“Friendly Service Helps You Ignore Age of Hotel”

San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Not your top Marriott resort, but from my observations about mid-level in overall ranking. Here are my highs and lows:

Highs: Friendly service, central location, good beach, nice pool (not huge, though, but nor is beach) very comfy bed, relatively quiet rooms, well managed exec lounge available to elite members for breakfast and snacks, well equipped tiny gym and decent housekeeping of tired rooms.

Lows: Guests reported tiny bugs crawling (resembling fast tracking ghost ants - I just had one dart across my iPad screen), worn carpets in rooms, extremely poor water pressure (my shower on 20th floor often felt like bathing in a drizzle), now absent independent Tuscan Restaurant means you must leave hotel for a good meal as food is at best only fair, room service food ditto except breakfast that is average-hotel quality and tired rooms (good maintenance plus ocean view helps).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ohgeorge

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Family of 4 stayed for first week in April. We were delayed getting into out room but because they upgraded us to partial ocean pool view for FREE:) bad side is rooms are double beds not queens, only down side. Loved the property, workout area very nice, pools great but shallow, beach perfect waves big but under tow was bad due to rocks. Better if you swim to left of rocks. We didn't eat at restarunt due to eating out at do many tasty places. Very good food in Puerto Rico. Everything was close, Walgreen's many food choices, shops, Old San Juan 5 min can ride. Property always was clean. Best part was I walked away with casinos money 40.00 total, gotta love that. On property food was expensive go out and explore very good places along the strip.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank love2travelIndy
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a wonderful 2 night stay here before our cruise. We had 5th floor partial ocean rooms in the cabana building, which made our view more of palm fronds with glimpses of the ocean and pool but we rather enjoyed the effect! My sister had the same category in the tower building on the 10th floor and she had sweeping ocean views so keep that in mind when booking.
These were some of the most comfortable hotel beds we have ever enjoyed! The location of the hotel cannot be beat. It it across from some excellent restaurants and convenient to stores like walgreens. The service was excellent, I felt like I was truly welcome at the hotel. They gladly held our bags on checkout day so that we could enjoy the beach a bit more before heading out on the cruise. The beach could get a bit rough, it was fun playing in the waves but we stayed near shore to keep safe. I am looking forward to returning and perhaps forgoing a cruise and just enjoying more of San Juan!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FreidaMn
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We just got back from Puerto Rico and we stayed at the San Juan Marriot and Stellaris Casino Hotel. The Condado area is very nice with lots of restaurants, clubs, shops. Convenient enough to Old San Juan. It was one of the best vacations we've ever taken. We're from Illinois and it was March so we wanted to get away from the "winter" weather and enjoy a little sun. We booked through Apple Vacations and were picked up at the airport and transported to a beautiful hotel. From the moment we stepped in the hotel, we were met with exceptional customer service from the individuals at the front desk (Janine, Eric and Donika) to the concierge (Jay and Lana) to the maid service and beach area. I want to give a special shout out to Peggy Rosa in the Business Office. We had some confusion with reservations and she assured us that things would be taken care of and they were. The entire staff was warm, welcoming, helpful and always smiling. Our room was large with an amazing view from the balcony. The trip was a birthday present from my partner and it couldn't have been a more exciting or beautiful time.

Room Tip: Our large room overlooked the pool and beach areas and view was amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Curt H
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had a lovely room with a partial view of the ocean. the balcony was too sunny in the morning but heavenly at night when there was a full moon and the sound of the waves. Mostly, the staff of the hotel were very pleasant and helpful. The beach was lovely, although there was surf every afternoonand I would have kept my grandkids at the pools for safety, were they with us. There is a shallow kiddie pool and another pool which were both extraordinarily crowded during our late March (read spring break) stay meaning I was not confortable trying to swim in it. Our biggest disappointment was there very poor catering of the professional meeting my husband was attending, which was disorganized, expensive and very meager. We paid $70 a ticket for a reception which included a couple of glasses of cheap wine and, perhaps, three or four tiny nibbles of food. The banquet tickets were $90 with so so food, and only beverage beside water being a glass of dreadful sangria not even served til after most of us had finished our main course. We could have dined like kings anywhere else on the island for that. My recommendation would be to come to this resort for the nice rooms and pleasant beach, but do not plan on having a catered event at this hotel.

Room Tip: The east rooms, on the higher floors, have a lovely view of the moon and partial view of the ocean...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed here with two girlfriends for a long weekend each of the last 4 years. The year before that, we stayed at the Intercontinental which was nice (and closer to the airport - though both are less than a 20 minute cab ride), but the Condado neighborhood is much better. The Marriott rooms are nice and have the necessary amenities (decent views, safes, fridges, etc.), the pool is big enough, the gym is adequate, the beach is great, and there is a starbucks, a dunkin donuts, and a 24 hr walgreens across the street. The La Concha hotel is just up the street and much more expensive I think, but their beach layout is not as nice and you are paying more for a fancier, newer lobby/pool area. The El San Juan (also more expensive) has a much better casino and all the action in town seems to be in their lobby at night, but I've heard the rooms are dingy and outdated.

Only a few minor details prevent me from giving the full five stars - the hotel needs to upgrade its beach chairs (most are saggy and therefore very uncomfortable); since we pay for umbrellas as part of the resort fee they shouldn't hassle me when I ask for a second one; they should extend their wifi coverage to the beach area and not just my individual hotel room; and they have wait service at the beach but for some reason don't offer 1/2 the menu if you go up to the bar.

Overall we like this hotel and continue to come back here every year. I think it's a good place for families too - they have poolside activities and a water slide - although I can't speak to it since I leave my family at home when I come here!

Room Tip: what they consider "partial ocean view" is pretty good - don't know that I would spend...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding location located on beautiful Condado Beach. Hotel is located on the strip right across from many restaurants within walking distance. Hotels provides bikes, water , and beach chairs/umbrellas included within resort fee built into reservation . Hotel was very clean and I definitely plan to return Aug 2013.

• Stayed: August 2012
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!