“Excellent Choice for Family Vacation”

San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from a 5-night stay at this property. This was our first visit to Puerto Rico, so we were very cautious in choosing where to stay. We were not renting a car (good choice!!), so we wanted a quality oceanfront property that was still easily accessible to attractions like Old San Juan, El Yunque Rainforest, etc. We read MANY Trip Advisor reviews about this and other properties, and chose this resort. We are VERY pleased that we did! Here are some PROS: beautiful oceanfront location with a lovely beach; every staff member we encountered was very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable- the bell crew always opened the front doors and were very outgoing with recommendations for where to eat, how to catch the bus, flagging taxis, directions, etc.; beach staff right on top of getting lounge chairs/umbrellas, etc.; Ashford Ave. location offers many dining options at all price options- if you don't want to pay the outrageous prices for the resort food/drink (see CONS below); pool is lovely and has a fun swim-up pool bar (although very pricey) plus both a tikes pool and "regular" pool + a slide. Very helpful to have a Walgreens one block from the front door, which included a small grocery market inside; rooms were good sized with very comfy beds; we had oceanfront rooms and our view from the 9th floor was very good (see pics); casino inside good sized and offers MANY different slots + table games.

Now the few CONS: Food and drink on property are outrageous (lunch our last day was 3 chicken tenders meals w. fries, a turkey wrap w. fries, 2 beers, a smoothie, and a pop = $81.32 before tip). You can eat @ Buns right across the street and have a huge meal for 1/2 the price. A beer at the bar is $7 ($2.50-$4 up and down Ashford Avenue), and other drinks are $11-15 each. I was disappointed in the Concierge/Travel desk (Jay I think his name was) when we tried to book a late Bio Bay excursion. The two companies the Marriott endorses were booked, and he told us that we would have to explore other companies on our own, as he only uses the two companies that were already full. Turns out, there are NINE Bio Bay tour companies that operate (see other review), and we made our own reservations and highly recommend the company we used! Would have been nice if Jay would have at least helped us with the other company names, web sites, etc. He did book us into a quality rainforest tour, but only promoted THEIR preferred providers. You do pay a "resort fee" per room, but that does give you Wi-Fi, 4 bottles of water daily (although this varied from 2-3 each day in reality), your lounge chairs/umbrellas on the beach, $20 in casino coupons, and more, so not too bad overall.

MISCELLANEOUS: the bus fare to Old San Juan is 75 cents/pp each way, but the buses don't run on a schedule, so prepare to wait. Taxis are mostly "flat rate", and the fare from resort to Old San Juan is $15 (we waited the first day w. others at the bus stop, and taxis offered us $2/pp, which we accepted, but only if there's 8-10 people riding. Taxis all are 12-15 passenger vans, and all we rode in were very clean w. very personable drivers- nothing like New York, Chicago, etc.). Highly recommend a visit to Old San Juan (make sure to check out the Segway Tour!), El Yunque Rainforest, and a Bio Bay tour during your visit- you won't regret any of these choices!! Unless you are a real adventurer, I don't recommend renting a car. Driving in San Juan is "unique". The roads are very congested, signage is ok, but finding where you are going would be almost impossible without a very good GPS. Transportation to/from most attractions is available for a reasonable price, and in my personal opinion, is WELL worth the extra $20/pp on average per event. If you do choose to rent a car, beware that parking will cost you everywhere you go, if you can find a parking spot! Taxis are reasonable, safe and clean.

In closing, whether you are traveling as a family like ours (2 adults + 2 teens) or as a couple, this property is first-class and worth the investment. I would absolutely stay here again if/when we get back to Puerto Rico! Hope this review helps another first-time visitor like ourselves!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank DanK927
Write a ReviewReviews (6,553)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had a wonderful room that had a large balcony opening up to view the ocean!! LOVELY!! The room was quite spacious and clean. The hotel is very busy all day long. While we were there, there was a wedding and a prom. So don't plan on having quiet time in the lobby bar. They also have live music in the evenings...which is pretty loud!! I am a platinum member of Marriott Rewards which gives me extra benefits. But here that doesn't matter!! They have stupid resort fees that covers beach chairs (it rained most of the time we were there), bicycles, local/long distance calls free, free internet access, free welcome drink (we watched these being made..they pass the bottle of rum over the cups!) and free casino match play coupons (key word..MATCH).
Half of these things are supposed to be free to me already so I really object to paying for them! I am glad I got to enjoy the water view because next time I will be staying somewhere that doesn't charge me $18 a day for things I should get free.

3  Thank Gagal
MDelgado01, Marketing Coordinator at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Gagal;

Thank you for your recent review. We are very sorry our property didn't exceeded your expectations. We value your loyalty and if you wish to give us a second chance please call us at (787) 722-7000 ext 42.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our family stayed for 6 days 5 nights and we had such a wonderful time. THe moment we checked in, they handed us complimentary drinks !!! They even went and made my 7 year old a non-alcoholic drink. Emanuel , who helped us check in was very helpful and kind. Everywhere we went we were always greeted by the staff in the hotel. The room was very clean and got our daily bottles of water. It was very nice waking up seeing the palm trees and hearing the ocean waves. Overall I would recommended this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dee M
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our stay here was wonderful. The staff was great, the best ever. If you are looking for a place to caterer to you, this is it. We only left the hotel once to have dinner at a lcoal resturant. The rooms were ok but the view we had was beautiful. We had a great time laying out at the pool. The casino was under construction when we were there, but you could still gamble. I recommend this hotel to everyone and you can bet when I go back to San Juan I will be staying at the Marriott and Stellaris Casino again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank shapiro w
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is our third trip to the property and the improvement in the morale of the staff is amazing. We had enjoyed the other stays,but the staff was never quite what we find at other Marriott properties. This trip they were like new people. Everyone was happy and friendly and it makes us want to go back. Our room was wonderful and the hard work by Jose,Christina and Jay was much appreciated. We enjoyed the entire stay. The bell staff was so kind and helpful as was everyone we encountered. Keep it up staff! You would make Mr. Marriott proud!!!

Room Tip: We chose ocean view and it was quiet and beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Greyhound56
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott after a few days in El Yunque. Was a nice change. Won $50.00 right away at the penny slots! Rooms were nice and comforatable. Enjoyed the daily 4 complimentary water bottles. We had a pool/beach view which was excellent. Front Desk staff was great. Hotel was clean. We ate in the "buffet" restaruant which was expensive (as we expected) and food was poor quality. Would stay again.

2  Thank EZLaVie
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel one night before leaving for a cruise. We arrived early around 11:30 am and were greeted by the friendly receptionist, who told us we would be called when our room was ready. We received a call around 2 pm that our room was available, and to come to the front desk. When I got to the front desk, I waited for about 20 minutes while an employee tried to check me in, who then stated the system was down to make the key (even though I watched several other people in the next line get keys). He had another employee take us up to the room, and we were told to stay in the room and a key would be brought up shortly (at this point it was 2:30 pm). I waited until a little after 4 pm and no one came to bring the key, so I called the front desk and they finally brought us a key. My husband and I were planning on spending the afternoon on the beach, but wasted quite a bit of the afternoon stuck in the room due to the key situation.

Other than this initial set back, the rest of our stay was enjoyable. We ate dinner at the steak and seafood buffet, which was very good. We also used the gym facilities, which were excellent compared to most hotels. We had a city view which was fine. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the furnishings appeared a little worn, but overall, the room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

The hotel is in a nice location and there were plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, and enjoyed my experience.

4  Thank Shannon_FL

Thank you Shannon_FL for sharing your feedback with us and other Trip Advisor members. The check in time at our property is at 4:00pm , but whenever possible our Front Desk staff tries to accommodate early arrivals. It is great to know you were able to get a room earlier, but would like to apologize for the room key inconvenience as it shouldn't have to take so long. We will share your review with the management team to correct this issue and prevent from it happening again.

We are extremely happy you had a good experience and would like to see you back soon.

If we may assist you in anything please contact yus directly at (787) 722-7000 ext 42.