“Showing her age but still a great place!”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Showing her age but still a great place!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton while on a business trip. I was in San Juan for 4 days. The grounds of the hotel are well maintained and extensive. The grounds have several swimming pools, bathing lagoons, beaches, pool decks, etc to enjoy the tropical outdoors. Their are a number of restaurants and lively bars both inside the hotel and on the grounds. I did not eat at the restaurants, so I cannot attest to quality. Drink prices at the bar are pricey but the scenery is splendid. Overall the Caribe Hilton is a nice place to enjoy the beach. My room was on the 18th floor of the tower. The view of the ocean from the balcony of my "ocean view" room was better than in many ocean front rooms I have occupied. I imagine it would be just as good at least from floors 10 and higher. The room was spacious with a large bathroom and good size walk in shower (no tub). The bed was comfortable. My room was certainly aging and showing severe signs of wear. Cracked and repaired tiles in the bathroom, a broken light shade above the sink, damaged areas of the woodwork. None of this detracted from my stay, but if you are seeking perfection or a "modern" room, this is not the place. The room could probably also use some better insulation in the doors between adjoining rooms. My neighbors partied until 1:00 am the first night and I could follow their conversation as if I was sitting next to them. I find this to be a problem with a lot of older properties. After the first night all was fine as more considerate neighbors moved in. We both kept our radios and TVs turned down so as not to impose on each other. I was out most of each day, so I did not have a lot of interaction with staff, but the interactions I did have were pleasant and professional. It is a 20 minute walk or $12-15 cab ride into old San Juan or to Condado (the hip area of the beach) with restaurants and entertainment venues. The bottom line, I would stay here again. I enjoyed the grounds, I had a spacious room with s beautiful view and a comfortable bed. The lady is showing her age in spots but for me is still a great way to enjoy San Juan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WGJ49
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience
Your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve.

thank you again and we hope you visit us again soon

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,575)
  • Polish first
CORAL SPRINGS, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I HAVE STAYED AT OTHERS AND ALWAYS COME BACK TO THE BEST! I'm not wasting my time anymore-the CARIBE HILTON is the most beautiful, clean, guest friendly hotel in San Juan:) Great Staff, very well kept and can't ask for any better service from the staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Priscilla B
Thank you for your kind words! It was a pleasure to serve you. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful time.

We look forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My stay was May 12-15. I was worried before I got there from all the bad reviews. I Was very happy when arrived. A couple of tips. If you plan to drink buy a couple of bottles on the way to the hotel or at the liquer store just off property. The drinks at the bars are over priced. BUT these day name a hotel where that iisn't the case. MY room was in the main tower. IT WAS CLEAN AND NICE! The pool and beach area were great! The exterior of the hotel did show some age. SO WHAT! another tip: we were torn on renting a car or doing taxis. We went with taxi. Happy we did. The parking and driving for that matter going to old San Juan would have been a head acke! We ate at some good restrants there and were cheap. Go to Bebos! In all I would stay there again. BTW ALL THE SERVICE IN PUERTO RICO IS BAD! I GUESS ITS JUST THE WAY OF LIFE THERE! THIS REVIEW IS COMING FROM A PERSON WHO WORKS AT A 5 STAR RESORT IN FLORIDA.

3 Thank jhawk77
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was a pleasure to have you here. We regret that you left Puerto Rico feeling that way about the service. We hope you visit us again soon. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Acworth, GA, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Our family recently stayed at the San Juan - Caribe Hilton. On this visit, we planned our stay from both perspectives: as tourists and as locals. Having lived in Puerto Rico and the San Juan area, we know the island better than the average resident. The hotel has a strategic location that permits easy access and driving to key areas. The parking management is "Puerto Rican style", but highly reliable and efficient at $18 per day. The man-made beach at the hotel is far superior to possibly all others in the San Juan area. If you like swimming in smooth water, protected by breakwater, and large enough to be a challenge to swim with / or without mask / fin / snorkle, then the beach at Caribe Hilton is the one to beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am on vacation and I'm going to be staying here for 8 nights when I got to my room it looked so horrible the outside doors were very dirty the glass in the shower was very dirty two of the lights are broken and the carpet is very disgusting not to mention they made me pay a resort fee which I'm wry upset about because this doesn't feel like a resort at all I feel like I'm staying in a motel.

1 Thank Jmboricua
Thank you for your feedback on your room condition while visiting us. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our executive Housekeeper and rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.

Allentown PA
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Everyone is pleasant and helpful. We are staying in the Villas and have not checked out yet, but feltthe need to say how helpful, happy and competent the staff has been. We will be back! The eveningfront desk manager, thesecurity guard who opened our safe when we couldn't, and Jody the evening concierge. Thank you all!

1 Thank Andrea K
LGMarcano, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while in our property and we will share your comments with our staff. We are delighted to know your stay is a pleasant one and do hope to meet you and thank you in person before your depart.

We thank you again for staying with us and for the opportunity to serve.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My family stayed here in April for a few nights before getting on a Southern Caribbean cruise and we really enjoyed it. The beach was perfect for my 6 year old daughter to snorkel since it is very protected and very calm, flat water. Not that we saw a ton snorkeling there but we did see fish and even some Lion fish out at the rock wall. Old San Juan is only a mile or so away so the location was pretty good too. Although we loved the property around the hotel the hotel room was nice but nothing exciting at all. Pretty basic room. With that said though the bathroom was huge and we did like the bathroom. Overall I would recommend this hotel and we liked it but thought it was pretty expensive. Oh yeah, just so you know. If you try to get the parrots to talk to you don't stand there saying hello over and over for five minutes like I did because they don't speak English. Try Hola and you will get them talking back to you. lol......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank justinr
Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for the feedback. we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with your family. We hope you visit us again soon. Our Parrots will be waiting :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!