I am a frequent visitor to Puerto Rico. When traveling with my young children, I tend to favor the large (although somewhat vanilla) hotels in Condado and Isla Verde (Marriott, El San Juan, Ritz Carlton and Inter Continental), because of their large pools, slides and other amenities that children tend to enjoy. This time, traveling without the children, I decided to try something different and stay at the Numero 1 Guest House. I was not disappointed by my choice. The rooms at Numero 1 are small but had character and were comfortable, clean and well appointed. Each room has a wall mounted plasma or LCD television, a stocked mini bar, a safe, an iron, and high speed internet. The continental breakfast is just fine. Plenty of fresh local pastries, fresh cut fruit, coffee, tea and juice. If you want something more substantial, there is a great bakery/restaurant (Kasalta) within walking distance. The pool is very small, but who needs a pool when the warm, turquoise Caribbean and white sand beach are just steps from your room. I found the staff to be friendly and very helpful, particularly Derrick (at the front desk) and Elizabeth (the lead housekeeper). While the location of the guesthouse is fairly central and allows for plenty of opportunities to mingle with the locals if you so choose, a car is a must. Taxi's are not only expensive but also need to be called and/or arranged for in advance.
The comments about Pamela's seem unfair. Yes, the restaurant is pricey. However, Pamela's is a stand alone enterprise and does not pretend to double as a restaurant for the Numero I guests. In fact, I found Pamela's to be a pleasant surprise since I did not expect to find any restaurant facilities in a 14 room guest house of this type.
I would recommend this place to any couple (gay or straight) who wants to get away from the large, touristy hotels of Puerto Rico and still remain on beach front property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Numero 1 Guest House features a sun terrace with swimming pool, free continental breakfast and free Wi-Fi throughout. It is located directly on Ocean Park Beach and 3 km from Condado Lagoon.Decorated in a contemporary style, the air-conditioned rooms offer garden or sea views. Each room has a ceiling fan, safe, private bathroom and flat-screen cable TV with HBO. Rooms also feature an alarm clock and wake-up service.The on-site Pamela's restaurant offers tropical décor, beachfront dining and award-winning Caribbean cuisine. Breakfast buffet, special diet menus and room service are also available.Activities such as canoeing, diving, fishing, hiking and horse riding can be arranged by Numero 1 Guest House. There is also a concierge service.This property is 10 minutes’ drive from Old San Juan Historic Centre and from Las Américas Shopping Centre. Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport is 7 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Numero Uno Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Numero Uno Guest House Hotel San Juan
- Numero Uno Guest House San Juan