“Best place to stay in San Juan”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jackson, Mississippi
“Best place to stay in San Juan”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is perfect for a romantic getaway. The open floor plan in the lobby offers a fun field experience like no other. The weather is perfect there so you always want to be out doors. The rooms are a little small, but comfortable. The patio and pool areas are great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank PrestonRobinsonIII
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Great! We love to have you back with us! Thank you for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,583)
  • Polish first
Carolina, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here on July 26 - 28 and if I sum it up quickly, it was an OK stay, definetly relaxing. First I'd like to thank Mayte and Gladys because I asked for them to put me as close to my parents as possible, who were also staying here, and even though the hotel was 100%, they put me in the same tower as them... Thanks for that ;).

Ok, now for the details:
1 - the room that I was in had some little hits in the walls, the A/C door was opened and we saw all that 'machinery' in there, the telephone in the bathroom fell off from wall, but we closed the A/C door and rescrewed phone to wall so no biggy, just informing so it can be fixed just in case a more "needy" guests goes to that room. Other then that, bed comfy, pillows soft, ammenities and towels replenished quickly. The shower had the "Rain" shower head and that was... soothing to bath in there for long periods of time .

2 - Pool and Beach area - Spacious, plenty of things to do, Pool great, Jacuuzi should have a limit because that poor Jacuuzi was jam packed, I dunno who invented that law, but I don't think you "own" a chair if you just put your towel on the seat or hammock... I understand if theres bags and purses... but just a towel... uh uh, Alot of the seats and hammocks were left alone for hours and no one came back so I don't think pool attendants should allow that.... but anyways, no biggie, just another suggestion ;)

3 - Restaurants - there are couple restaurants here, but I didn't eat in any of them except that I dropped by the Starbucks thats on site (first time drinking their coffee.... don't see the hype) for a quick coffee. For breakfast theres a Subway outside within walking distance.

Upon our checkout there was a long line, but there was a Manager on Duty (don't remember name) that asked if your receipt is ok then he just signs it and you can be on your way.

Definetly would come back, the views are amazing... and the fishes in the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FlakoPR
Glad to hear that you had a relaxing time during your stay! This is what is all about making our guest feel great and have lots of fun! We will let Gladys and Mayte know about the great service they are providing! Thank you for the feedback!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton San Juan our last night in Puerto Rico before we flew back to Nashville the next day. I wish we'd had more time because this hotel was beautiful. It's been recently remodeled and you can tell. We walked along the grounds complete with a chipping course, beautiful (huge!) pools along the sea, and a great lobby. Oh-and the Starbucks. Definitely good for people like me!

Our room was absolutely beautiful. We had two beds and a great view of San Juan and partial sea view.

The hotel is located on the eastern edge of Old San Juan and after taking a taxi to Old San Juan (after dropping off our rental car), we decided to trek back to the hotel on foot. I would say it's a long walk for just anyone, but if you're young and adventurous like us, the walk was pretty easy. Plus, we walked on the sidewalk along the sea as we walked back so the view was wonderful!

Everything was just so sleek and modern and I look forward to staying at this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thegretchmyster
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This was the most beautiful pool area I've ever seen. It had lots of palm trees,hammocks, cabannnas, swim up bar, a beach, lots of ocean, ocean view outdoor dining, and a fortress historical point next to it. The lobby was gorgeous and open and people could hang out there. They had karaoke in the lobby at night and lit up the palm trees with lighting. The rooms felt older/slightly dirty. The bed was comfortable and clean. You could hear people in the hallway from the room. Activities and things to do were in old SAN Juan a 45 minute walk away. I heard from a local and a few others you shouldn't walk to it bc its dangerous between hotel and old saint juan. The hotel itself was safe. The food at Pina Colada (part of the restaurant) was amazing and the pina coladas and dauquiries were the best we'd ever had. One of the elavators was broken so it took 10 to fifteen minutes to get anywhere. Overall it was good. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. We hope you had a wonderful time.

Again, thank you and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Mattituck, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and family have been vacationing at the Caribe Hilton for the past 7 years. We come to this hotel and only this hotel when traveling to Puerto Rico. The grounds are exquisite and very well maintained. The restuarants are excellent and conveniently located on the grounds. The service is always very professional. It is a pleasure to see many of the same employees each time we return. The security that is provided gives us a comfortable feeling when walking the grounds. The location of the hotel directly on the ocean provides spectacular views of the ocean, beach and pools. Neson Torres, the hotel manager is always visible and involved with the day to day operations. With each visit he greets us with genuine affection and we know that with him at the helm we will have a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to enjoy the views.
1 Thank resiegno
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we are delighted to know your stay was a pleasant one. Thank you for your kind words.

Again thank you for staying with us and would be thankful to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I first want to say that this property is amazing and beautiful.Something you see in a magazine.... Ammenities for everyone in the family. Now i want to express my concerns of the customer service, Since before arriving to the hotel, I experienced horrible service. Forget trying to call the hotel to get a question answered, you will get transfered to about 5 people before you get an answer. We are a Family of 4 with 2 teenage boys, therefore we requested a double (oceanview) room. The front desk agent did not inform us that this room was not available, rather than give us a 1 king room. We did not know this till we arrived in our room with the bellman and luggage, After a 30 minute wait I got no solutions but just an answer " we are very busy this weekend and can not switch your room." I expressed my concern to our server at the pool he explained that they are short staff and the level of service I experienced seems to be the norm. The hotel is under construction, this too was not informed to us. We had to wait about 15 minutes for an elevator. The hotel had a "bikini bliss" event going on the Saturday I was there. As hotel guests paying hunfreds a night got pretty much kicked out by the locals. If you didnt have a wrist band you could not go onto the beach, If you wanted to be on the beach after 6pm you had to pay 20.00. The part lasted untill the early morning with music blaring and people having parties of their own in the hallway. I was told these kind of parties happen quite often. I found ants and water bugs in our bathroom, with film of mold in the tub. I was very disappointed of my experience and would defintely reconsider another stay at caribe during my next visit to the island.

Room Tip: I would suggest renting a car. Not too much near by. Taxi charged me 15.00 to take me to La Concha h...
1 Thank lovey1990
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family arrived on a Saturday (this was our third stay here) and the premises was crawling with Coors Light truck, bumping music young adults parading around in their bathing suits. Yes, this was like a Spring Break MTV event. The pool, beach and lounge/bar area could not be accessed unless you purchased a $20 wrist band. Since we are a Hilton Honors Diamond Member we were ushered through the line of 50+ people to check in. We were put in a villa facing a building that was under construction. Our electric did not work in the room and it took 2 hours before that was resolved, more than 2 hours for room service and we got to listen to the party goers party in the halls as they took over the hotel. This obviously a Hilton property and the staff was understanding of this significant inconvenience and at our request, put us in an ocean view room in the Honors building the next day. I did not appreciate seeing the party goers walking around in bathing suits the next few days as some of them enjoyed their stay days after the party.
We spent the last day of our vaction at the resort enjoying the amenities (pool, beach, etc). We enjoyed the beach area and met a few locals that come there to enjoy the premises. Overall the staff is very kind and helpful but I feel they should let families know when they are having events such as the Coors Light Bikini Bliss (and we were told they hold these types of events often due to the revenue it brings).

Room Tip: The rooms vary in what they offer. For instance the main hotel has standard rooms. Our first stay he...
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!