“Great hotel before or after a cruise”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
st charles
“Great hotel before or after a cruise”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

The Caribe Hilton has a private beach which is excellent. It is away from the airport so you don't hear any jets unlike if you stay by the airport. A taxi ride to the cruise ships are 5 min so you don't have to leave early. The staff is very friendly. The beach is great. They have a water trampoline and an ice climbing block in the water, great for kids. The food is quite pricey so opt for Starbucks for breakfast and subway for lunch or dinner. Otherwise a great place to go before a cruise or after.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,556)
  • Polish first
Colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Beautiful, elegant, friendly, courteous. Stayed 2 nights prior to departing on a cruise. Close to pier; however, hotel does not offer shuttle service from airport or to the pier. Always ask the price of the taxi service, varies. The pools were wonderful and the lagoon was fantastic. Do not eat breakfast at the hotel...the buffet is pricey..$25 p/person, but it was very good. Several restaurants onsight..ate evening meal at the restaurant by Tower C...wonderful food, a little pricey. Took a taxi to Old Town, clean, beautiful and full of history...a must when visiting. Our taxi driver gave the 3 of us a one hr guided tour of Old Town for $50. Will be returning for an extended stay, but will look for another hotel slightly cheaper than $300 p/nt.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Juniordelarosa, Hotel Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
Thank you very much for choosing the Caribe Hilton hotel as your home away from home during your resent vacations in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico, Our commitment is to guarantee our guest a hassle free stay, I am glad you enjoyed your stay in San Juan, and would like to thank you for your valuable comments, please note that our rate varied depending on the season and we have rates available for every occasions, feel free to contact us and inquire about our packages and discounted rate for your next trip and I am sure we would be able to find a rate that may satisfy your needs. Once again thank you for your comments, Blade De La Rosa, Hhonors Manager.
Suwanee, GA
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Sorry very long - My family of 4 (3yr old & 10 yr old) visited the Hilton for 7 days beg. April 1st. Now we did pay the full price of $300per night so I am basing my review on that as well! We arrived and waited for our room only about an hour (we were early). We headed out to the grill next to the pool and had lunch - what a great start. The Mahi Mahi was perfect and only $16, we were not drinking much because of the kids, but did have to try the Pina Colada's (they originated at this hotel). They are $13 each. So if you are a drinker, you will blow some money! We first booked the villa for the kitchenette, but it looked straight onto a crane and the highway bridge, we changed to a standard room which was actually larger. They are filming a movie here (starring Johhny Depp) so all the villa suites and good rooms are taken. Room was ok, balcony was a little scary - did not let kids near it, railing was a little wobbly and very small. SUNBLOCK!!!! We reapplied but kids still got burned first day, the cool wind is very tricky, you don't realize how intense the sun is, we ended up reapplying every 30 mins to make sure.
KIDS ACTIVITIES: The kids club (drop off club) was not open and did not get clear answer on what dates is was open, they do have an arcade and an area to play in the arcade. There is a trampoline in the ocean - must be able to swim well to get there, also a climbing iceberg. My 10 year old loved these. He loved to snorkle so it was fun for him, perfect beach for little ones, my 3 yr old had a blast making castles and the water is calm for her to splash around in. Pools were awesome! The paddle boats and water riders are $25 per 1/2hr. To much for us, but looked fun. Kids can feed fish off pier, there are swans, and peacocks, and coi fish near Lemongrass rest. On the website it offered 4 hrs of Nanny Service with package, glad i printed that off cause they said they no longer offer this, but did honor cause i had a copy of it. Nanny service is safe, but that's about it (she managed to rent 5 ppv movies w/in 4 hrs???? - concierge actually took 3 of the movies off our bill - which was very nice. (Nanny service is $25 per hour w/4 hr min)
DINING - was good. Lemongrass was good. All others were awesome, Breakfast did run us $60 every morning until we found the Subway across the street and had breakfast that was good for $16. I suggest taking the kids across the street to subway for lunch a couple days and or am. Also, this sounds stupid but also take them to the liquor store across the street, it has soda, candy, chips, etc half the price of the hotel - we made daily trips there. Mortons Steak house was $300 for our dinner! and my 3 yr old did not order, she had some of mine. Not worth the money, was very good though, but your on vaca so you do what you can :) Kids only eat free and 1/2 price for hot dogs & Chicken fingers at the grill, and for breakfast. You pay full price everywhere else and they dont have kids menus at morton's, hence the 300 bill :)
SERVICE - Very good, all were accommodating to kids and always friendly to us.
**Take bus during day, only 3 min walk to stop and 50cents, but they dont take dollars must have change - it is safe
** Parrot club in Old San Juan was good dinner with kids
**Cafe Puerto Rico in Old San Juan was awesome for lunch!
**Domino's does deliver to Hilton :) Still $30 but that's cheap dinner there
**Breakfast Avg - $60
**Lunch Avg - $60-80
**Dinner Avg - $80+ (norm was $120)

I wanted to see more of Puerto Rico but all the kids wanted was beach and pool, so that is all we did. And i was ok with that, this trip was for them (their 1st plane ride also). Did not do any excursions, it was an hour ride away to get to boat docks, not up for that with the kids. They did not care anyway. Overall, was great time, would not return. Not because of Hotel or Hilton, but we would rather do an all-inlcusive somewhere else. All-inlcusive would be more budget friendly with kids. My husband travels everyweek and we have been to all inclusives so we do know what to expect from resorts and hotels, this was a very nice hotel overall just very expensive, but we knew that going into it :) Happy Travels!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank vacaMomGA
Juniordelarosa, hotel manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
Thank you very much for your valuable comments and suggestions to future guests visiting our property, and thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton hotel for your vacation, I do apologize for the nanny on call advertising, the service is not longer available, I will have the website revise to make the correction and avoid any misunderstanding with our guests, our kids camp is open during summer only dates may starting date may change, our hotel is family oriented, however kids eat free or half price only at the hotel restaurants, not in concessionaires establishments. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we will continue to offer the best of our service culture to families and corporate guests. Thank you for your valuable comments, Blade De La Rosa, Hhonrs manager.
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I rarely spend this much on a hotel, but we'd thought we'd splurge for a night of relaxing by the beach after our Caribbean cruise. I'm a Hilton HHonors Gold member, and reserved a standard ocean-view room, and received an ocean-view room from the new tower. The hotel consists of three parts: the old tower built in 1949, the new tower, and the time-share suites in a more secluded part of the hotel past the garden and duck ponds.
I have to say this hotel really wowed me. It's a visual feast, almost on par with the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island (and unlike the Big Island's Hilton, the pool here is heated). Unlike most of Puerto Rico's beaches, which are public by law, this beach is man-made and private. There is a breakwater to keep the water calm and safe for the children, but I didn't find it made the water stagnant, unlike what other reviewers felt. The lobby was beautiful, with macaws and free fruit punch. The beach was beautiful, and there was a trampoline and "iceberg" in the water, which was harder to climb than it looks (I only made it half-way up, and I'm not fat). The drinks and pool-side food were not that expensive by luxury beach hotel standards. The mixed drinks were $10, including a Coco Loco made with 151-proof rum which will knock your socks off. We got a turkey wrap with fries for about $7--enough to share. The main pool is also beautiful, with a mini waterfall, and a wade-up bar.
There is a pretty little garden with a duck pond, amply filled with blue dye for some reason (the swans' bellies were blue due to the dye). There are also a couple of peacocks and geese wandering in the area, as well as a centuries-old fort which is currently closed to the public, but nice to look at from the beach or rooms.
Our room on the 13th floor was beautiful, with a nice balcony where we could sit in the evening sipping beers and watching the cruise ships leave for the eastern Caribbean. On our floor, we were a little too low to see over the old tower to the hotel beach, but we did have a good view of Condado, the fort, and the Conrad Hilton's beach. I had the sense that our place was nicer, although I have to say that I haven't stayed at the Conrad. I think one would have to be at least on the 15th floor to see over the old tower to this hotel's beach. The room was REALLY quiet--I didn't hear a peep from any neighbors--above, below, or to the side.
The location is rather good in that it's within walking distance of both the Condado area and Old San Juan (about a mile or so in either direction). Although it's a bit of a walk, there are tons of great places to eat in either Condado or old San Juan, so we didn't eat at the hotel (except the free Continental breakfast buffet for Gold members).
My only two complaints were fairly minor: (1) the drink/snack service to the beach was very infrequent--I don't know why, since I'm sure she earned plenty in tips, and (2) I wish they had made a bit of an effort to have our room ready by 3 PM, when we checked in at 10 AM. Yes, I realize they have until 3 PM to get our room ready, but since they knew we were there, they could have called housekeeping to ask them to speed things up.
Well, with the resort fee, taxes, and internet, it came to over $300 for the night, which is quite pricey. That being said, I really like the place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank lebelgo
Thank you very much for such a detailed reviewed regarding our hotel, it is very nice to read your comments and the way you describe every experience you had during your stay, your review make me feel proud of our team and show that our efforts to deliver our founder promise are reaching our guests, I would like to apologize for the time taken to have your room ready and for the infrequent service at the beach area and promise you that we will address this facts right away. Thank you very much for your wonderful and valuable comments. Blade De La Rosa, Hhonors manager.
New York
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Just returned from a relaxing stay at the Caribe Hilton. It's not the most beautiful beach on the island because it's man made, but it serves its purpose. There were plenty of beach chairs and loved that they drilled the umbrellas into the sand where you ask. Traveling with a 3-month old, I was worried that we would have to fight to find shade, but that wasn't the case. There were also a lot of different nooks to relax. It seemed that families with young children stayed on the beach, the college crowd hung out on the round dock and everybody else was pool or jetty side. I could see that as a plus if you're traveling with a large group and wanted to get some quiet time. Loved that kids under 12 eat free -- although the food isn't that good and way over priced as everyone has mentioned in their reviews. However, there is a free pina colada tasting at 1:00pm at the pool bar every day. If you don't mind virgins, they let you take as many as you want in tiny cups. Perfect size for the kids. Our room was okay. We booked a standard with points then upgraded to the junior suite upon arrival. The standard was just way too small for 2 adults, a 3-year old and a 3-month old. I saw in another review that the outlet in their wall was falling out with wires exposed. That was the case in our room as well. Wasn't too happy with housekeeping. They literally just made the bed and neglected to do turndown completely. One big plus ... the night we arrived our 3-year old woke in the middle of the night with a double ear infection. We called the front desk and they had a doctor in our room by 9:30 the next morning. We could have gotten a prescription from our home doctor, but it was good to have someone actually confirm the infection. The doctor did not speak English well, but my husband speaks Spanish.

2 Thank beefsterNY
Juniordelarosa, HHonors manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 13, 2009
Thank you very much for completing such a complete and informative review, we take our guest comments very seriously this is the only way we will soon become the first choice of traveler to Puerto Rico. I would like to apologize for the wire situation and will pass your comments to our executive housekeeper and our chief engineering, we are working to create the perfect ambience for families and other guests and your comments will assist us to create awareness and retrain our employees. Looking forward to serve you in the future and please feel free to contact me directly whenever you are planning to visit us again. Blade De La Rosa, HHonors manager.
Crystal Lake IL
Reviewed April 5, 2009

On arrival, had room that after our first night, was woken up EARLY by service workers and trucks. Asked for a change in rooms and went down to hotel beach to wait. While at beach, went on trampoline that it turns out was in water substantially less in depth then it should have been, struck head and had to go to hospital. (Hotel security dropped us off then left us to figure out how to get back). After over four hours in emergency room, finally was released. Couldn't go into water for rest of week and hotel appeared to care less. Was told they would turn it over to their insurance company by hotel and corp, still waiting to hear back plus months after. They just don't care! Would absolutely not stay again.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank jaw-illinois
Juniordelarosa, Hilton Honors Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 13, 2009
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, I would like to apologize for the unfortunate incident you encounter while staying in our property, our commitment is to deliver our guests healthy entertainment where they can enjoy our many attraction during their stay in our property, however ever attraction and out hotel as any other customer service provider company is always looking for the creation of rules and procedures capable of taking our guest experience to maximum level of satisfaction and safety, we are aware that our trampoline in a no deep beach and the idea is to jump in the trampoline no from the trampoline as our multiple signs state, our security department will contact the insurance company again to check the status of your claim and we will be contacting you back, this is the only case we have regarding an accident in the trampoline and I will do my best until the insurance company contact you with the final resolution. I am sorry you feel that way and if you give us the opportunity we can try to change your perception and show the real service culture that we process. Thank you for completing the review with your valuable comments. Blade De La Rosa, Hhonors Manager
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We were placed in the Hilton Honors tower on the 16th floor, with our balcony facing the ocean. If you are a Hilton honors member, included in your stay will be coupons for the Continental breakfast; which we enjoyed daily. I would park in the parking garage since it is not that far and we either took taxis or walked to most destinations. There is a $5 difference between valet and self park. If you have a car; you pay either way. The layout of the hotel had an open Carribbean feel to it. There is a Starbucks and several restaurants on site. The price of food and drinks was high. 2 beers cost us $16.00. Lunch one day on site was $64.00 which did include a couple of Pina Coladas. The computer in the business center was free the first 5 minutes and a charge assessed beyond. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for your resent review, the commitment of the Caribe Hilton hotel management team is to provide our guest a legendary, hassle free stay, our Hilton Honors member gold and diamond now can access my way program to select the benefit they prefer in order to enhance their experience and take satisfaction to the next level. Thank you very much for completing the review. Looking forward to serve you in the near future. Blade De La Rosa. Hhonors manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,141 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!