“Short stay before cruise”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Short stay before cruise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We arrived one day early for a cruise from San Juan and stayed at the Caribe Hilton for the night. The room was a good size and clean and had a refrigerator, coffee maker and sink in the bed area so you didn't have to get your coffee water from the bathroom. We had a nice garden balcony on the first floor. We couldn't see the ocean, but it was very private and we could walk right out the balcony door to get to everything rather than having to go through the hotel. The only complaint would be the breakfast buffet, it was not worth the money paid and the service wasn't very good. We sat at the "snack bar" area and had a couple of drinks and the service there was also not as good as it could have been. I would definitely consider a longer stay next time.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the vending area and doors. Ours was right by both and it wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jefnerbbq
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Caribe Hilton during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We thank you for your feedback on the restaurants quality. We take your feedback very serious and will share them with our Management. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,528)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

No problem upon checking in and no issues with the cleanliness of the room. I was in the Honors Tower on the 3rd floor with a disappointing view of the other Hilton buildings and a glimpse of the bridges. The worst part was all of the noise since I was right above what seemed to be a service entrance. Day and night the noise was terrible. At the beach I like to fall asleep with a breeze the sound of the ocean. When I opened the sliding door to the balcony all I could hear was the sound of what sounded like someone sorting recyclables. Even after shutting the door the noise was still quite loud. During the day when I sat on the balcony to read a book the noise from all of the trucks coming and going was horrendous. Then I was suddenly splashed with water from a balcony above. When I looked up to see where it came from it appeared to be from housekeeping cleaning a balcony above me - gross.

The service was as lackluster as the room. I called the front desk for help to connect to the internet and they were helpful but very rude. Then I could not get the iron to work and called for a new one which did not arrive. I Tweeted about the poor service and within 15 minutes had a brand new iron delivered and a few hours later the manager left a voicemail apologizing.

When I ordered room service, again I had to speak with someone who was not interested in making sure I was satisfied. Despite that my order was prepared and delivered within 10 minutes and it was pretty tasty. Much better than the food at the Italian restaurant on the property.

Other than those complaints, the property is beautiful. Service at the pool bar was great and I enjoyed the hammocks. There were plenty of deck chairs for the beach and the pool so you had your choice of places to enjoy the sun.

Overall, not someplace I would come back to. Last time I was in the area we stayed at the Marriott La Concha which was a much better experience.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Nekaya33
Your remarks are highly valued. We apologize for the room placement and for the inconvenienced you experienced with Services while staying with us. We unquestionably understand your discomfort. There is a very precise structure in order to avoid this kind of inconvenience and it certainly did not work this specific time. Our purpose and commitment is to provide you with impeccable and consistent hospitality and service, therefore I will kindly ask for you to give us a new opportunity to make it right. Thank you and please feel free to contact me at any time, if i may be of assistance.

I am at your Service,

Weymouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here with my bf in October 2012. Check in was easy. We were put in a tower room which was beautiful. Room was very clean. The pool area was nice and the beach was great! Also had a viewing area where you could feed the fish (there were tons of them). And on the grounds were ducks, turkeys, and tons of lizards. Was a $5 cab ride to town..not bad. Only drawback to this hotel was everything was wicked expensive! All drinks were $10! And I'm not exaggerating! $10 bucks for a pina colada? 7 or 8 for a beer? Food was expensive too. We ended up going to happy hour at the Morton's located in the hotel and that ended up being cheaper! I recommend eating somewhere else the entire trip!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kellie224
Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We certainly appreciate your comments and hope you had a great time.

I understand the food and beverages prices was of concern, we feel our prices are very competitive compared to other resorts of our level in the San Juan area, yet appreciate your feedback.

We are at your service

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I spent three days at the Caribe Hilton in early January. This was our second visit to this lovely resort hotel on the Atlantic and we were very happy we decided to return. Since our first visit we had read a few reviews complaining of poor service and so we were wondering if the excellent service we had experienced on our initial visit had maintained its high quality. It had. Happily we encountered the staff's usual willingness to go the extra mile. From check-in to check-out they displayed a high standard of congenial professionalism. I was especially impressed by the helpful and efficient check-in staff. I am a very light sleeper and the young woman who checked me in took the time to make sure that I got a room that accommodated my need for quiet. Also very helpful and courteous were the concierge staff and luggage handlers. Top notch all the way.

Indeed, the Caribe has a great deal to offer its guests. When it describes itself as a "luxury" beach hotel it is not engaging in mere hyperbolic rhetoric. The seventeen acre (yes it is that large) meticulously groomed grounds are a delight to the eye and provided a more than pleasant walking area for the two of us. While we are not beach loungers we couldn't help but be impressed with the world-class beachfront and spa amenities. Further, the park area featuring exotic fish and birds was so pleasant we visited it each morning of our stay. In addition, our room was spacious, very clean, and handsomely appointed. Oh, yes, and did I mention the panoramic Atlantic Ocean view? From the nicely furnished balcony of our high floor Tower building we looked down on the old fort, the turquoise surf rolling into the lagoon--mesmerizing and oh so relaxing. As a matter of fact, we left the balcony doors open at night and went to sleep to the sound of the breaking waves. What a pleasure that was!

Here are a few tips and observations that might make your stay at the Caribe even more pleasant. First, although there are nine restaurants on the property most of the menus are high end,and there aren't many restaurants within walking distance from the Hotel. But not to worry. The hot and cold sandwiches at Starbuck's (on the property and conveniently located) are both tasty and reasonably priced and there are lots of breakfast items as well. So . . . if your budget can't handle Morton's just saunter over to Starbuck's. Second, the cab ride to Old San Juan, Candado, and the cruise ship docks (we stayed at the Hotel before and after our cruise) is short (less than fifteen minutes)and it's really easy to catch a cab at the Hotel, but be aware that the drivers have a tendency to overcharge, or at least that was our experience. However, you can remedy this situation easily by asking the concierge about the appropriate fare and then asking a Hotel staff member to tell the driver what the rider expects to pay. This works well. Third, ask for a high floor Tower room to get a great ocean view. And, finally, don't be put off by the size and bustle of the Hotel when you get dropped off by the check-in desk. The Caribe is large, but so is the property and the place never really seems to get congested. So, enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor in the Tower building for a great ocean view. A corner room makes th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank james59929
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hello there! thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us.

We are glad that you had a great time. We appreciate your feedback and hope you visit us again soon.

We are at your service

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival all employees greeted us with a warm welcome. The agent hit all her points during check in confirmed everything including my HH status. This hotel is absolutely beautiful and relaxing and all housekeeping employees greeted me in passing. My concern with this hotel is that the pool bartenders and bell staff seem to me more interested in their personal conversation than the customer. I had to engage the staff myself and get their attention b/c they were too busy talking about god knows what.

Not sure why this hotel does not offer beachside food servers for orders particularly on a weekend. It was an absolute hassle to have to walk from the beach to the pool bar to place a simple drink order. I did love the mojito shakers however. I used that throughout my stay. :-)

Upon check out, the agent had absolutely no life or even appeared interested in her job. We asked if we could keep our luggage on property for a few hours before catching our flight. she said yes but then when all done with the check out continued her personal conversation with her colleague rather than calling a bellman over to assist. the bell desk manager came over to assist he asked if we were checking in or out but didnt bother to ask us how our stay was or help us with our last minute questions bc he was too BUSY talking to the other bellman.

We rented bikes which were disappointing bc they were old, noisy and rusty.

Lastly, not sure if the concierge is thru a third party but he was also horrible. No Hilton welcome or thanking the line of 6 people for our patience after waiting around for 10 minutes. Just dull and no energy.

Not sure if this is a cultural thing on the island but its definitely not a Hilton thing in my opinion. Don't know if I'd return to this Hilton. My recommendation is to train the staff on ensuring the customer comes 1st.

Jorge/Jose at piña colada club was the best!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank betsey_MIA
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent stay in Puerto Rico. It was certainly a pleasure to have you here.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. Let me assure you that I will share your comments with my Management team to ensure our levels of Service are consistent and up to our Hilton Standards.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

Ringgold, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Their prices are astronomical in all eating establishments on the property. There is absolutely no other places to eat other than a Subway nearby. Not a safe environment for strolling!
Do yourself a great favor....stay at the Intercontinental. A little more money, but very, very well worth it. And there is so much more nearby to see and do!

WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: We had to change our room to avoid looking at the roof of the front hotel overhang and the trash on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ndhurst52
Havertown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This sentiment is shared by husband and my two sons. Check-in on December 19, 2012 was efficient and for no additional fee, we were immediately upgraded from a room with a balcony to an ocean view room with a balcony. Our view was magnificant, the room was clean and fairly spacious, and the beds were incredibly comfortable. The staff and management were a pleasure to deal with. This was our first stay in Puerto Rico and we didn't just want to do "tourist" things. Every question we had for the Conceirge staff, and there were several a day, was answered courteously and we never felt rushed. One evening, my younger son went swimming. When he got out of the pool, he noticed someone had accidently taken one of his sandals. He wears a size 14 shoe, so it was impossible to find a replacement. The hotel management was kind enough to credit our bill for the loss. The grounds are breathtaking. At least twice a day we walked around the Tropical Gardens to see the exotic birds, fowl, and pond inhabitants. The beaches, although small, are private and very well maintained. It was relaxing to just hang out in the pools and hot tubs. In the evenings, we would either take the 20 minute walk over the Condado bridge or for 50 cents, ride the bus into Old San Juan. We were so sad to leave on December 24th. No doubt about it, we will be back really soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Shari R
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! We are very glad to hear that you had a wonderful time.

Hope you started to plan your next vacation with us already

we are at your service

#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,113 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!