“not what i expected.”

Ranked #17 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
Springfield, Virginia
“not what i expected.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

as most of the reviews have mentioned, the hotel itself was located ocean front and had an amazing view of the beach. i have stayed in many hotels in very different places so ive had my share of bad experiences but this is by far the worst. its a beautiful hotel with motel styled service. no one greets you where you are and you have to wait long periods of time before you even see a single hotel employee. in the rooms, the faucets for the showers were rusted and barely worked and the outdoor area was always soggy and had a lot of brown and green algae on the floors. it smelled pretty bad upon walking by the hotel because i believe the trash was out front. the eco friendly aspect of the hotel i agreed with but shutting down the water is a but much. i understand that its not a typical american hotel, but for the money you're spending, you cant help but expect more for what you're paying. they should have more variety in food and have much better customer service, i definitely DON'T recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jaqueline C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Mayaguez
Reviewed August 6, 2012

For a ~$139 - $179 plus tax price tag, my expectations are set at the level you would set an average 4-star hotel.

With that said, the service in this establishment was extremely below standard, and I checked out a day before planned- I just could not bear paying this kind of money for the service we were receiving in return. Here are the most dissapointing points from my stay:

(1) Had to stand up 5 times to obtain a beach umbrella. Each time I was redirected to a different person which stated "you have to ask at front desk" or "you have to ask that individual over there" or "I am not the person in charge of that" or "I am too busy now, when I finish a couple of things Ill get with you if I can".
(2) Incredibly unfriendly staff. My wife and I usually got cold/unfriendly stares. When eating, instead of a "good afternoon", we were received by the waiter/waitress with a "Tell me" without a smile or friendly stare; like if we were in some kind of run-down diner.
(3) Had to wait ~10 minutes to receive service at the restaurant. Had to stand up, and walk to the beach bar at least 4 times to get service.
(4) Identity crisis: is this a guest house or a hotel? It seems like a hotel due to prices and facilities; but the service is extremely bad.
(5) Many times, when walking to the front desk, the clerk was on the phone in a (what I could tell) personal call. Made me wait long before attending my needs.
(6) They expect you to throw toilet paper on the trash can. That is absolutely disgusting.
(7) Water facilities were shut down twice. I heard it was due to internal infrastructure. Had to wash my hands and teeth utilizing melted ice from the day before...

Here are other less important reasons we did not enjoy our stay:

(1) No parking facilities. Valet parking was disabled when my wife and I arrived.
(2) Generally, room set-up/decoration did not live up to the cosmetics/aesthetics they show in the website.
(3) Locks were a pain to open and close, in both the front door and balcony door.
(4) No small table in the balcony. Chair in the balcony was deteriorating and falling apart. I've got a safe box; but no key.
(5) TV control remote did not work well. Had to press buttons ~4 times before it worked.
(6) Small radio set in room was deteriorating with oxidation. Disgusting.
(7) Phone in room had absolutely no tone; it felt dirty.
(8) No access to ice machine. No empty glasses in room. Had to order from the front desk thrice. That third time I was told that I had to go downstairs and pick it up. The person changed their mind and decided that it was OK to bring it up.
(9) At checkout, I had to wait ~7 minutes for a clerk to arrive. I was going to be charged for 3 nights, when in fact I only stayed 2 nights. I feel that if I hadn't noticed, I would've been charged more.

Here are the things we enjoyed of the visit:

(1) The beach.
(2) The food, when served, was top-notch excellent. Very well presented and delicious.
(3) Room Cleaning service.

Conclusion:

I am not staying at this hotel/guest-house again. Too expensive for the service you get in return. You're better off staying at a Condado Hotel or other Ocean Park establishments, and walking to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel J G

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

An amazing value and in a safe gated community in Ocean Park. All rooms right on a beautiful beach with great balcony. Huge flat screen tv and king size comfortable beds. Not a typical hotel which is what we like. More quaint and friendly.

All staff were more than helpful and heartfelt in guiding you to great place to go see and do along with great restaurants. Thank you Chris at the front desk and Louis at the bar you guys were like family! Cheers!

Adam Stone
Heart of Freedom Family

• Stayed August 2012
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I recently stayed here to attend a wedding. It is located in the Ocean Park area not far from airport or Old San Juan. It is family owned and has a remarkable staff! I speak no Spanish but it wasn't a problem at all. Our room was on the ground level which gave us instant access to beach and restaurant thru exterior door. Fully air-conditioned, comfortable bed, large bathroom with walk-in shower, very hot water, simply furnished and very clean! In house restaurant has a great menu and food was excellent as they have a world renown chef. Joey (the manager) was extremely gracious, personable and accomodating. Dining tables are both inside and outside including on beach. I highly recommend this hotel for all!!!

Room Tip: Ask for beachside room on ground level.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jthoepfel
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Everyone that works at Hosteria del Mar was absolutely wonderful. We arrived in the afternoon and had lunch at the hotel. Great food and a wonderful spot to sit. Only stayed one night, but would definitely like to stay here again if I return to San Juan. The Ocean Park neighborhood is a gated community, very nice. Would have like to have walked around and seen more. Not sure of the walking distance to restaurants or stores. The beach was nice and our room very enjoyable. Really liked the hotel and the relaxed and gracious vibe of the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
long island ny
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night post cruise April 29th. It's got the potential to be a lovely hotel but the owners seem to concentrate on the restautant and not the hotel part. We were up-graded to a ocean front room, which was very nice of them to do. But...
Our room was run-down, there was a missing pane of glass in one of the windows and piece of wood was used to replace it, the screen on door to balcony was torn pretty much top to bottom, rusted out and had to use lots of effort to open it,so kept it partially open. Couldn't open most of the dresser drawers. Didn't like the idea of having to put our used toilet paper in the wastebasket, instead of flushing, believe in being eco-friendly, but that was way beyond. Then during the night, ALL the water got shut off, no flushing, no hand washing and there were no signs telling you this.
The decor in the lobby is beautiful, and lovely pieces of art and stuff all around. The wood walls and floors are really nice. But it stops there.
We got there early on Sunday and was graciously allowed into our room right away, so put on our suits and went to sit out on the beach. We left to go get some lunch in the dining room and by time came back, the whole beach was filled with locals and they had taken all the hotels lounges ! No-one said a word to them, we're paying for the use of those chairs, not the locals. Never saw that happen at any other place we've stayed and was a big turn off for us. Spent the rest of the day on our balcony. Not what we had planned.
This hotel caters and relys on their restaurant, it's very obvious. It's in the middle of a residental area, so unless have a car or take a taxi,there is no other place to eat. There is a public beach a ways down that had a hot dog truck, but can't use it for dinner or breakfast. The menu prices were very high, but they know you have no choice. We spent as much on dinner & lunch as did for the one night stay there ! We come from NY so used to pricey restaurants but this was a bit much and felt they took advantage of being locked in to this.
I agree with previous poster, the price of the room was not worth it, could have gone closer to San Juan and stayed in bigger & better place for same price. If had been able to enjoy the beach & had better /cheaper food choices then this hotel is fine.
I can't, in honesty, recommend this hotel to anyone. We even left early on Mon. morning and spent the day at the airport rather than pay the ridiculous food prices or stay there any longer than had to.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tipsyq
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I juts had the pleasure of a two day stay with my daughter at the Hosteria Del Mar at the front-end of a week exploring PR. We enjoyed it so much that we came back early from the west end of the island and spent our last two nights there as well. The service was exceptional, salads terrific. I'll be back when I come through again and will be recommending.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Acacia Boutique Hotel
#32 of 48 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Hosteria Del Mar? Share your experiences!