New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“A great escape”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our trip started out on a great note when my friend, a Marriott card member, saw a price reduction in our room rate from the time we booked it, and got the price cut. A week before leaving, I befriended the hotel on facebook and was rewarded with a lovely 3 tiered basket of full size goodies (sweets, cheeses and crackers, fruit, juices, and soft drinks) shortly after check in. Rum punch or champagne is offered to guests who are checking in or out. Our room was comfortable and spacious with a full ocean view with a balcony that was a great spot for morning coffee or a glass of wine before dinner. The marble bathroom was large and accommodated double sinks with a long counter to space out toiletries without looking like a massive jumble. This was our second stay in San Juan; our first stay was in Isla Verde which was a bit limited in local area restaurants and farther from the center of Old San Juan. The Condado area was packed with an excellent variety of restaurants, high end shops, and convenience stores so that we could stock our fridge with snacks and drinks. We felt totally safe walking around at night. We asked a hotel worker for some recommendations for good restaurants that he would go to and at every one we enjoyed a great meal (Orosko, Ropa Vieja, Cafe del Angel); they were also within easy walking distance to the hotel. We enjoyed relaxing by the pool, but the beach was our favorite. It was so wonderful to stand by the steps leading to the beach and have the waiting attendant set up your lounge chair (first checking if you wanted to face the sun or ocean) then position the umbrella and then all we had to do was relax with a book in the sun. A wait staff came around periodically to check if we wanted anything from the bar. For two moms escaping husbands and kids, to have someone ask us what we wanted was heaven! The staff was always helpful and friendly. The lobby has a coffee shop where pastries and light lunches can be prepared for guests conveniences. There is also a Starbucks across the street. Just a couple of minor complaints, one of the elevators in our section was not always working which resulted in a longer wait. In one travel book's description, the lobby is suppose to be the scene for "big bands and Latin jazz performances", what we saw was a deejay tucked back in a corner one night. The Tuscany restaurant in the hotel offered a $20 price fixe which although reasonably priced,had inedible food. Over salted Bolognese sauce and dry chicken were replaced with mushy pasta aioli drowning in oil. The waiter was very nice and apologetic, and we were only charged for our wines. There are too many good choices outside the hotel to enjoy rather than to suffer through a bad meal. When we planned our trip, we debated whether to stay at the neighboring La Concha or the Marriott and knew we made the right choice after visiting La Concha for a drink. It is a slick, contemporary hotel with a cold edginess to it. I liked the overall welcoming friendliness of the Marriott for my getaway.

Room Tip: When my friend and I first considered staying at this hotel, we requested a room with the wrap aroun...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank coyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,774)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Recently returned from a 3 night trip at the Marriott San Juan. Here are my thoughts:

STAFF: Staff that worked during the day were nice (nothing to rave about). Overnight staff (we checked in at midnight due to a late flight) were extremely rude and could care less about helping us. We had requested a king bed and when we got up to our room, we had 2 bed. We tried to call down to the lobby (8+ times) and NO ANSWER ON THE PHONE. What front desk does not answer the phone? I was appalled and then went back down to the lobby. The rather abrasive and rude lady behind the desk abruptly told me that we were never guaranteed a king bed and that we could maybe switch in the morning. Overall – I was not happy with the response and her attitude. She could have been a bit more sincere about it, but was not. Also to note – we informed them this was an anniversary trip.

ROOM: Nice view (we were on the 19th floor) but room was pretty small.

HOTEL GROUNDS: Ok. Beach was nice, water was rough (to be expected).

FOOD: Only had breakfast one morning. Slow service. Food was average.

Overall – go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank M_NYC_84
Jersey city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having went to high school in San Juan, I travel there about 2 times per year. However, this was my first time at the Marriott. We stayed over Thanksgiving and chose it because of the great reviews and I wanted to stay in Condado, we usually stay in Isla Verde.

Overall everything was what i expected. I did not find the hotel exceptional, but solid.

Staff: They were helpful, but no one went out of their way per say.

Room: The smallest I have had in PR. I have stayed in the Conrad, Hilton, El San Juan and InterCon. I could barely close the bathroom door, maybe it was just my room - 1022. I will say the shower was awesome and the bed was great. I also liked that we were given bottled water each day.

Pool/Beach: Were fine. There are no umbrellas at the pool, but it has good shade. One pool is shallow and the other is normal. If you are searching for quiet at the pool, just sit on the chairs near the beach.

Restaurants: We did not eat at the hotel. Our favorite is Jam Rum Bar (which I need to review as well) it is down the block on Ashford. We also had tapas at La Concha and ate in other places in San Juan and Lechonarias in the country.

Coffee Shop: Was great, liked it better than Starbucks.

Overall, solid trip. I do not think I would stay there again. Our friends stayed at LaConcha and we spent time there and loved it, so next trip to La Concha it is (unless too pricey) then El San Juan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Melissa Y
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Melissa Y

Let me start by thanking you for choosing to stay at the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino over Thanksgiving and for trying Condado for a change over Isla Verde. As you know San Juan pretty well, I hope that you found the proximity of restaurants and nightlife all within reach of your location.

Thank you also for your candid feedback on the hotel and it's facilities. It is very much appreciated and we will share your feedback with our associates.

I am disappointed that you don't think that you will be staying with us again but the upside is that you enjoyed the Condado area and spent some time at our sister property, the Renaissance La Concha which is another of the wonderful Marriott International portfolio of properties we have on the Island of Puerto Rico.

If I can assist you in any way when you return to Puerto Rico, please let me know by contacting me at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.
North, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I am staying here for a long weekend and have to say that this Mariott really "Rings the Bell" I have stayed at the Aruba Mariott many times and have to say that this place is top shelf. I have never met more attentive and friendly staff anywhere. The resort is in a fashionable section of San Juan SI lots of places to eat and shop within blocks. E ocean water is a little rough but the pool is great. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel at home. This was my first trip to San Juan but I can promise I will be back to this resort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NJArubabound
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here prior to cruising. Perfect location, awesome pool, clean and friendly! I'd stay again. They served punch while we were in line! Great breakfast and coffee and good gym. Our room was a little dated but very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Betsy612
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here a night after our caribbean cruise. We arrived early and were offered to secure our luggage and proceed to the pool while our room was prepared. It took less than an hour for room to be ready. Beds were super soft and comfy, room spacious for 4 of us (corner unit in tower with same view as on the main picture). Pools were full of kids at daytime, but quiet at night. Beach around has waivy ocean influence, not the best beach at the island to swim, but good for walks along the shore. Plenty shops and restaurants around. At night you will hear singing frogs - like birdsongs, just beautiful!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just stayed here four nights. Ocean view room was superb. In-house restaurant was excellent. (Try the grilled Mahi-Mahi and Grouper.) Service was impeccable and the staff exceptionally friendly and willing. Location was perfect: a short taxi to Old Town and walking distance to many restaurants. Pool was fine and the beach was wonderful. But...the sea can be quite rough and the shore drops off quickly with currents that can be tricky. There is no lifeguard so while the sea can be enjoyed, one must be careful and keep a close eye on others in the water. I saw one woman struggling to get back ashore who had to get assistance to make it.

Room Tip: Take a beachfront room on a high floor if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,330 reviews
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!