“Different from all-inclusives, but, a nice resort!!”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Different from all-inclusives, but, a nice resort!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

First, I am surprised that there are not any "all-inclusives" in P.R. Something to do with being an American Territory, I think?! Anyway, Caribe did what they could to make it seem like a resort vs. a regular hotel chain. The had an activities legend out by the pool with a daily schedule of events. We played Bingo, did yoga, tried Pina Colada drinks at the bar, etc. The prices at the resort are very high for food and drink! An American Cheese burger alone is $15 - $18. They did have happy hour specials. They have several restaurants on the premise. We ate in none, except for getting food & drink from StarBucks. S.B. had good sandwiches & also breakfast items & desserts. But, we usually went across the street to Subway. I've not been a Subway person in the past. But, these guys are awesome. Breakfast items, soup, salads, sandwiches, pizza.....they had it all & very inexpensive!! The only negative is you have to wait sometimes for a while in line. Also, we took our cooler on the plane as our carry on & every few days we would go across the street for sodas, water, beer, wine, liquor, etc. P.R.'s water is safe, so being "green" we would refill our water bottles in the room. There is also a room refrigerator. Caribe has water coolers in the lobby only during week days with fresh water & fresh fruit floating in it. (Why not on weekend, no one could tell me?!) There are also water coolers, very cold, at the pool bar. They had some sort of chex mix at the bar that you could ask for as a munchie. The rooms were very clean & there are soda, snack machines & ice on every floor. We stayed in the main tower where the lobby & everything is. Our view was excellent over the beach area & ocean! We found the concierge to be extremely helpful. They would help us with directions, phone calls, excursions, tips on where to go & taxis! Always with a smile & patience!! Caribe is also only a two mile walk from Old Town which was very nice or you could catch the bus catty-cornered from Subway which is only 50 to 75 cents depending on which bus number it was. Typically, we would take a taxi back. We would definitely return to Caribe and Puerto Rico!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Debi M
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was a pleasure to serve you. We appreciate your loyalty and hope you visit us again soon.

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,565)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I am currently staying at this hotel. My room was dirty from the moment we arrived. I was willing to overlook the rooms shortcomings until we found the large cockroach in the middle of the bathroom floor. When I told management she looked like I was wasting her time and gave me a free breakfast and $35 resort credit probably to get me out her face. I had to ask to have the room cleaned. For an 8 night stay I expected better. I won't come here again.

1 Thank VICKTAM
Thank you for your feedback on your room condition while you visited us recently. Please accept our deepest apologies. I am sharing your comments with our executive Housekeeper and rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did. We regret that you left us feeling this way.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton while on a business trip. I was in San Juan for 4 days. The grounds of the hotel are well maintained and extensive. The grounds have several swimming pools, bathing lagoons, beaches, pool decks, etc to enjoy the tropical outdoors. Their are a number of restaurants and lively bars both inside the hotel and on the grounds. I did not eat at the restaurants, so I cannot attest to quality. Drink prices at the bar are pricey but the scenery is splendid. Overall the Caribe Hilton is a nice place to enjoy the beach. My room was on the 18th floor of the tower. The view of the ocean from the balcony of my "ocean view" room was better than in many ocean front rooms I have occupied. I imagine it would be just as good at least from floors 10 and higher. The room was spacious with a large bathroom and good size walk in shower (no tub). The bed was comfortable. My room was certainly aging and showing severe signs of wear. Cracked and repaired tiles in the bathroom, a broken light shade above the sink, damaged areas of the woodwork. None of this detracted from my stay, but if you are seeking perfection or a "modern" room, this is not the place. The room could probably also use some better insulation in the doors between adjoining rooms. My neighbors partied until 1:00 am the first night and I could follow their conversation as if I was sitting next to them. I find this to be a problem with a lot of older properties. After the first night all was fine as more considerate neighbors moved in. We both kept our radios and TVs turned down so as not to impose on each other. I was out most of each day, so I did not have a lot of interaction with staff, but the interactions I did have were pleasant and professional. It is a 20 minute walk or $12-15 cab ride into old San Juan or to Condado (the hip area of the beach) with restaurants and entertainment venues. The bottom line, I would stay here again. I enjoyed the grounds, I had a spacious room with s beautiful view and a comfortable bed. The lady is showing her age in spots but for me is still a great way to enjoy San Juan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WGJ49
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience
Your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve.

thank you again and we hope you visit us again soon

CORAL SPRINGS, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I HAVE STAYED AT OTHERS AND ALWAYS COME BACK TO THE BEST! I'm not wasting my time anymore-the CARIBE HILTON is the most beautiful, clean, guest friendly hotel in San Juan:) Great Staff, very well kept and can't ask for any better service from the staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Priscilla B
Thank you for your kind words! It was a pleasure to serve you. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful time.

We look forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My stay was May 12-15. I was worried before I got there from all the bad reviews. I Was very happy when arrived. A couple of tips. If you plan to drink buy a couple of bottles on the way to the hotel or at the liquer store just off property. The drinks at the bars are over priced. BUT these day name a hotel where that iisn't the case. MY room was in the main tower. IT WAS CLEAN AND NICE! The pool and beach area were great! The exterior of the hotel did show some age. SO WHAT! another tip: we were torn on renting a car or doing taxis. We went with taxi. Happy we did. The parking and driving for that matter going to old San Juan would have been a head acke! We ate at some good restrants there and were cheap. Go to Bebos! In all I would stay there again. BTW ALL THE SERVICE IN PUERTO RICO IS BAD! I GUESS ITS JUST THE WAY OF LIFE THERE! THIS REVIEW IS COMING FROM A PERSON WHO WORKS AT A 5 STAR RESORT IN FLORIDA.

3 Thank jhawk77
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was a pleasure to have you here. We regret that you left Puerto Rico feeling that way about the service. We hope you visit us again soon. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Acworth, GA, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our family recently stayed at the San Juan - Caribe Hilton. On this visit, we planned our stay from both perspectives: as tourists and as locals. Having lived in Puerto Rico and the San Juan area, we know the island better than the average resident. The hotel has a strategic location that permits easy access and driving to key areas. The parking management is "Puerto Rican style", but highly reliable and efficient at $18 per day. The man-made beach at the hotel is far superior to possibly all others in the San Juan area. If you like swimming in smooth water, protected by breakwater, and large enough to be a challenge to swim with / or without mask / fin / snorkle, then the beach at Caribe Hilton is the one to beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am on vacation and I'm going to be staying here for 8 nights when I got to my room it looked so horrible the outside doors were very dirty the glass in the shower was very dirty two of the lights are broken and the carpet is very disgusting not to mention they made me pay a resort fee which I'm wry upset about because this doesn't feel like a resort at all I feel like I'm staying in a motel.

1 Thank Jmboricua
Thank you for your feedback on your room condition while visiting us. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our executive Housekeeper and rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!