, the public areas, lobby and grounds were beautiful and well kept. The service was friendly and prompt throughout. Victor is a fabulous bartender, and the lobby bar was pleasant. The service at the outdoor bar was lacking at times. Would give them five stars, except for two little items. Concierge service was not as good as it should have been. The continental breakfast room was bedlam; noisy and not a very good selection. Ended up taking advantage of Starbucks, and the regular breakfast restaurant. But, this is definitely THE place to stay for location, looks and general amenities.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dover, NH
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton while attending a conference at the big Conference Center (15 minutes walk from the Hilton). My wife and 2-year-old came along for the trip as well. At one point, taking a shuttle bus back from the conference, I ended up riding past all the hotels in the conference block, which were all the major hotels in Condado and Isla Verde, since the Hilton was the last shuttle stop (hence the walk thereafter). From what I saw the Caribe Hilton was easily the best hotel. It's location is fantastic, but it's facilities were obviously superior.

The hotel pool and private beach are quite simply fantastic. My wife and kid spent five whole days outside in the sand and water and at the playground, and they never got bored. Anything except a private cabana is free, so you don't have to worry about paying for a beach chair, umbrella, towel or hammock. In fact, they had a guy who comes by with a drill and pops an umbrella next to you in exactly the right spot. From our room we could see the beach at the Conrad down the street, and it was pathetic compared to the beach at the Hilton, which is probably why nobody seemed to use it.

We had a room in the tower, which was fine. We had a huge king bed and a crib for our son. The bathroom was updated with a huge shower, and we loved the balcony. At night we could put on of the room's lamps on the balcony and relax and read while our son went to sleep inside the room.

We ate at all the eateries on-site except the steakhouse. The continental breakfast was OK, nothing to write home about but perfectly adequate. They could inform you better though about the selections (eggs, french toast etc) that are on display but cost more. The food and drinks at Club Pina Colada were outstanding, we ate there multiple times. The frozen mojito and Pina Colada were amazing there. Definitely eat there if you stay at the Hilton.

We also are at Lemongrass, which is the on-site Asian fusion restaurant. It's setting is amazing, inside a gorgeous garden, but this meal was the lowlight of our stay. The service was simply atrocious, taking over half an hour just to get us menus and water with lots of waitstaff seemingly doing nothing. With a young child waiting that long is not fun. My wife and son's meals came out first, while my meal came out half an hour after theirs. They had no children's menu, but cooked up some chicken fingers for our son, then tried to charge us $20 for them! When we complained they reduced the price by half, but still, it's just four chicken fingers. The entire experience was infuriating, which is too bad, since the food was pretty good and the setting was idyllic. I would give this place a pass until they clean up their act, however.

Overall the Hilton was fantastic, and we would recommend it to anyone staying in San Juan, since you can both enjoy the beach and also get into Old San Juan easily by bus or taxi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
West Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Caribe from 2/22/11 until 3/1/11. I was with my five teenage sons. The Hotel has a great resort atmosphere. It is clean and absolutely beautiful. We had a wonderful suite and great views. The boys could go to the ocean, play basketball, or use the pools. Great views and wonderfully maintained grounds. Our only recommendation is that the hotel place more emphasis on two key areas: the initial welcome and the young staff members focusing on the guests rather than their cellular phones. Upon arrival our room was not ready. We waited an additional hour and a half. The welcome staff did not apologize and were not sensitive to the fact that we had just flown and we were tired hoping to get settled into the room. I feel that the welcome is key to your customer service and staff should be more focused on ensuring that the inital contact with the hotel is pleasant and welcoming. Secondly, the young staff tend to be constantly on their cell phones texting or talking. They dont awknowledge guests until they are off their call or finished with their text. Management should make a rule that no cellular phones be used while working. Young staff in the parking garage and around the grounds spend too much time chatting and not attending to guests questions or needs.
Overall, I think with these changes the Hotel Caribe could be first rate. We loved the hotel! We would definitely return!

1 Thank drbrianjrachmaciej
Boston
Reviewed March 2, 2011

2 of my friends and I traveled to Puerto Rico for a week in the sun. We looked at various hotels to stay at for our stay but settled on the Hilton Caribe. It could not have been a better stay. The hotel is so nice, people are friendly and food/drinks were delicious. I can't wait to come back to the Caribe.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sunscreen74
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Only a 10-15 minute drive from the airport and a only 2 miles from Old San Juan making this hotel a convenient location!
When we first walked in the open-aired lobby and seen the ocean view, I literally got a tear in my eye...It was beautiful!
Unfortunately, when we got to our room and it wasn't as clean as I had expected and was in need of updating (carpet, bathroom). After one night in the hotel we killed at least 11 types of ants/bugs. (These were NOT bed buds!) I called first thing in the morning (8 AM) to get moved into another room and the customer service was HORRIBLE! It wasn't until 6 PM that we were in a new room. The manager offered us a discount for a meal after I complained the 3rd time about how inconvenienced we were. A DISCOUNT?! I am sorry that was not enough. I declined the discount and just told her all I wanted was a new room.
Once we were moved into our new room, I was able to finally relax. The new room was slightly cleaner and had a beautiful view of the ocean. Most importantly....NO bugs!
Another complaint I have is that everything was overpriced, i.e. $9.00 for a virgin piano colada!
I also wish they had live entertainment and nightly activities. I also think music should be playing at all times.
The private beach area was great! They had a rock wall built in the water to prevent big waves, which was perfect for our young children. The grounds were clean. We participated in many activities on site, such as chess, the playground, rental of kayaks and cabana, lounging on the hammocks, dining, beach/pool, beach toys, workout room, and yoga on the beach! The pools were clean and beautiful.
Overall, this was a great vacation and a beautiful resort...Especially for families. I would recommend to friends with kids.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!