San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
6,667 results
All reviewsla vistacoral loungeacross the streetocean frontcorner roomswim up barpool areachairs and umbrellasresort feeoceanfront roomtour deskbeach staffthe beach is nicecity viewan umbrellagreat resortpartial ocean view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Three of my friends and I visited San Juan, PR from October 5-8, 2012 for my birthday. We stayed at the Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino. Our stay was absolutely fabulous!! The entire staff were friendly and very accommodating. I cannot recall a time that we were not greeted by warm smiles. The hotel is centrally located on Ashford Avenue and not very far from Old San Juan. If you want to press your luck, a small casino area is near the entrance.

Room Tip: Our room enabled us to view both the ocean and the city/mountains from the balcony. Choose a high floor with a city/ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MsPearl105
Reviewed October 8, 2012

First, we would have normally opted for the Ritz on this trip but due to the fact I found a great rate through our Marriott Rewards we decided to “rough it” for the weekend. We also were told that there was more life in this area and we would probably enjoy it more based on that so we thought we made the right choice. Lessons learned….
Pros: Overall the hotel itself is fine. It was clean, the rooms were decent and the common areas were nice. There was great entertainment in the evenings in the lounge area. Food prices were not outrageous by any means (I get the impression that the ones that think it is expensive here do not travel much. I was actually surprised that it was so reasonable). So based on the price paid it was fine, but I am definitely willing to spend more on better service and will do so next time. The beach and pool area were decent and the swim up bar is a plus. There were plenty of chairs in both areas as well as umbrellas etc. We had an ocean view room on the 9th floor of the cabana building. Nice view and we found no issues with noise from other rooms.
As far as location, it was nice to be close to shops and restaurants near the hotel but we found the smell of urine in the streets and sidewalks to be so bad that we could not tolerate it. Within a 2 block walk it was unbearable.
Cons: Service was so unreliable. One moment you were getting decent service and the next moment it was as if the server was annoyed to be working. Honestly we found this to be the case in most places during our trip. For a location that relies heavily on tourism it was a disappointment. It seemed to be a common trait among the working people of this Island.
The casino is a joke. They make up their own rules, and do not expect that they will actually process your comps at the end of the stay because it does not happen. We are fairly serious gamblers and spend a lot of time in Vegas. We knew this would not come close to comparison, but it was far worse than any place we have ever played (aside from St Maarten). One night I played for 2 hours and never saw a server to get a drink. We would ask the Pit Boss and he would just shrug and say “yeah that is a common complaint here” Yet he made no attempt to fix it. Let me also say we were not just playing 10 dollars per hand. We spent most of our gambling time at the Ritz Casino where we were treated like royalty and where the service was excellent. We also had a great experience one evening at the Conrad Condodo Plaza Casino. The casino staff was not only excellent, but they even opened up a private table for us so we would not be annoyed by 5 dollar bet rookies that don’t know how to play. (You will find a lot of these rookies at the Marriott casino).
On our last day we attempted to use the business center for a transaction. The concierge called ahead to let them know I was coming but when I arrived 2 minutes later I was ignored. There were no other customers, just the employees sitting behind a glass wall clucking away about their personal issues and clearly ignoring me. I tried for 10 minutes to get their assistance and finally gave up. Its clear people are not interested in working here. Lazy is a common theme on this Island. I will however give credit to the concierge that did help me resolve the issue. Her name was Lania (I think) and she was lovely and probably the best employee I observed in the entire hotel. Additionally thanks to her a manager did make an attempt to try to contact us for more info on the incident, but we were at the Ritz all day and missed her calls (we spent most of our time there).
Another odd occurrence and example of inconsistent service would be on our last day we asked for an extra towel at the pool (which was not a problem on previous days). We were told they could not allow it because the hotel was full. Seriously if you cannot accommodate a request for an extra towel you have bigger problems than I thought. They had an abundance of towels and we just kind of laughed and walked away. The hotel was not full by any means nor was the beach and pool area so I don’t know why the towel nazi felt the need to ration towels but whatever….
There were a lot of pan handlers outside this hotel (and other places as well). There is a very large police presence all over the island including here but it is obvious that they do very little so just be careful when walking around. Don’t get trapped into a false sense of security because you see a lot of police. They are just as unmotivated as the rest of the people we encountered.
I personally would probably never return to this hotel and would definitely opt for the Ritz if we were to return to SJU (which we are in NO rush to ever do.. ). If you are ok with an average but decent hotel (and decent price) with not so decent service, this place is for you. If you don’t travel much and don’t know what else is really out there in the Caribbean than you may love it. On the other hand if you are a business traveler and must stay in this area this hotel would be adequate.

Room Tip: ocean view would be best. The view from the other side of the hotel is not much to speak of.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travelcrazy45
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear travelcrazy45

Firstly, let me thank you for the opportunity you provided us with by choosing to stay with us. I appreciate your feedback and our Executive Committee will be discussing it in detail.

I appreciate the positive commentary you provided in relation to our property, it's facilities and the pricing of our Food & Beverage offerings. Lani will certainly be thrilled that she has received recognition on a job well done.

It was disappointing to hear of your service experiences, particularly at the Casino, AYS and Pool Hut and we will be addressing those individually with the relevant Management.

Puerto Rico, and San Juan, just like many other destinations, certainly has it's opportunities to improve as it has the warmth and sincerity of it's people and the natural beauty of the Island itself that keep people coming back time and time again. We apologize that your expectations were not met but hope that you will provide us with the opportunity in the future to show you what so many guests experience by visiting "La Isla del Encanta".

If I can be of assistance, please contact me via phone at 787 289 5036 or email at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I took our long awaited honeymoon (after waiting 3yrs) and this was the absolute best decision that we could have made!!!
The hotel and staff was unbelievable clean and helpful! The beach was immaculate (please seek Edgardo). We loved it so much that we are planning to come back to Marriott next year!
Walgreens is right on corner and bus stop is just in front of hotel (75 cents must have exact change)
Please Note: The Marriott charges a resort fee $107.00 usd that was not included in our Priceline ticket price.

Room Tip: We changed room to a higher level floor with ocean and pool view. The best decision ever!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LesleyG2009
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I loved this hotel. Let us start with the basics - it is in a great location, has good food, great service, and is super clean.
From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I received nothing but stellar customer service. The doormen gave me great suggestions on places to go and little known facts about fun things going on.
The room was perfect, room 1907 - LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! The bathroom was spotless, the beds were made nicely, and it was great to always have 4 bottles (2 cold in the fridge) of water. They were much needed.
The activity hut is fabulous. Towels, noodle floats for the pool, books, just very nice. And the yoga by the beach was a great way to start the day.
The pools were all very nice and bigger than I had expected, which was a nice surprise. The swim up bar and water temperature were all lovely. The waiters and bartenders made sure the area was clean and clear of cups and food so as to keep the pigeons away. I really appreciated that.
As for the beach, oh my was that heavenly. The water temperature was fabulous, I could see my toes through the water, and even though it was a bit rough you could still be in and enjoy yourself. I would head down say 1 chair, 1 umbrella, and 1 table and was set. Never had to touch a finger to do anything. And the waiters on the beach made it all the more better. I also appreciated, that while those setting up the chairs and umbrellas were not lifeguards, they did blow the whistles to keep guests in a safe area away from the rocks because they know the riptides best.
The food and drinks were always good. Breakfast buffet in the morning was nice as the omelets, waffles, pancakes, and french toast were made to order and not sitting in a soggy mess.
The only slight negative is during the weekday nights the area surrounding can become very quiet so I stayed inside at the lobby nightclub at night. Not a big deal since they have a live band every night which are always great. And I could go to the casino, sit by the pool and listen to the waves crash, or just enjoy the balcony.
I would have no problem recommending, and staying again, this hotel. In fact, I already have recommended it. Great for solo trips, romantic trips, and friends hanging out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank BHoboken
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I went there as a treat to myself for my 50th birthday. Let me just say, it was the best present I've EVER received! From the moment I arrived at the property I was greeted by smiling, knowledgeable, courteous, helpful staff. The check-in process was quick and the complimentary rum punch was absolutely refreshing after traveling over 1500 miles. The room was immaculate and the view of the ocean was spectacular!! I spent most of my 'room' time out on the balcony soaking in that amazing view. I highly reccommend sleeping with the doors open while you're there. Special mention to our housekeeper Georgina. She was thourough and very friendly. The pool/pool bar and beach were perfect. Staff was never too far away if assistance was needed, but they never imposed. Did I mention the free rum punches in the lobby? They also had a free rum bar in the evenings. The bartenders were creative and very fun. The gym and spa were awesome. The decor was comfortable and chic. The place was kept spotless. I didin't play at the casino, but it appeared to be nice as well. This is the place to go for rest and relaxation (and a pretty good nite life too!). Excellent staff and service.

Room Tip: Request a room an ocean view. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo