“Excellent trip”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Granger, Indiana
“Excellent trip”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here for business in January of this year and couldn't have had a better experience. Yes, the food was very pricey but the surroundings and view from the property helped us overcome the price shock of the food. I loved it so much that I will be taking my wife back at the end of May for our wedding anniversary trip. I've been in contact with Ruben Padilla who works at the resort who has been very helpful in helping make sure our experience in May will be an enjoyable one. I did get a chance to run to the other side of the bridge where Condado Plaza Hilton is located while visiting in January. While that property is nice as well you can't beat the private beach located at the Caribe. If you are a workout guru like myself you will also enjoy one of the nicest workout facilities at any hotel I've ever stayed at. Definitely looking forward to my return trip in May.

P.S. The picture is a view from our room on the 7th floor. Breath taking for sure.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hello there! Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your home away from home in beautiful Puerto Rico. It makes us really happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time that you are returning to celebrate your anniversary.

anything you need from us, do not hesitate to let us know. We are at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2014

If you are expecting a 4/5 star service, lower your expectations, but our stay overall was wonderful and the weather of most part collaborated. As other reviews state, hotel is very conveniently located just minutes away from San Juan and Condado. A cab ride will cost you about $12 one way.
Pro- convenient location, beautiful grounds, lemongrass and piña colada restaurants, nice beach area with hammocks.

Con - check in service rude/misleading, room in main building dated/smelly, ice machine on 4th floor broken, no kettle in the room, small coffee making machine, just for coffee no kids club, although advertised as having one, kayak/floater complimentary only for an hour per day

1) Check in
Prior to arriving, I requested an early check in. I was first told (on the phone) that it will cost me $75 dollars and I could have the room as early as 6 am, which I was okay with. We arrived at the hotel at 5 am from other airport and I followed up on my request with the front desk. The clerk was to say the least rude and with an attitude. After nearly 10-15 min of me trying to explain that I was told I would be able to do an early check in, she told me that early check in is no earlier than 9 ( with a 75 dollar fee) and that if I wanted a room now, in would need to pay full night rate. Since we were traveling with a 3 mon old and an 8year old, I was willing to pay the extra 130-150. However , the room we were offered was way too far from the look/beach. I asked to be checked in ASAP, they took my phone number and said that they will call me. Thankfully, there were couches in the lobby, so my husband went to take a nap and my daughter, son and I went to check out the grounds. There is a mini golf area, a wonderful garden with a private pool outside the main pool area, a play ground, all we'll maintained. I returned to the lobby at around 8, my husband Sid that we were still not called. I check in at the front desk, and a different clerk told me that our room has been ready for a while now. bottom line very poor communication on the hotel staff's part.

Room 423. We liked it by it was in the main building just across from the beach /main pool. The room itself was okay, but a bit dated. Bathtub cracked, furniture chipped and stained. View, nice (if you ignore the rooftop of the adjacent building below the balcony) you can see the ocean and Fort il Geromino. The ice machine on our floor was broken,coffee maker only had an option to make coffee, not boil water for tea. Beds are small (a little bigger than a twin). If you can book the villas ( first floor across from little pool), you will be better off bc it has a nice patio, queen sized beds and a kitchenette.

Food, la trattoria and Il palmers way over priced for breakfast. My husband had food poisoning from la trattoria . Piña colada and lemongrass were amazing. We didn't try Morton's , but people we met at the resort were not satisfied. Piña Colada is the cheapest of the two I mentioned.

Beach
The beach is awesome, therein a hammock area with most shade, and right between the beach and the pool.
However, kids entertainment is lacking and the kids club was closed most of the time. Floats/kayaks are for rent only, so bring your own. Beach toys are complementary.

There was a group celebrating Passover with their own kids club, and thanks to their director, our 8 year old got to enjoy some kid activities including screening of The Nut Job.

I m not sure, we will be returning to this hotel. If you arguing with kids, make sure to visit Fort el Cristobal. Food options in old San Juan we liked were:cafe Puerto Rico and Il Mojitos.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building anything along 10-25 line or a villa room with patio facing the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ChernovFamilyTravel
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I am so sorry that our staff was not more attentive towards you and that they did not provide you the customer service you deserve. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us. I assure you that it’s contrary to what our customers typically see from us. However, I can very much empathize with your situation and assure you that I have taken your comments and shared it with our management team. Again, please accept our apologies for the less than satisfying stay you and your family experienced.

Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Medford, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We all know by now the Hilton name is a little tarnished and as other have said so is this Hotel. The Caribe Hilton is old and needs to be updated but that does detract from many positives; a great staff, lush grounds, nice beach. It is hard to judge worth for others but I find value in location, cleanliness, large rooms, helpful staff,... It's location allows for a quieter experience while giving good access to an airport, San Juan and Old San Juan. Room was clean as was the rest of the facility. We visited 6 other Hotels while in Puerto Rico and though most were newer, had "better" nightlife none would draw me back to stay. So as the title says next trip I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 956pat956
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to response our survey, your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve.

Again please thank you and we look forward to your prompt return

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I've been staying in this hotel for more than 10 years and the quality has gone downhill. The location couldn't be better. It has a great pool and a great beach. The rooms aren't as good. The furniture and rug look aged but clean. Bathrooms look renovated. For the price they could do better. The Caribe Hilton has the potential to be a top tier hotel but they really are a mid tier hotel.

Stayed April 2014
Bedford NH
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We should have stayed elsewhere. Basically a very worn hotel with a nice view. Room was NOT clean and is very work throughout. Beach pool area might be nice if there were any space to sit and relax. Think cheap Vegas style atmosphere with a billion children run a muck. Are lunch at the outdoor grill... Frozen mahi. Really? I'm not cheap but Considering the location and the $18.75 price I thought it would at least be fresh.
The weather is nice and the view could certainly be worse. Heck it was 32 degrees in Boston with snow when I left so I shouldn't complain but HILTON hotels have certainly gone down hill.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank cstcyr77
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Nice sized room (in the villa lagoon) with large bathroom. Quiet. Several restaurants to choose from, but pricey. No mom-pop kind of restaurants nearby. Breakfast quite pricey (there is a Starbucks on site). Loved the open-air atmosphere. Not within walking distance of old town San Juan, but short drive away. Many parking garages in old town, and not all priced the same. Nice outdoor area with pools, although quite windy with surf.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
new jersey
Reviewed April 16, 2014

It is our 3 rd time, we stay in a main building on 4 th floor, partial ocean view ( partially it was roof view), i did not care that much, bath tub was peeling ( painted over) with room cost with taxes over 270$ I would think they should just replace it not paint it,our tv set did not work and we mentioned a few times before it got fixed, but we were given free movie rental and drinks.When we 1 st stayed at the hotel buffet breakfast had lox, fresh OJ, selection got worth, continental is not good at all, if you have to pay for it just eat some where else.Property is clean, beach is great, Ols San Juan 2 bus stops away.

Room Tip: stay in main building, high fl
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!