“Family getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in San Juan
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Family getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have vacationed in Puerto Rico several times in the past and have always stayed at a resort, but this was our first time at the Marriott Stellaris. This hotel doesn't feel like a tropical resort..it feels like more of a business atmosphere. Not an ideal first impression as you enter for the first time. The beach behind the hotel has strong currents, not ideal for children. There is no lifeguard on duty and parents must exercise extra caution. Even though there are chairs and umbrellas, it doesn't feel like the beach front belongs to the Marriott. i would have liked to see huts or straw umbrella tables and chairs, making the feel more like a resort atmosphere. The beach also closes early at 6pm, and the chairs are stacked and collected. You can't sit on the beach and watch the sunset because they close it down early. Other than that, the staff was very friendly and service at the front desk was excellent. We had requested an upgrade to ocean/pool view, and the manager was very accommodating. It is conveniently located 15 minutes from Old San Juan and 15 minutes from the airport. The buffet breakfast was amazing..fresh, large variety and reasonably priced at their restaurant called La Vista. Be sure to ask for "Sunny from the Bronx" to waiter your table. He adds a smile to your face with his dry sense of humor..a great way to start your day! He is quick while he gives your table the proper attention so that you're able to get on with the rest of your day and he is very appreciative of your business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TCC274
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear TCC274

Thank you for choosing the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino to stay on your recent trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Your feedback is valuable to us and it is appreciated. You are correct, we are more of an urban resort and that affords it's privileges and comes with it's own unique set of challenges.

The beach at the front of the property does not belong to the Marriott. As with all beaches in Puerto Rico, our beach is a public beach and we have the pleasure of sharing it, as we do our streets, with locals and guests alike. Because of our urban location, the safety of our guests is our first priority and, although the Condado neighbourhood is an extremely safe area, we do practise caution after dark as you would in any city. However, there is no reason for our gate to the beach to be closed prior to sunset so we will check on this to ensure that the sunset can be watched from the beach by future guests.

It will be a pleasure to recognize the Front Desk and Sunny from La Vista with your comments at the next department meeting. Thank you for providing us with his name. we also appreciate your comments on our breakfast quality.

If I can ever be of assistance with your future plans to return to San Juan, Puerto Rico, please let me know by contacting me at 787 289 5036 or via email at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We used to go to that hotel when it belonged to another chain of hotels. The lobby is not pretty or elegant as it used to be. Now it is too crowded with a bar/restaurant right in the middle and is too cramped, as if they squeezed in that restaurant where there was no space. The decoration is not tropical but could be of any hotel in the world, boring and more of the same. The personnel were nice but not too much.

• 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Maria E
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I spent 7 days and 6 nights at the San Juan Marriott in mid January. The location is good and the service at the front desk excellent. I had an ocean/pool view but had requested an ocean front room but was denied as they did not have a room with a king bed available. The room I had was a corner room with a balcony. The room was roomy, the bed comfortable and the addition of a lounge chair was a plus. No watching TV from the bed! Room was serviced most days by 11 a.m. The one thing I had not known was this hotel seems to get many business persons and a lot of 3 and 4 day conferences. You do not get the usual vacationeer and it was hard to find fellow travellers to bond with at any time. Would be a great hotel if you had a long layover at the airport or just want a short getaway. I usually like to walk on the beach but they did not seem to groom the beach each morning as they do in other Marriotts located on a beach. The pools were lovely but they did not have anyone to locate a lounge for you or to place the towels on the lounge. You just grabbed a towel or two at the towel hut and took your chances with a lounge chair. There were no umbrellas at either pool for shade just the palm trees. The bar and food service in the pool area was better than usual. You never wanted for something to drink or eat and the servers were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I was in 904 a corner room and it was roomy and the balcony did not get the hot run after 3 pm and w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Arubagals
Dear Arubagals

Thank you for choosing us to stay at on your recent visit to Puerto Rico and thank you for writing about your experience. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and assists us in improving our facilities and services. I was pleased to hear that your room was to your liking and it had the space needed to enjoy your experience and thet the service around the beach/pool bar was of a high standard and appreciated.

Being centrally located, our resort does have a variety of travelers, from business, convention to leisure so I was sorry to hear that it was harder to meet fellow leisure travelers like yourself.

You have provided a lot of great feedback which we will definitely be looking into. The beach at the front of the hotel is a public beach thus is looked after by the municipality but we be in contact with them to discuss grooming standards and the times they are provided. Thank you for bring this to our attention. We will also review some of our poolside services to see if they can be tweaked to provide greater satisfaction.

Arubagals, if I can ever assist you in a return trip to Puerto Rico and to the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, please don't hesitate in contacting me at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.
Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel, we came down with my wife's sister and brother in law. Wife and I were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary, sister and brother in law their 37th. We mentioned it to Stephanie Santiago at the front desk when we were checking in. The following day to our surprise we both found a delicious platter of cheeses and grapes along with a good bottle of wine in each of our rooms compliments of the hotel! Can't say enough nice things about all of the staff at this hotel, from Stephanie at the front desk, to Javier the bell hop to Pedro the beach waiter and all the guys setting up umbrellas on the beach to Benjamin in security everyone of them always greeted you with a warm smile and seemed genuine in their regard for you and that everything was to your satisfaction. To us that's the most important factor when choosing a place to stay. The majority of big name chain hotels will have adequate facilities, it's the attention to their customers enjoying their stay that will set them apart. To all the staff at the Marriott thank you all very much for making our stay such a pleasure...we'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frank B
Maineville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights before a work conference started. The rooms were fine, always clean and plenty of towels, the AC worked just fine. Our room was on the 18th floor and I liked how the patios all had chairs and small table, we sat out there a lot and looked at our ocean view as well as down at the pool. The pool was ok, didnt seem to get much sun, the hotel is so tall that it creates a huge shadow across the pool most of the day and the beach by noon. The beach staff was great, they meet you at the access to beach and get your chairs placed for you. they know the sun movements and put our chairs in a spot that we did not need to move. We didnt go to the casino, although at night the whole first floor was hopping with activity. We ate in the neighborhood and felt safe. I would stay here again.

2 Thank Vanessa M
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

When looking for a hotel for my trip, I did not know which to choose so I went by Trip Advisors reviews. The Marriott proved to be a great choice. From the moment I drove up, every single employee went out of their way to either help me, answer a question, smile, open doors etc. They were the friendliest group I'd ever encountered on any trip. Truly, they went over and above what I'm sure they are "supposed" to do. The grounds are beautiful. You are right on the beach, have a lovely large pool to use if you choose to, nice bar outside etc.. The Red Coral lounge, located in the main lobby, serves great drinks and in the evenings on the weekends it opens up with live music. There is a casino on the premises. I was not impressed by it but then again, I've gone to Las Vegas so many times that it's an unfair comparison. My only surprise were the beds. We all agree that the mattresses were very uncomfortable and if you moved, it squeaked. They need to change them in the rooms that we had. That said, I would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank Lisa J
Lisa J

What a fabulous review ! Thank you so much !! It will be a pleasure to share your review with our associates over the coming week at their various department meetings.

However, I was sorry, and surprised, to hear about the beds of your group. If you have the time and the inclination, I would really appreciate it if you could contact me offline to share your room numbers with me so that we can rectify the issue so other guests don't have the same experience.

I can be reached at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com. Many thanks once again.
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend before our cruise. Our room was nice and had a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. Very nice lobby bar and a great band played later in the evening. The pool area was also very nice. We mostly kept to the beach area. Bar service on the beach was prompt and kept us happy. The beach was beautiful with really nice sand. We couldn't walk very far down the beach in either direction, but it is a nice enough stretch for a short walk. The workout room was also nice and had everything I needed including several treadmills so I never had to wait. All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#5 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 2,557 reviews

Been to Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!