“Great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calabasas, CA
“Great location”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The best part of the hotel is the location, views, pools & beach, and lobby area with large picture window at the bar. It is a quick cab ride to Old town for $14 dollars and then you can walk for hours.
The hotel staff are very friendly and accomodating. I cannot fairly comment on the hotel rooms as I was there on a conference and upgraded to a top suite which had wonferful beds and views. Food from catering was very good. I would highly recommend this hotel for a conference or meeting.
Spa was above average. I did a massage and pedicure - very nice staff & reasonably priced.
However, I did not like the food at Lemongrass and it was expensive. The food at the Oasis bar and the outside pool, Atlantico was very good. Also, very nice having a Starbucks right in the lobby.
I would stay here again - even in one of the regular rooms as a like the location for the price. I understand they are refurbishing rooms

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank skiathosdreams
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Hey there! we thank you very much for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We appreciate your feedback and will share with our Management, We hope to see you back in the near future.

At your service!
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Came in booking 5 massages from the States. The parking gates were closed so we had to go inside and ask them to open it and then we waited a good few minutes before they did so. Called twice to book and verify massage times. Did not have proper times when we arrived. The sauna was not turned on so we waited half and hour and it was still not as hot as a sauna should be. We also saw bugs in between the sauna floor planks. The steam room light did not work and smelled horribly. They did not give us shoes we had to ask for them. The water in the relaxation room was warm and tasted like tap water. The massage itself was a waste of money. Just light brush stroked across the body, not even close to a massage. This did not relax me, it was so soft that at times, it tickled. Told management staff. Didn't even aplogize. Told us we could have 20% off, but after we showered and freshened up said that it was already included in the price. Lies, we paid the price they advertised when I called the first time! Do not go, waste of money!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelQueen32
Thank you for your feedback on your experience while you visited us recently. Please accept our apologies. We are very sorry that you left unsatisfied with our SPA services.

I will share your comments with the SPA management to avoid this situation to happen again.

Feedback like yours help us to take corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future
At your service

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here last month for 5 nights with family. The beach and pool is great. The rooms in the tower we were in are clean, but a bit worn out. The vending machine on every floor did not work. Few things to do or see in walking distance. It isn't horrible, but it is an average hotel with overpriced food and few amenities.

Room Tip: Stay away from towers and try to get a room in the Villa's section
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AMSMike08
Hi there, we appreciate your feedback and comments, this is precisely one of the tools that we have to better undersand our guests needs and get better every day!.

We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've made many visits to San Juan and love staying at The Caribe Hilton. You have access to a private beach and Old San Juan is about 2 miles away. There are different wings to the hotel, so your room and view will differ depending on where you stay. Regardless, both will be great. The food is expensive. There's a Subway across the street if you don't want to spend $17 on an appetizer of chicken tenders. Better yet, go find a local spot in Old San Juan or walk down the street to El Hamburger. Happy hour at the bar is a bit better with a few $5 appetizers and $5 rum drinks. Starbucks is on premises for your morning coffee, and there are a couple of little boutiques (including a shoe store ladies!) for some impulse shopping. Service is great. Some of the staff even humor me and let me practice my Spanish with them. You can't go wrong staying here!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank thejetsettergirl
Thank you for your comments! We are very glad to hear that you had a great time.
we hope to see you again soon

Nelson Torrers, Hotel Manager
boston
Reviewed December 4, 2012

went there this novemebr 19-27.
awesome water 85 everyday. the ocean beach is ideal for chidren. No waves - they've put in a wavebreaker. the building is old but everything is functional. food is awefull in the hotel and pretty much everywhere else on the island. Puerto Rico is not about food, period. At the hotel I bought a mac-donalds type hamburger with fries. No lettuce, no tomato. 12 dollars + 83 cents tax. However, I'm not crazy about eating so I did not care that much. Pools and jacuzzi are WONDERFUL!!! Hammocks are nice, too. Come spring first thing I get a hammock at home. That's how much I liked it. On the island we only went to the old city. $12 one way by cab, we liked it a lot. In old San Juan eat at El Jibarito, the only good food place I know there.
Back to hotel. The tropical garden is heart melting! They've got peacocks, swans black and white, turkey, ducks, geese, chicken, and red carps in the pond. This is truly the garden of Eden.
People at the hotel are nice and cooperative. The day before the departure I was awaked by nasty sounds of a power-hammer at 9 o'clock in the morning. I called reception immediately. They apologized and offered $75 compensation. Not bad, huh? Later that day my brother (staying in a separate room) "remembered" that he was bothered by the noise, too. They gave him $75, too, no questions asked. I say WOW, don't you?
For small needs, go to Pueblo. It's a small supermarket, 10-15 mins away by walking. turn left at Pina Colada and walk along the river bank to save ~5 mins.
Also, near the hotel they have a boulevard type of street, with a huge playground. A nice perk, we loved it.
Oh, about the wi-fi. Expedia says it's extra so I did not take my laptop but when I got there I learnt that they were offering free wi-fi as a special at that time. Call them to see what the specials are before you go.
A movietheater is next to Pueblo. Half the movies are in English.
Ordering drinks at the pool is based on trust. You say your name and room and they add the charge. Yes, people abuse this system. But charges are dropped as soon as tell them that it was not you who ordered the drink(s).

Room Tip: ask for high floors, views are better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank stranstvuyuschij
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing theCaribe Hilton for your recent vacation!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. Hope that you find a very nice hammock for spring! If not hey! we will wait for your return to enjoy them again.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

at your service
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2012

really want to go back there very nice location and very elegant hotel, my wedding was there and we really enjoyed the view and everything... The food was excellent and the breakfast buffet was yummy....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding! We are very glad that you enjoyed and that everything was great!

Thank you for sharing your experience hope to see you again soon

At your service

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 3, 2012

When I first made this reservation I thought it would be a romantic and phenomenal vacation, I was booked at the “Caribe Hilton” the name HILTON says it all, Luxury, impeccable service, Romantic Ambiance, Restful and Tranquil environment and the Beauty of Puerto Rico. Let me start by crossing out four of five items, now that I think of it the Hilton has nothing to do with the beauty of Puerto Rico, so remove all the pluses and you're left with NOTHING!

First off, location of room, next to the construction site approx. 100ft away. On numerous occasions a fire alarm near the room was going off, it was ignored by employees but on two occasions we walked down seven floors to try and exit but the ground exit floor was flooded, I had to show the Manager the flooded area because he was told there was no water. Then he states to me "well this really isn't the exit." When I checked in no explanation of available hotel amenities and for additional charges. A final bill of over $200 was presented and reduced to $100 when I disputed it.

The negatives for this hotel far outweigh the positives. Add to all the facility problems, (fire alarms going off a flooded out emergency exit,) family guest lack the discipline to control or supervise their children who at 6:45am on Saturday and Sunday allow their children to scream, play, and attempt to open the adjoining room doors. Even though I called the hotel front desk all they did was transfer me to hotel security who said they would send someone up. The noise continued for about another hour and a half. We finally got up and left the room.

Despite the acknowledgement by hotel staff and management of all the problems the most dreaded and feared statement a Priceline customer can hear, “well we want to make this up to you but you did pay for this through Priceline so we can’t do anything.” In other words if you pay the regular room rates they MAYBE something could be done? When you purchase accommodations through Priceline you do this with the understanding that the savings you receive are not deducted from the service or accommodations.

The only reparation offered was free breakfast at the hotel restaurant. This is a $100 value was what the manager told me. Yes, it was a $50 charge each morning for a breakfast worth no more than $20. This hotel is by far the worst place I stayed in, I would have preferred the Hoboken Inn.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay like the Intercontinental San Juan 5-Star resort
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert M
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff.
Again, I apologize for the less than satisfying stay, and we want you to know that we will make the necessary changes. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!