“Beautiful and secluded! Had a mother/daughter girls trip”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a beautiful property! The rooms are well equipped, comfy beds ( im picky), clean. tip your housekeeper and you will get nice surprises left in room!! ***Now I would have given it the highest rating except for the fact that there was a lack of cohesive customer service. a few tips: 1) when you arrive, ask for the brochure listing the daily activities, and ask for the concierge to tell you all about the property, amenities, goings on. we had to piece this info together and even found out about activities on the day we were leaving that we could have done - again, ASK for that info. 2) the female concierge, really sweet - but does give out some mis-information.so READ the brochures given on Old San Juan and the area. 3) BECOME a Hilton Honors member before you go - gets you perks! 4) when making reservations ask for rooms betwen x24-x40, floors 5 and higher have best views. 936,736 were AWESOME!!!! 3)There are in-room safes, and the hotel allows you to charge to the room. if you insist on taking things down to the hotel beach area, they do have lockers available. They also have kayak, snorkel and scuba gear available for rent. When I go back ( and I will), Im taking my own snorkel gear. The marine life we saw right there at the hotel beach was just as wonderful as the trip where we spent $80.00 for a catamaran ride ( traveler, see that review) - save your money, spend $15.00 at the hotel and snorkel in a relaxed environment! 4) make friends with the front desk, it will make your vacation stay much improved! the people that work there live in PR, they will be honest about local food places, sites, etc. 5) Enjoy the outdoors on site- swim up bar, say HI to Roberto, he will make awesome Mojitos! Get your beach towels, scope out a spot on the circular deck with the soft quishy sunbeds - be sure to go out at night time, sit up at the front seawall on the big comfy beds, watch the waves, its sooo relaxing! OH! You MUST sit in the hammocks, take a book, take a nap, and enjoy! 6) Restaurants are pricey, so if you dont eat much like me ( grazer, snacker), breakfast at the on-site Starbucks (thank you Coffee Gods) , lunch at the outdoor cafe. Dinner, go to Old San Juan, or if you like Sushi, there is one in the 'garden' area - the pond and wildlife really neat - the sushi is pricey, but good. if you want to spend less and get the basic ala carte or Bento - head to the sushi restaurant next to the Subway sandwich shop just off the Hotel grounds.) if you want to leave the property -BUS - use the bus!!! Taxi will cost you 14.00 to Condado area, $10.00 to Old San Juan. you could spend a fortune on taxis, and after watching them drive, I had NO desire to rent a car! Im not a big public transporation guru - but their bus system is cheap and convenient! if going to Old San Juan, walk out of Hilton property, turn left at Subway Sandwich shop, cross street ( dangerous corner, be careful), and there is bus stop! 50cents gets you to anywhere in Old San Juan. Once in the city, take the FREE trolly, ride it all the way around THEN get off at places you want to see.

I recommend you spend at least 5 days on main PR, beside any outer island time. We crammed too much into this trip and missed truly trekking the rain forest. I have a friend who owns a home there, I saw the rain forest, saw the waterfall from a distance, and NEED to spend time truly enjoying it!

IF you are planning to take a trip to Vieques, and you do NOT Have a rental car, it will cost you $80 one-way to Fajardo, you NEED to leave early in the morning - its an hour drive to the Ferry terminal - if you arrive by 8:00 you should be fine. tickets sell at 8:30am. its $2.00 a person to go. if you want more info see my Vieques review for hotel, taxi, tours.

Room Tip: floors 7 or higher, numbers 724-740, etc.
9  Thank MKTravelingMed
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hello there! thank you for staying with us. It makes us really happy to hear that you had a great visit. Thank you for your review and we hope you visit us again soon.

at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (7,215)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I went for a buisness trip. The hotel lobby sets you up for disappointment as it is beautiful and makes you think you will get the Hilton quality that you would expect. The rooms are dated, small and full of problems. We couldn't use our sliding glass door, our toilet ran 24/7 and then when it stopped it just leaked all over the floor, AC broke 3 times, internet did not work and all 3 phones in room did not work. We reported all these issues and not all were fixed before we left. There was also lots of technical issues/problems during our conference. And to top it off there is a list of items stolen from people's rooms while staying there for our conference.

1  Thank Vanessa H
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Good service, friendly staff. Excellent gym/bar/pool service etc. Spacious resort type hotel. The hotel is geared up for conferences or holidays. The pool is clean and good access to private beach and sea. Staff are very helpful

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here many times because he likes the location for his business dealings. I love the location of this property with the great ocean view and short walking distance to a large city park. The rooms are average and the hotel is not maintained well. I was locked in the laundry area once and could not get out because the electronic eye did not work. I was given a $35. 00 dinner voucher for my trouble. I was almost locked onto a balcony once because of a malfunctioning lock. I was promised a better stay next time??? I wanted to use the stairs once because the elevators were running slow and there was cleaning equipment being stored in the stairwell blocking the stairs. The pool is nice and the hammock area is very relaxing although the security seems to be relaxed for locals and they come into the beach area. Take a $10.00 cab ride to old San Juan to eat if you want a good meal.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Over priced, and the food was low quality and there was no Puerto Rican food. Service at the bar and restaurants was very slow. Absence of nearby restaurants so we were often confined to eat at one of the hotel restaurants.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

i love the pond and peacocks this is a great place to stay with children my son had a great time and we enjoyed all the amenities and the staff was awesome and very nice. we saw a wild turkey and a black swan

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I would like to share a story that is very rare these days. I have an 11 year old and like many with the excitement of a vacation they get distracted. We arrived by taxi at our beautiful Hilton Caribe hotel with it's amazing lobby and ocean view! Overtaken by the excitement my daughter left her backpack (with all of our chargers and her ipod and phone in it) in the taxi. We did not get a receipt from the driver. The only thing we could remember was the advertisement on the taxi. My daughter was very upset. Jose' approached us and offered to help. He told us he will do his best to find it. With not much information to go on he jumped in his car to find the taxi. Two hours later no luck. We gave up hope. I was amazed at his compassion to help already at this point. However I received a phone call the next morning. Jose' had found the bag! I was in shock, he had gone through the camera found our taxi and went to the airport first thing in the morning before new passengers started for the day and found the backpack! How do you repay someone that goes out of their way for you. It just makes me want to cry tears of pride of how it makes me feel that Jose' is one of those people with a heart of gold. Hilton should be proud to have him and maybe the new slogan should be do it the Jose' way. Amazing job Jose' you are certainly above an A in my book. I don't know how to ever repay your kindness your an amazing person! Thank you with all my heart, Kathy

1  Thank Kathleen W