“Accomodations were, Ok”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Hotel was nice and so were the staff. My only qualm was the rooms, especially in the Tower building need to be renovated. The bar was fun and it was great to have a place to kick back and relax in the evening. The music at the bar was great too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights post cruise in July, 2013. We had requested an early check-in weeks earlier per our early disembarkation time. Arrived at hotel at 10:00 a.m. and were told no rooms ready which was understandable. Took a tour and arrived back at 3:30 p.m. to be given a room on the 3rd floor. The room and view did not equate with our expectations of the high Hilton standard and we asked to be moved. At the same time as the porter was asking our initial receptionist for a room change and being told no rooms available we talked to Maria Rios. Amazing response and support from her. She listened to our concerns and responded with a huge smile during the whole interaction. She gave us a new room and saved our day! Give that girl a bonus! The hotel is expensive and quite dated but close to the pier.

2  Thank P C
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I guess I expected a LOT! This was our first vacation in over 8 years... And I wanted to have a great time, getting away from home to a tropical paradise. The information on the website was definitely mis leading. The snorkeling was NOT anything to rave about. Just a small beach with a small reef and not a lot of fish. The other water sports were VERY limiting in the space we were able to use them in.

The food on site was ok. The Pina Colada Club is definitely the best value... expensive but not as much as the other places. Ask for Patricia! She will take great care of you.

The worst part (and this is what is going to mean I don't go back to the hotel) was the elevator situation. Our first night there we had to use the service elevators. The LINE to use the elevator was obnoxious. We waited up to a half hour for the elevator one time. We didn't use the stairs because they were disgusting, not well lit and a hazard. Then when they got one of the main elevators to work, it was SLOW and really made us irritable. So we won't return to the hotel. For the cost, it wasn't worth it.

In addition to the elevators the staff was NOT nice. They were rude, and it wasn't because of the lack of a language barrier. Housekeeping refused to leave us extra washclothes no matter how many times we asked.

I haven't received a survey for this hotel and I'm actually a little disappointed. I would really like to let the manager know.

Room Tip: Anything ending in 39 in the 10-floor building has a GREAT view!
2  Thank J_L732
Reviewed July 31, 2013

It's facilities, ocean views, beach, pool, restaurants, breakfast, kid's area and amenities, make the Caribe Hilton one of the best hotels in the Caribbean. Located in the entrance of the Old San Juan and near to Restaurants, Museums, Parks, beaches, and the Metropolitan area. Stay and enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is the original Hilton location that, somehow, struck a deal to carve out a lagoon beach and a peninsula-like setting. The pool area features amazingly diverse seating choices. Beach front chairs are abutted by a unique extended sunbathing area that penetrates the lagoon, while being surrounded by water on three sides. At the far end of the vast pool deck is yet another area which meets a rock jetty where crashing waves create a different setting for queen-size daybeds and a view across the ocean. A fourth area is comprised of over a dozen hammocks hanging from palm trees and the largest area of chaise lounges surround the multilevel swimming pool which includes a swim-up bar. Another nearby bar offers seating and tables facing the San Juan coastline and your view of the hotels with the approaching sea makes you feel like you're looking at the rest of the city from on-board the Queen Mary.

The modern tower offers outdoor balconies and magnificent views of the coastline as well as Old San Juan. Even though the rooms in the newest tower are modern and welcoming, a guest will rarely want to spend time indoors. Numerous restaurants offer unique cuisine ranging from Morton's Steakhouse to Italian, Asian and a super breakfast buffet.

Nelson, the manager, is ever-present in the lobby, recognizing prior guests as they stroll to the open-air registration desk. He can also be found at the next table in the more moderately priced bar/dining setup within Morton's. Staff generally seem good-natured and accommodating.

With annual business trips to several parts of the island, I always carve out a few extra days to relax at this wonderful ocean-side setting before heading back to the mainland.

Room Tip: Request a floor above five and avoid ground floor accommodations along long corridors.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark W
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a very good time, too bad elevators were not all in service. Very family friendly. However, Hertz car rental booth not friendly or accommodating. Wanted to rent car for the following day and was told they were out. Had to return to airport for car. Not good. Best concierge I've run into: Maria Castano. she sent us to some great places and restaurants.

1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friends and I just returned from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Upon arrival we had no trouble getting checked into our room, but our friends did. They also were on the side of the hotel that was being renovated. Their room was older, smelled bad, and just really was outdated. Our room however was nice very, modernly styled, and we had a partial view of the ocean which was very nice. The staff even gave us free vouchers for alcoholic beverages at the bar upon check-in. Now I'm not sure what you do on vacation, but staying at the hotel is not really my thing. I want my hotel to be nice in case I do have to stay there all day and night for whatever reason, but I prefer venturing out and seeing whatever city I visit, learning some of the culture and visiting historical landmarks there. One thing about this Hilton, is that the grounds are very well kept with in addition to a private beach. Most people love that. Myself, not so much. I like mingling with the locals, and you are literally secluded on your own island if you will, at this location. The private beach is nice if you like having small fish constantly swim around you and grazing against your legs and such while you're swimming, then you'll love it. I did not. I went down further to Isla La Verde; a public beach and had a much better time meeting locals and enjoying the big waves that beach had. The hotel also does a fish feeding daily. There is a small pier and they give you bread, and the fish come in numbers to feed. There was even some talk of a few sharks (small) coming there. I didn't see personally but I heard. The hotel has hammocks out and beds that sit over the beach & are ideal for tanning and relaxation. I loved my hotel for what it's worth, but if you are in San Juan definitely go visit Old San Juan and and Fort Myers there. There is a vast spand of green land that sits atop the ocean and people are out there flying kites. Truly amazing view and awesome for kids to see if you have any. Old San Juan has great shopping too. Get a Pina Coloda, and visit the Bacardi Distillery. I think the Pina Coladas are the best in Puerto Rico since that is where the drink originated, Ive never tasted so many that were so great besides there. The El Yunque Rainforest is a must too, see the beautiful rainforest and make sure you swim in the waterfall, but be prepared for a long hike. Take in all the beautiful places PR has to offer. There are many things here to do. You will enjoy the food, everything tasted so great and authentic! Go eat at Mojitos in Old San Juan. That's an order! Trust me, you'll thank me later.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view. I mean who wouldn't want that?
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends