“Perfect locale”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
“Perfect locale”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Caribe Hilton is a great place for relaxing on the beach or by the pool while staying in San Juan. Enjoy the spa onsite. Eat at Morton's Steakhouse. Enjoy the views from an ocean view room. Excellent choice.

• Stayed April 2013
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your comments.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We appreciate your feedback and will share with our Management, We hope to see you back in the near future.

we are at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
  • Polish first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We have a 2.5 year old and this hotel was perfect for our family of 3. The hotel has a private beach that is located on a small bay. Perfect for our son to play in the water. They bay had a lot of fish in it that also kept him entertained.

The rooms were a little small, but a great value for the cost. The food at the hotel was above average and started getting repetitive after a 5 day stay. The food at the hotel was a little on the pricey side. Unfortunately, there was only a sushi restaurant and a subway within walking distance. There are a lot of great restaurants within a 10 minute cab ride, but the cabs are expensive as well.

The customer service at the hotel was above average. We had a conflict with someone not enforcing the towel and beach umbrella rule consistently, but management was very nice and took care of the issue immediately.

If we return to San Juan, we will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Charlotte, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Staff was pleasant and helpful, lobby area welcoming, but the rooms are desperate for an update (the bed was clean and comfortable); bathrooms were unattractive, small, and in need of an overhaul. Pool is nice, although the metal chairs are rusting. Food is expensive, and unoriginal. We would not have stayed at this property except our group meeting was held at the Hilton Caribe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Spent 5 nights here with my wife and kids at the end of March. Our stay here was great. We were not coming from or going to a cruise! We were spending 8 nights in PR for sun and fun. So, we opted for 5 nights here and 3 nights on the south coast. I did heaps of research on all hotels in PR...and even those nearby along the coast. Based upon value for money / location / facilities... this is probably the best place to stay. My kids are 9 and 14, and we wanted a place to hang out that was close to the old town... and a good for heading out to explore the island.

My main advice: be sure that you are aware which tower your room is in. We got a great rate, so were not fussy. But, if you must have an ocean view then make this clear. If you want a high floor then the same applies. There is a newer and older tower. Nothing wrong with the older tower, but the newer one is taller and more modern. We had no probs. The rooms were great. Nice and clean. Lots of towels and regular maid service. Everything here works fine.

Pros: the pools are great! 3 pool areas to select from. Great for adults and kids. Swim up bar area, two hot tubs, lots of seating. The beach area is awesome! Great for wading or swimming. Nice and protected. Snorkeling fun for kids. Two docks to swim to. Lots of seating, and beach area. Shady spots, umbrellas... or open sun.

Several restaurants to select from. Good convenience store with well-priced food and snacks. No need to wander to a shop. Nice evening bar area near the lobby. Never even got around to looking at Mortons. Initially I laughed at all the comments re: Starbucks... but wow... this place proved handy!!

The car rental from the hotel lobby is crazy expensive... but just out the driveway of the hotel is a private car rental place that we used. Great cars for 1/2 the price! The bus stop to head into Old San Juan was just a 3-5 minute walk away. Staff will give you a map. 10 minutes by bus... or maybe a 30 minute walk. This is a highlight of the hotel... as the best restaurant options are in Old San Juan. There are some tourist shops nearby, and not tons else.

Free internet in the lobby - wifi or 4 computers. Free maps and driving instructions to different parts of the island. Great service from all of the staff.

Cons - not complaints... just comments. The restaurant prices are high. Fair, but high. We did not want to eat all meals in the hotel. We never do this. We actually rarely ever eat in the hotel. But, sometimes it is just plain handy. The food quality is not a highlight here, and this is why I do not give the hotel 5 stars. For what they charge the quality and flavor should be better. Breakfast was very pricey... and this is confirmed by the large lineups at Starbucks. Everyone heads here for muffins / yogurt / sandwiches / etc. It just makes sense, and is much better value. The cereal and milk from the shop was the best deal for my 9 year old. All better than $25 per person for a buffet. Anyway, you get my point.

This hotel was busy busy busy. But, I guess that is a good sign! Hit the pool or beach early and pick your spot. Chill during the day and head into the old town in the late afternoon. Rent a car one day and drive to El Yunque - so easy. You do not need a tour!!! Such a waste of $$. You can even rent a car and easily head to the east coast beaches or the caves in the south west.

Want more info... send me a private message. Have a great time here.

Room Tip: Be sure to know what standard of room you are paying for. Do you want a view or not? Don't eat a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 2006TravelBug
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed here to attend a conference. My over all impression is worn. The shower door in my room did not close and I created a large puddle. The next afternoon, I came home to three men fixing my shower. Other conference attendees had similar stories regarding repair issues. My advice to the hotel management is to fix maintenance problems ahead of complaints. Pool side lagoon was nice, and friendly staff. I liked the easy accessible beach rentals: kayak, paddle board etc. Noise was a bit of a problem in the tower. I awoke to peacocks screeching and delivery trucks. Would recommend staying on the other side. Once I got through the repair, the room balcony was nice with a peek a boo view of the ocean and a very large room. Easy taxi ride to airport and old san juan.

Room Tip: Pick the north side of the tower to avoid the loud delivery trucks.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We travel a lot and our stay at Caribe Hilton was among the best. It is a beautiful resort. We had ocean view rooms that were very nice (2 rooms). We have no concerns nor complaints whatsoever. We are Hilton Honors members and appreciated the breakfast passes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week in April 2013. It was our first trip to Puerto Rico. We found the hotel to be quite nice, the staff was very pleasant, our room was very clean, and the amenities were lovely. Yes, it is a bit pricey but you are in a resort and it is Puerto Rico. We didn't book any tours through the concierge but they were quite helpful when asked for information. I booked through a third-party and was told by Hilton that I would not receive any points for my stay. However, I gave my Silver HHonors card to the front desk and they gave me free Internet during my stay. That was quite helpful. We enjoyed the beach and the pool. I tried Snuba which was great and is highly recommended. Overall, I recommend staying here if you want to be within walking distance of Old San Juan, have lots of amenities, and want to be relatively close to the airport.

Room Tip: ask for the main building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there! thank you for your comments! We hope you had a great vacation and hope your snuba time was awesome!

we look forward to welcome you back soon! We are at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!