“Exceptional hotel”

Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
New Hampshire
“Exceptional hotel”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We just got back yesterday from a wonderful stay at the Marriott. This hotel is in a fantastic location. Staff were nothing short of exceptional and the hotel itself is beautiful. We would definitely stay there again. The only thing negative that I would say would be about the price of the drinks. A beer in the lobby bar was 8.00....a little steep! But otherwise this is a great place to stay and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PRJenx2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,953)
southernsurprise
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Spent my honeymoon in San Juan at the Marriott San Juan Resort and Stellaris Casino. If you are looking for a secluded beach to enjoy, this may not be your spot, as San Juan is a major beach city (Just imagine ATL having a beach). I enjoyed it because it allowed my husband to have a good time, and I was able to enjoy the beach.

The hotel is beautiful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You get a rum punch when you check in, and if rooms are available, they are willing to upgrade your room. The room is nice. We had a corner room so it was larger than other rooms. The front of the room was the city view, and the corner was the ocean view; the patios do have furniture. The bathrooms are clean and include bath and body works products. There is a clothes line in the shower to hang wet bathing suits. The air conditioner in the room is automatic and will not go below 72. When you open the room door or the patio door, the air cuts off. I am not sure if the AC was not working correctly or if it was just that hot outside, but i was never "cool" in the room.

The hallways are a little warm, but the elevators move quick and the lobby and casino are a lot cooler. The casino is small, but nice. Two roulette tables ($2 minimum), a few black jack tables, poker tables, and a lot of slots. The bar in the looby is EXPENSIVE (walk a block to Walgreens and get your own beverages). There is a band in the lobby Thursday-Sunday and that was very entertaining.

The pool is large and fun! The bar is not open often and when it is, it's expensive. The beach is clean and you have access to chairs and umbrellas. The hotel offers activities throughout the day. We rented bikes for a few hours and that was nice.

The hotel is walking distance to a lot of good resturants (don't pay for Hotel food). There is a hospital two blocks away, a Starbucks across the street, Walgreens and Baskin Robbins are a block away.

I will return....

Room Tip: The corner rooms are bigger than other rooms, but the AC does not kick like you may want it to.
3 Thank southernsurprise
San Francisco
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hotel: Beautiful lobby and nice bar and club area. Live music on weekends - Great band!. Casino is small but fun, clean and exciting as you can make it.
Staff: Stellar! Every single staff, from bellhops, security, front desk to maid were really nice, all smiles and eager to help. A shout out to Ileanna at the front desk who helped us switch rooms, to a slightly bigger one.
Facilties: Nice, they have everything the typical resort has, including the charis, umbrellas, towel service, beach activities.. good pools, one waterslide that was short and your kids will like. Nice swimup bar though it wasn't open all the time. Pool area is separated from beach - plus for when it was windy, minus for when it was sunny.
Location: Great location - great beach in front, Starbucks, Walgreens and a LOT of good restarurants on Ashford right in front of the hotel. Don;t bother renting a car unless you're doing a road trip. take a cab into Old San Juan; all other excursions (dining out, clubbing, diving, ziplining, fishing, etc.) will have a pick up service, or is a short cab ride away. Use Isla Grande airport to get to other islands.
Food: Good, but pricey. Dinner at Vista was very good, breakfast was overpriced for ordinary.
Overall: great hotel, though a bit expensive

Room Tip: If you can, choose the Pool/Ocean view WEST facing rooms in Tower. Then you can see pool, city and b...
3 Thank feetsinmotion
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our first time in San Juan. From the moment you arrive, exceptional customer service from the staff is experienced everywhere in the hotel. The staff are friendly and welcoming. At check in, you are greeted with a delicious rum punch which was yummy. Check in was speedy and our oceanfront room had awesome views. The room was clean, beds and pillows comfortable and cozy. We never heard any noise from the 16th floor. Pool and Beach area is nice. Starbucks across the street with a Walgreens half a block, The food at the restaurant was delicious. Frozen drinks at the bar are delicious but very expensive. Frozen Drinks at this hotel are more expensive than the ones in Hawaii which actually was surprising. Next time I visit San Juan, this will be the hotel I come back to. Five Gold stars to the manager who is responsible for hiring customer friendly staff. Customer Service is exactly what sold me on staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank iluvtheocean
Albany, New York
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed at the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino from 22APR13 through 26APR13. We were in room 243. We wanted to spend quiet time alone the night before we flew home.
That last night, we had a major problem with noise from a wedding reception. The terrace where the reception was held was directly beneath our balcony. The loud music started about an hour prior to the reception, while staff were setting up for the event. Noise from the reception itself was horrible. There seemed to be little or no soundproofing, as the noise level with the balcony door opened was only a little higher than with the door closed. The bass was turned up so loud that our room actually shook from the vibrations. I did complain to the front desk about the noise--more than once. Over the phone, the front desk manager did offer to comp us a buffet breakfast. The offer, although not generous, was in my opinion, better than nothing.
About the noise, I should note that I did actually go to the front desk at about 9:50 p.m. and spoke in person to the front desk manager, who I took to our room so that he could see for himself what we actually were experiencing. I couldn't believe that a four-star hotel would cause guests to have to tolerate such a horrible experience, if managerial staff actually knew what was happening. I voiced my concern that the noise would not actually end at 10:00 p.m., as per the schedule. On the manager's behalf, I did note that he did go down to the event and had the loudness of the music reduced. He did follow through. Although the music did not end exactly at 10:00 p.m., it did end by 10:10 p.m.
We did enjoy the buffet breakfast the next morning. When we checked out, the person at the desk said we were "all taken care of". I specifically asked about the comped buffet. I was told that it was taken care of. While not happy with the resolution, I had intended to leave the situation alone.
After I got home, I checked my credit card expenditures online. To my surprise, I found that I had been charged $53.39 for the supposedly "complimentary" buffet breakfast for two.
Six days ago, I emailed the person at Marriott San Juan who has addressed poor feedback in the past. I have yet to hear back from him. Earlier this week, I called the front desk to discuss the $53.39 charge. The desk manager when I called told me the credit was entered, but would take about two days to post. I just checked (more than two days later), and the charge remains.
Charging me for what was supposed to be a complimentary breakfast only serves to add insult to injury. Indeed, a second, but related, problem has been added to the first. Now, the lack of timely correction of the problem only compounds my dissatisfaction.
I got the room through Hotwire, so didn't pay the over $200 per night usually charged. For this reason, I gave it an average value. If I had paid full price, I would have given a lower score.
I am still waiting to hear back from Mr. Cable-Treadwell, or perhaps some other hotel representative...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iwannaretire2013
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Iwannaretire2013

Thank you for your response. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but, after reviewing your response and looking through my email traffic,I did find an email in my trash file that outlined your concerns and I am usually in the very bad habit of rarely checking my trash file. As a result of your feedback, I will be more diligent in future.

I apologize for the noise on the last evening of your stay. We usually hold wedding receptions on the upper pool deck but have rarely received noise complaints as the music is usually stopped promptly at 10:00 pm. I am sorry that this did not take place.

Your frustration at the lack of timely resolution on the compensation offered is completely understandable and I will work with the relevant associates to ensure that it is fully resolved. Again, I apologize for the tardiness of my reply and if I can ever assist in the future, please contact me at 787 289 5036 or via email at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.
Sonora, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Loved this hotel the pools are great and the people are very friendly! Everything was clean and our ocean view was GREAT! I was disappointed that the restaurants closed at 9 and the outside bars (pool and beach) closed at 6. But there are tons of places to eat really close, we never took a taxi anywhere. The ocean was very rough and I would not recommend it for little ones, but I was told that's normal for this time of year. They had the usual chairs and umbrellas and wait staff on the beach. The Casino is really small but we didn't go for that so it didn't bother us. We didn't eat the breakfast at the hotel at $20 a person it was just as easy to walk half a block and eat for $5.95 a person. We did have dinner in their nice restaurant and the snapper was wonderful.

Room Tip: pool or ocean view is a must.
1 Thank JamieW05
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was a great hotel/resort for our recent mini-vacation (four nights). We had an oceanfront room on the 16th floor which offered amazing views (I highly recommend and oceanfront or ocean view room as it is very picturesque). The hotel is clean and all of the staff that we encountered were extremely friendly (the fruity drink while standing in the check-in line was very nice). The pool was relaxing and well maintained although a bit smaller than I anticipated (although there are two pools beside each other). The beach was beautiful and had huge waves the entire time we were there (they even have hotel staff to help you with beach chairs and in setting up umbrellas). We didn't step foot into the casino as we are not gamblers so I can't speak to that aspect. The area around the hotel (literally right outside of the entrance) seemed very safe and had several good restaurants (we had breakfast that was included in our package at the hotel each morning but other than that, only ate one meal at the hotel--beach bar-- which to me seemed very over priced as you might suspect). Drinks at the hotel were good although very expensive (you can walk across the street to Walgreens and buy some wine or other alcoholic beverages for your room : ) We also enjoyed our trip to the rainforest and the day spent touring Old San Juan. Overall, a great experience-we will be visiting PR again, hopefully very soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!