“Great Hotel”

Caribe Hilton San Juan
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When we arrived we found that our travel agent had not upgraded our room (we paid for Ocean View). The front desk staff were extremely nice and even though we had to stay our first night in the original room, the staff were able to get us into an ocean view room for the remainder of our stay and gave us complimentary cocktails and breakfasts and had someone move our luggage to the new room the following day (we were away from the property on a tour).

The bartenders, Victor and Monica, as well as the poolside server (Jeannie), treated us like long lost friends.

The grounds were immaculate including the beach..saw a landscaper raking the sand on the beach. Awesome!!!! They'll even set you up with an umbrella on the beach for no charge (recommended...it rains everyday for at least a few minutes).

We cant wait to come back...next time we wont use a travel agent though (no hhonors points if you go through them).

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing the "Ocean" they consider it an ocean view even if youre fa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Hello there! thank you for your coments! We are very glad that you enjoyed ourselves in our hotel. I appreciate the feedback for our employees.

we hope that you are already planning your next visit! Please let us know if there is anything we can assist you with. We are at your service

There are newer reviews for Caribe Hilton San Juan

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had high expectations from this hotel, we had gone to El conquistador right before coming to this one, and really, it was a shame that we didn't stay in el conquistador longer instead of caribe hilton. We stayed at the tower and everything looked old in the room. The facilities are nice, but from what I hear you can't really buy anything there because it is too expensive. We pretty much liked the pool area, the beach area and the facilities where the lobby is. We had requested to stay in the renovated tower, and they gave our room away to other people. It was our anniversary, so I told them, they did nothing special for us. It was when I asked for something that they gave us wine. I asked for white wine, they brought me red wine. It was just disgusting. I am not a big wine person, but yea, it probably was the cheapest wine they had. Overall, it is overpriced for the kind of room you get. I didn't like that they really didn't pay attention to the notes, the pool closes at 9p, but they wont have towels for you after a certain time. If you are staying here, just don't have high expectations. The breakfast is too expensive for what they have, if you're going to stay at a hotel, just go to El Convento or go to another hotel in the area. Do not stay here if you want a nice room, and when you do request the renovated tower, do not expect to get it because they might give it to someone else. Overall this hotel needs updating on the old tower. It's just not fair to pay that much when you know other people are getting a much better room than you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience we caused to you during your stay. Your remarks are highly valued. We would like you and your husband to give us another opportunity to serve you. I invite you to contact me directly when you decide to return.

Again, we are deeply sorry that you left us feeling this way and would really like to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Everything seemed well as we pulled up to the hotel. Bussling environment, active lobby, then the check-in process...Staff wasn't too friendly, and seemed to be confused by the requests I had asked for. I paid to upgrade to Junior Suite with an Ocean view. I asked specifically several times for the ocean view, what I got was a partial ocean view, majority view of the city and the construction...First morning we wake up the construction I had mentioned. Before we checked in, my wife and I had talked about having coffee in the morning overlooking the ocean from our ocean view room. Instead we sat outside for about 5 minutes before our head started to pound from the construction. I proceeded to call the front desk to ask them about the construction, and they said it will be going on untill 5 pm for the rest of the week. I asked them to switch me to the other side of the building and they told me they could not. At that moment I felt like I had been lied and misled, as I did not have the view I paid for, and was not informed of the noise for the "upgraded" room. Later on during the day after lunch, and an excursion, my wife and I decided to get back to the hotel for a nap, couldnt nap though, as the noise was still loud from the construction. So we decided to watch tv instead, only problem, the cable/satelite wasnt working properly. The channels would be fine for 5 minutes, then freeze for 3 minutes, this continued for about 15 minutes, then we called the front desk. I told the lady, seems like my tv isnt working, her response, "We have had several calls, cable is out, nothing we can do", WOW, where was the "sorry for the inconvenience", or some sort of empathy? So we decided to rent a movie on their on-demand service, well as you can imagine, the $17.99 movie never came on, even after it said "Thank you for your purchase, enjoy your movie," so I called the front desk, the young lady said, "It should work, but let me give you a call back in a few minutes to see if there are issues from our end". I waited 20 minutes, no call, so I called her back, "Yeah sorry, its not working," not "Hello, sorry for not calling you back yet", where did we go wrong on this trip. This is our first full day and we have 3 more nights of this. I will be sure to NOT reccomend this place to anyone. Totally Appalled by the hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Again, I apologize for the less than satisfying stay, and we want you to know that we will make the necessary changes. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed in Hilton's before, and typically enjoyed my stay. Yet this past week I stayed in the caribe Hilton, and had many issues. It was a beautiful hotel, and the pool was clean, but the lobby of our hotel smelled like toilet every day. My room had ants in it, and the nicest person I encountered at the hotel was the housekeeper who took care of the ants. The first night we arrived we were tired and were going to have dinner at the Italian restaurant on site. We were sat, and no one came to the table to bring us water or anything for 15 minutes so we left.
I really don't like that they insist on us tipping at least 15 percent for drinks. When you charge 8.75 for a 10 ounce beer that you can buy across the street for a buck there is some nerve in insisting on a 15 percent tip. No where in the world do you have to tip that much for drinks. We actually had visited another hotel with a casino and drinks were half the price.
I also had a fall at the pool. Yes I am a clutz, but it was very slippery. All the care I got was an ice pack and a bandaid for a gash on my knee and ankle. Nobody even cleaned it off or gave me antibiotic ointment. I would have gone to the hotel gift shop but the bandaids and neosporin were so exorbitantly overpriced, like everything at that hotel that I went to a local pharmacy and purchased the supplies myself. The next morning I could barely walk so we had breakfast at your hotel which was over 50 dollars, just another thing at the hotel that was just ridiculously overpriced.
On check out, nobody even asked me how my stay was. I guess thats lucky because I would have told them. The concierge and security staff were pleasant, yet most of the other staff were rude. Maybe because we aren't hispanic, but people were not nice.
I am typically not a hard person to please, but I spent a lot of money to come to that hotel and I have never been more disappointed with a hotel stay in my life. I wouldnt reccomend this hotel unless you have money to burn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
LGMarcano, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations. We shared your comments with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met.
I understand the food and beverages prices was of concern, we feel our prices are very competitive compared to other resorts of our level in the San Juan area, yet appreciate your feedback. We are sorry about your accident in the pool, and would have like to be able to provide you with antibiotics and other medicines, however, we are prohibits by law to administer medications without a doctors authorization. I will share your feedback with our staff and do apologize if you felt they were rude, I can assure that was not their intention.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I'm a gold hhonors member and stayed with girlfriend for 5 nights. Place is as described - not luxury, but solid enough. And everything is very expensive (although we were prepared for that).

But, my deposit is still not returned even though I checked out on Oct 2nd (nearly 3 weeks). Called and was told I'd have to call back when the accounting department was open. No offer to take it up for me or fix the problem. Pretty disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank AWSH

We apologize for this delay, We kindly request that you contact our Credit Manager Mr Victor Pratts in our Accounting Department, he will gladly assist with process.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is one of my best hotel experiences. The hotel itself is a legend, and it does live up to its Hilton name after 60 years of operation. The location is great. View from HHonors Tower is REALLY sensational. Staff will give you the most useful suggestions to make your trip in Puerto Rico unforgettable, and the beach and all the amenities are top notch.

I think the only better Hilton I've stayed in is Hilton Orlando. But after all, that's a very "young" hotel. If I should come back to PR, I'd definitely stay in Caribe Hilton. And BTW, the price on Priceline is only $91/night. Unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank exzx
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We loved the Caribe Hilton in San Juan! The service was top notch, the food was amazing, the beach was peaceful, and the hammocks were a perfect extra! We ate at all the restaurants at the Caribe Hilton and The Pina Colada Club stood out the most! The food was just divine and prety close to authentic! Although the hotel was older it was clean and well maintained. We visited a few other hotels while we were in Puerto Rico and I personally think the Caribe Hilton has the best beach in San Jaun. The hotel had a little something for everyone in our group. You know it's a great resort when the bartender at the Renaissance Hotel tells you how amazing the resort is, as well as tells you that the Caribe Hilton put San Juan on the map for vacation spots. We left Puerto Rico well rested and totally fulfilled by our trip. We have never said this but we will be revisitng Caribe Hilton San Jaun! Thank you for a amazing vacation!

2  Thank Keligeee
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!