“Caribe Hilton! Oasis!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
florence, sc
“Caribe Hilton! Oasis!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton Aug 7 thru the 14 of 2013. The Caribe is beautiful we stayed in the tower and had a view overlooking the fort and the (second airport there) off to the right. Airport wasn't San Juan Luis Muñoz . Everywhere you looked was beautiful! The rooms were a little dated but the bathroom was awesome the glass door is not for everyone but when in the bathroom shut the door and lock if you need. We stayed with my 17 year old daughter and this was an excellant location for us! The beaches and the pools are awesome! They have boats, floats and snorkel equipment you can rent, but I felt they were too expensive. The Caribe would make more money if they lower prices on these items instead they were left on the shore and not making money! Seems a waste! We walked over to the Puerto Rican beach (on opposite side of Caribe) and bought a snorkel mask for $5.00 and that was the best money spent! My daughter stayed out there and looked at all of the beautiful fish for hours! The outdoor bathrooms were under renovation so maybe they had plumbing problem after we left. Since previous poster had plumbing issue.

The place was beautiful! The restaurants on site are pricier but that is to be expected at a resort. We rented a car the second day and found a Wal-mart close to the Rain Forest and on the way home stopped and got food items for breakfast and lunch so we didn't keep spending 25.00 for breakfast at Starbucks and buying pricy lunches. The coffee provided in the room is excellant! They provided us a refrigerator so that helped with buying cold things to eat! We thought Morton's was a miss but the Pina Colada Club was awesome and well worth the money! The on site gym is awesome! I got up just about every morning and went to exercise. We did ask concierge about doing different things but we just did things on our own! They provided us a brochure with tours to Rain Forest and tours to San Juan but these were really expensive for three people. Giancarlo rents cars across the street and he is wonderful! Rental is close to sub-way on corner. So we paid for a $50.00 car rental and the Rainforest is free! We took a $15 cab to old San Juan and paid $3 each to get in San Cristobal Fort and then walked around old San Juan and took $15 cab back. Some of the tours were like $90 each if I remember correctly and about the same for the Rain Forest. My daughter took a surf lesson with Danny Aguilera's Surf School and this guy is great! He took us over to the side of the Island where all of the authentic Puerto Rican food is located. Daughter had a tough time trying to get up on board so she stopped surfing and he had other students there so we figured were here for the day lets get in the line. The Puerto Rican People wait for up to an hour for this food! Well the location is a little bit on the questionable side but the food is awesome! We made friends in the line and some of the local Puerto Ricans started buying us beer! Wow! How welcoming is that! They are some of the sweetest people in the world! Shout out to Melissa and Peter from Brooklyn who have moved back to Puerto Rico to take care of family! Love Love Love them!

The Puerto Rican people are soo friendly and I wished we could have stayed longer! Overall, I thought Puerto Rico was paradise! I would definitely stay at the Caribe Hilton again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank girl1tiger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,528)
  • Polish first
Center Moriches, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my second trip here. Beautiful Hotel! Staff is very attentive and most of all very friendly!
Our room was very clean & and decorated tastefully. We had other family members (Future In-laws Mom & Dad and Brother & Sister) meet us and they loved it as much as we did! Our favorite was the Buffet Breakfast and our absolute favorite waiter (Harry), if anyone is fortunate to have him wait on you, he will make your morning Shine! Pools are beautiful, private lagoon makes it worth the trip alone. We will be visiting again. We stayed for 10 days and wished we were staying
longer.

Room Tip: If you get the opportunity try and stay in the main building. Your close to all the amenities.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ESJH
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in August here. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the deck with furniture outside was a nice plus. The hotel is located near just about everything in the city.
The pools and the beach were nearby and were clean and well kept. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: Book early / go off season.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimmc66
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Caribe is nice. Obviously an older property with some minor issues. Our room was nice and clean, however being on the 3rd floor the view was lacking. The main building only had one working elevator which was annoying but we met great people each time we waited. The property is huge and in a great location. Lots of amenities to enjoy. The hotel has many restaurants on the property but they are expensive. We tried them all, the lemongrass was our favorite. We took a taxi out into the old san juan to eat and shop. The taxis were always down stairs and very friendly. We didn't want to rent a car so this worked for us. Nothing is in walking distance so taxis or a rent a car is suggested. You never really have to leave the hotel pool or Beach if that's the vacation your looking for the Hilton is perfect. Again a bit pricey but don't go to a resort on an island if your trying to be frugal. My wife and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Socedb25
North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the main building and it was very nice as compared to the rooms at one of the towers. The bed is heaven. I also liked the furnishing of the rooms, contemporary and classy. All the staff were very nice and accommodating. I would like to specially mention the lady who had helped us checked-in (Melanie - I apologized if I got her name wrong) she went out of her way to help us get the rooms we were very comfortable with and loved. The staff at the restaurants were very nice and treated us very well.
We also loved the beach....very very nice. We also love the entertainment they had provided at some nights. It was so much fun. I just wish they offer it every night.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms at the main building
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lemarchie
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Caribe Hilton more than once for weddings, etc... otherwise, we stay with family. Great time at the hotel...no problems for the most part. The only issue we had was on our first stay in 2005. Booked the trip and was not told we had to give a credit card for a $250 hold. I have never had to do this before at a hotel anywhere, so again, I was not familiar with it. The lady argued with me about it, that it was to cover phone charges, etc.... I looked at her and said, "Why the hell would I use the hotel phone when I have a cell phone?' 'My cell works here just as it would in Texas...no extra fees...we are still in US territory, etc..." She finally said she would block the phones, etc... and I did not have to put a hold on my credit card.

The spa was great...my mom loved it!

The buffet was good but too expensive. $40 for breakfast or lunch too much for me, but we did try it for the heck of it because we needed to stay around the hotel that day. We prefer to eat in the city or at relatives' homes.

They offered a happy hour the times we were there. Live music was good and guests were given complimentary drinks. We are not big drinkers, but we hung out for the music, and gave our comp coupons to other guests. The bartender did give us free cokes tho :o)

The best part of the hotel is the private beach! Loved it! We did go to Luquillo beach several times for old times sake, but enjoyed the beach the hotel had to offer. The dock and pool area are nice too.

Overall, I would stay here again if need be. We had a great time and problem free (minus the initial credit card hold issue).

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the ocean. We were able to watch the rain storms, when they came in, from...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaclin R
Highland Park, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

No water or cold water! Don't go! It is a sad waste of time to come here. We had 2 days without water for a shower and then we were told we could use the toilet at the pool. I will never be back here. It was extremely disappointing. I will tell all of my friends and all of my associates. The service is extremely poor and it is very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn G
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. Our guests comments, both positive and negative assist us in evaluating the service we provide and allow us to continually improve our performance. We are quite concerned whenever our guests are less than 100 percent satisfied with their stay and always try to make it right when a problem arises. Clearly your stay was not up to the standards we have set for ourselves, nor what our guests have come to expect.

I am disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations for your stay with us. In your review, you bring up some great points that we are currently looking into. In regards to your comments about the lack of hot water---we're currently fixing this issue. In fact, our maintenance crew is working on addressing the concerns you brought up in your review.

Your business is extremely important to us and I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity and consider returning again. In the meantime, if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please feel free to contact me. We are always listening to our guests!

Nitzamarie Escalera
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,113 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!