Start out by saying it was a girls trip to San Juan for my birthday, so truly all we were looking for was a clean, safe place to catch some sun and enjoy some adult beverages for a few days. Luckily the Caribe managed to live up to our expectations to that end and then some.
We arrived early and were very pleased to be able to check in quickly to our room, which we discovered was on the 9th floor facing the ocean. Room had a private balcony, mini fridge and was very clean - so far, so good. Only downside so far was there was only 1 working elevator for the tower, but as it didn't appear to be too busy we could live with it.
The staff at the Atlantic Bar and Grill took care of us nicely and got to know us quickly. Hiram and Roberto especially were quick with our drinks, always greeted us with a smile and great service. The pool area was always clean and not too crowded during our stay - perfect for the catching sun part of the trip.
What led to the serious "bad taste" of the trip was our evening at the Lemon Grass Restaurant located on property. Long Story short, it took over 90 minutes for 2 drinks and 2 sushi rolls (of which I've had much better at other places), we had a waitress who never checked on us once after the meal was served, never offered to refill our water let alone ask if we wanted another drink, and when we asked for the check replied with "Ok - fine". After the meal we spoke with Wilma, who was supposedly the manager on duty that night for Lemon Grass - who showed almost no interest in the fact that 2 customers were highly dissatisfied. She merely kept saying she would advise "those in charge" of our concerns, finally saying we could come back the next night for a free appetizer on her with another server. Needless to say it was an offer we didn't accept, and unfortunately neither my friend or I felt very good after this encounter with such a poor representative of management...
Happily though, the next day it was turned around with the evening meal in the Italian Restaurant. Service was excellent - the food was fantastic. So much so we proceeded to have another meal there the next evening and received the same excellent service.
Overall - Caribe Hilton met what we were looking for. Would I recommend it ? Yes - if you're looking for a nice, clean place to enjoy a few days in the sun, then this would be a good place for you. It's a short cab ride away to Old San Juan, but truly we didn't feel the need to leave the resort as everything we wanted was right there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic and iconic Caribe Hilton offers an ideal combination of leisure facilities and activities and is home to Caribar, the birthplace of the pina colada. The resort is situated on a private 17-acre lushly landscaped peninsula with a secluded beach and is located near the Old San Juan historic district and many of the destination's top attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Caribe Hilton San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel Caribe
- Hilton San Juan
- San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel