“Nicely appointed hotel for a few days, but looking a bit tired now”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Nicely appointed hotel for a few days, but looking a bit tired now”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights in a 2 bedroom, 2 floor suite on floor 20 of the Tower with a lagoon view since we managed to get a deal. I don't think I would have stayed as long otherwise.
The hotel is well appointed, and has friendly staff as you would expect. There is a multi-level pool with a bar and a secluded private beach. Having snorkel equipment for hire was useful and there are several fish on the reef at the edge of the bay, about 100 yds out.
There are many places to eat and drink within the hotel complex, including the nauseatingly ever-present Starbucks. There are also a few small shops in the complex and others across the street, where you can also rent a car. Don't forget to factor in the overpriced $20 overnight parking lot charge though!

The hotel was built in the 50's and has some great architecture, although it has been expanded considerably over the years into a sprawling complex.

This is a great place to just relax and hang out but you need to take a cab into Old San Juan to do anything, unless you fancy a 45 minute walk in the heat. Having said that, at least it's not in the midst of the hotel jumble of Condado over the bridge

Overall a good base, although the decor was in need of a revamp and the AC was very noisy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank uktravailer
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to response our survey, your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve.

Looking forward to welcome you and your family back soon

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
  • Polish first
Tilton, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Caribe Hilton for our 20th anniversary trip from June 24th-June 30th. As is often the case as gold Hilton Honors members, we received an ocean view room upgrade even though we had only booked a standard room. We were also pleasantly surprised upon check in to receive several drink coupons since they knew we were celebrating a special occasion. The room was great--very clean and comfortable.

Our first experience with the service was not as pleasant, however. Shortly after getting ourselves settled in and unpacked, we decided to head to the pool bar/restaurant for drinks and appetizers. The atmosphere at the pool area was pure party--very loud and crowded, and not a seat to be had...no problem, there were plenty of seats in the pool bar area. Unfortunately, we sat there for 25 minutes without anyone so much as acknowledging our presence (despite the fact that the bar was far from full and waiters were walking by our table constantly.) I finally went up to the bar tender to ask if we could have a menu, and he exasperatedly replied that our waiter would be right over. After another 15-20 minutes of waiting, we left and decided to try the restaurant inside.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay, but the service in the entire hotel was hit or miss--some really great, friendly, helpful people (like Humberto by the beach/pool area) and some really ambivalent. We'd consider coming to San Juan again, but if we return I think we'll try the El San Juan...also a Hilton property; very well kept and beautiful grounds, and a great BBQ place on the rooftop.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christy C
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I am so sorry that our staff was not more attentive towards you and that they did not provide you the customer service you deserve. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us. I assure you that it’s contrary to what our customers typically see from us. However, I can very much empathize with your situation and assure you that I have taken your comments and shared it with our management team.

Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Staff was extremely helpful in every way. With luggage at the pool and they even told and gave us bread every day to feed all the animals on the grounds and were to give it to the fish in the ocean one of the out door servers showed my daughter how to cut up a whole coconut and get the fresh juice from it. He said he brings it in from his own yard to show the guests what it naturally looks like. Our daughter loved this. (It was a hands on show for her)
We had so much fun at this hotel and loved the security and privacy . We went for a walk down around the other major hotels along the strip and my husband was so thankful I booked the hilton and not any other hotel. This was our third time in San Juan but our first time at this hotel from now on this is our hotel of choice. We stayed 4 days before our cruise and loved each day .

Room Tip: Stay at the main hotel area not in the condos. There is a difference. They give away bread for you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Stella P
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time.

We hope you enjoyed your cruise and look forward to your return

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was here for memorial day wknd for 4days, the hotel and beach was great!!!! But once you got in the room it was awful to the point we had to get disinfect our room. we had small bug (almost like fruit flies) on ever table in our room. No matter how many times we killed and sprayed them, they came back twice as many! and the WORST thing my friend got in the hot tub an had a break out reaction for the rest of trip. When we got home her doctor told her it came from the hot tub not being cleaned properly. I wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Candace G
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you and your family endured while staying with us.

We assure you that our pools and hot tubs are inspected and treated on a daily basis. Again i am so sorry about the reaction. Please let us know how we can be of assistance.

at your service,

Chicago,IL
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We took a family trip for Spring Break to Puerto Rico and booked this hotel based on reviews. It did not disappoint! Loved the pools and protected beach. I sat out on the patio for coffee in the morning while overlooking the ocean and pool areas......I felt like I was on a movie set. So beautiful. Lots of room also so you don't feel like you are on top of others. Rooms were very nice. I don't think there is a bad view from anywhere. Staff was all extremely friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SwimmerGirl6
Hi there! thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay!

thank you again and we look forward to welcome you all back soon

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My family stayed here on our last night in Puerto Rico. I convinced my husband to leave the UTOPIA of the El Con Resort in Fajardo so that we could visit old San Juan for a day before we left. What a mistake in staying here!

First we arrived at noon and upon arrival were told our room probably would not be ready until 4. In our experience with early checkin we can usually safely check our bags and when the room is ready the bags are brought up to the room. Not here, they literally stay on the curb until your room is ready and then you are responsible for bringing them up. Because we wanted to see Old San Juan our choices were to either forgo the visit or take a chance with our bags sitting on the curb all day with no security. In fact we tested this by having my husband go over an hour later and open one of the bags and no one asked for proof the bag was his. In the end we "tipped" a bell boy to have them stored inside an office until our return. We were concerned our bags would not be safe.... little did we know the staff was more of a concern then the traffic going in and out of the hotel!

Our rooms (we had two adjoining) were beautiful, clean and the view as terrific. It's too bad that the incredibly loud guests kept us up all night. (screaming and yelling). At one point we had to ask security (1:30am) to talk to them so we could get some sleep. I have never seen people behave so poorly at a hotel, screaming day and night, from balcony to balcony. No respect for others.

The hotel safe is very high in the closet and unfortunately in our rush to make our flight we left my wallet behind. My husband emptied the safe (or so he thought) but because it is so high and we are not tall he did not see the wallet pushed to the back. Yes this is our error, however We IMMEDIATELY called the hotel and left messages regarding the wallet and were lucky that TSA allowed us on our flight. I worked with the front desk manager and Anna in lost and found and can't say enough about how well I felt they handled the wallet. They were top notch! Anna took care of sending the wallet back to me and I had it within 3 days of our visit. The biggest disappointment was that although the contents of the wallet were confirmed at the front desk, somehow the money went missing while in the hands of the security department. How ironic.

I called the Hotel manager regarding this matter and Nelson was quick to respond, however he promised to get back to us regarding the "missing" cash within a few days and we have heard nothing since. Our conversation was pleasant, I was sure to compliment the staff that was helpful, I just wanted the matter resolved in a appropriate way. It would be nice if a credit in the amount that was taken was applied to our stay but since I haven't head a thing since our first contact I'm assuming it is no longer a priority to Nelson or the management team.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Urban68
Dear Urban68

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you endured while staying with us. As a Manager and a Hotelier, I definitely understand your discomfort and kindly invite you to contact me to further assist you on the mentioned matter.

My email is nelson.torres@hilton.com I will be available to assist you.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is absolutely the most stunning location in all of Puerto Rico. The top notch service, restaurants, bars, pools, and accomodations were incredible- should be rated a 5 star! Great for families, or a romantic getawayIt is a prime beautiful location at the entrance to Old San Juan in close proximity to everything. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!