“Quiet step back into history”

Museo de Casa Blanca
Ranked #54 of 202 things to do in San Juan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1521 as a home for Governor Juan Ponce de Leon, today this historic landmark contains two interesting museums of Indian and colonial artifacts.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Finally found this place - it is not easy to find - and it was well worth it. The down side, it has seen better days. The up side - wow. It's like taking a step back in history. As you stroll through the somewhat abandoned gardens, you can feel the history, you can see what was there before, and you can just fall in love with the place.

Spend nearly an hour just wandering about, enjoying the views, and the peacefulness.

3  Thank JRTirso

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I went with my kids to walk around our beautiful Old San Juan. We visited the Casa Blanca museum. It has a lovely history. It is well kept. And provide the sense of how life was 500 years ago and how we have change. My teenage daughter enjoy it every bit. The view are incredible.

The down side was cat all over the places out of control. I get allergy wish it bad. And I wish they had more information display in each of the room.

1  Thank Jenny_7801
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Our 20 minute visit to Casa Blanca preceded a visit to El Morrow which is visible from the driveway. This attraction was not properly signed so we asked some workmen in the area if the white house was Casa Blanca. Entry was free. Information boards showed how this building had changed in size and use from a family home to a military barracks over the centuries. What we saw was a multi-room building with 2 floors with a kitchen (some kitchen utensils and equipment in this room), a master bedroom (Spanish looking bedroom furniture in this room), a devotional area, and an eating/sitting area. Furniture was minimal. The inside walls were white washed, too. On some of the walls where the finish was scraped off, I could see the building materials for the walls. The building inside was bright with all those white walls and clean looking. Windows gave views to the harbor outside. At 9:30am we were the only ones in the building.There was an attendant at the door to greet us. She gave us a brief historical overview of this building. It was built in 1521 as residence for the governor, Ponce de Leon, but he died before it was finished. Outside, there was a terraced hillside garden; sidewalk was paved. Tropical foliage plants were planted here as well as at the entrance. In January, this garden didn't draw me in after taking a quick peek. There was no gift shop here, thankfully. Casa Blanca adds to the historical view of old San Juan and its military forts.

2  Thank retireeVancouver
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I walked by Casa Blanca on my early morning walks several days before I found it open and I was completely charmed.

The gardens are the most serene spot I found during my stay. The insights into the various methods of construction and the period piece along with the history of the building were well worth the time to explore. Went back a second time to simply enjoy the peace and quiet.

2  Thank LeadingWomen
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Casa Blanca was built in 1521 for Ponce de Leon. It is just a couple blocks south of El Morro. It has very few visitors. The mansion is furnished and the garden is absolutely beautiful. From the back window, the view of ocean and lush plants nearby take your breath away. The museum is closed from 12-1 pm, but the garden is open all the time. Do not miss this national historic monument when you walk around Old San Juan.

2  Thank Jenny201110