“Great Getaway”

Ranked #13 of 29 San Juan B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Great Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

I am a frequent visitor to Puerto Rico. When traveling with my young children, I tend to favor the large (although somewhat vanilla) hotels in Condado and Isla Verde (Marriott, El San Juan, Ritz Carlton and Inter Continental), because of their large pools, slides and other amenities that children tend to enjoy. This time, traveling without the children, I decided to try something different and stay at the Numero 1 Guest House. I was not disappointed by my choice. The rooms at Numero 1 are small but had character and were comfortable, clean and well appointed. Each room has a wall mounted plasma or LCD television, a stocked mini bar, a safe, an iron, and high speed internet. The continental breakfast is just fine. Plenty of fresh local pastries, fresh cut fruit, coffee, tea and juice. If you want something more substantial, there is a great bakery/restaurant (Kasalta) within walking distance. The pool is very small, but who needs a pool when the warm, turquoise Caribbean and white sand beach are just steps from your room. I found the staff to be friendly and very helpful, particularly Derrick (at the front desk) and Elizabeth (the lead housekeeper). While the location of the guesthouse is fairly central and allows for plenty of opportunities to mingle with the locals if you so choose, a car is a must. Taxi's are not only expensive but also need to be called and/or arranged for in advance.

The comments about Pamela's seem unfair. Yes, the restaurant is pricey. However, Pamela's is a stand alone enterprise and does not pretend to double as a restaurant for the Numero I guests. In fact, I found Pamela's to be a pleasant surprise since I did not expect to find any restaurant facilities in a 14 room guest house of this type.

I would recommend this place to any couple (gay or straight) who wants to get away from the large, touristy hotels of Puerto Rico and still remain on beach front property.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank prnjdannyboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Upstate NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2006

My husband and I returned last weekend from a great stay here...only problem was the very expensive Pamelas ..and the surrounding neighborhood is not so safe..unbeatable staff and a very lovable cat named Spudz....we would definitely go back!!

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank lunasrotas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2006

My boy friend and I recently returned from #1 and would like to share these observations:

1. As to the "general services fee" that the previous poster lamented, this was disclosed on #1’s web site AND in the confirmations e-mail. I do agree that this is a considerable addition to their room rates (plus we paid an additional per person charge!!!).
2. The continental breakfast has wonderful breads, pastries, assorted fruits, juices, etc., and the internet access (LAN) is fast;
3. You will need a car. #1 is located in a neighborhood that is less than desirable by our standards. So you will need to get away for bars, dining, clubs, etc. (I hate to say this, but we 50 somethings found club hours too late for us. In Wilton Manors we older gentlemen find bars and restaurants popular around 7 PM). Parking is a problem even though they’re police at the entrance (as well as everywhere else through-out the city!) There is a mini-mart at the end of the street, as well as a Walgreen’s that is a block further.
4. The room and its amenities (# 6) are 1st class. We could exit the room to a small patio that led to the beach. The only disadvantage was the proximity to the kitchen. As we retired early (by 11 PM), we could hear the active in the restaurant’s kitchen (bang, bang, bang--come on, try a little harder to keep the noise down)!
5. Check-in was easy especially with hot Derrick; and
6. #1 does not have many gay guests. Neither does L'Habitation next door (By the way, L’H does not in ANY way compare to #1 which is by far a superior facility). Since we are accustomed to the Wilson Manors-Ft. Lauderdale area, we wanted to be in an area populated mostly by gay men. Unfortunately, that was not to be in SJU. In fact, even the disgusting Atlantic Beach had a mixed crowd (Bar very dirty--had one drink there the first day and never went back).

Final observations:

1. If you are gay, you probably would be better off in the Condado area.
2. My bf wanted an all-gay environment which would have required us to stay at the Atlantic Beach. After reading reviews of that (alleged) hotel, I refused. So, #1 was a compromise. It is a fine place but not really a gay place. If you’re straight, you’ll probably love it. My overall rating (1-5) is a 4 (I must admit that rating is pretty high from someone who prefers 5+* hotels).

Wilton Manors is by far the best gay place to visit. I know you are thinking, why did they leave? And the answer is that everyone needs to get away now and then espically with hurricane season approaching!

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2006

I recently stayed at Numero Uno Guest House and overall enjoyed the stay. The room was small but very clean and had everything I needed. The beach is lovely and the restaurant, Pamela's very good but pricey. At check out however, I was presented with a $69.00 general services fee. When I asked what this was for, I was told that Numero Uno is a very small hotel and must impose extra fees to pay for the hotel's upkeep. This fee was for the continental breakfast (which I did not eat as I am a diabetic and the breakfast was juice, coffee and a tableful of assorted pasteries which I cannot eat. I had to go elsewhere for breakfast), high speed Internet service (which I did not use), maid service (isn't that already included in the overall fee?), and beach set-up (chair, umbrella and towels). I tipped the beach guy for this and only used the beach for 2 out of 4 days as it rained for 2 of those days. I really felt that I had been ripped off and it marred my stay there. Will I stay there again? I honestly don't know and that's a shame.

Stayed March 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2005

This hotel is in a good location right on the beach (although the surrounding neighborhood is fairly rough). However, cab rides to Old San Juan and Condado REALLY add up. $30 - $36 round trip to OSJ. I definitely wouldn't recommend staying in the jr. suites. #1, it's across the street and down about 3 or 4 houses...not on the beach. #2, when we got there, the gate was freshly painted and there was no way to open it without putting your hand on it. There was no warning from the front desk, nor was there any assistance getting us over there. #3, the suite was located down a dark alley. No lighting whatsoever. Our lock was broken for the entire time we were there, even after asking them to fix it repeatedly. The manager even told us that there would be a maintenance person coming to fix it. Nobody ever fixed it. In fact, the maid closed the door one day thinking it was locked and when we returned it was wide open. Not until I actually brought the loose screw to the front desk on my last day did they relunctantly take the price of the lock off our bill. There was also another broken light inside the room that was never fixed. In addition, they were doing renovations and we were awoken by one of their maintenance guys hammering on the roof directly above our bed at 7:45am on Sunday morning. In fact, there was maintenance going on and paint supplies strewn everywhere outside our room every day we were there. In addition, I asked for a wake up call on the first day and they ignored it. After that we relied on our cell phone alarms. And it wasn't the first time we were ignored. The manager said he was going to call us to confirm a dinner reservation (in their very pricey restaurant, Pamela's) and he never did. We had to go to the front desk to ask and after waiting several minutes to speak with him he walks past us saying he has to show someone else to their room and saying, "I'll be with you shortly...oh yeah, your dinner reservation is confirmed." #1, he was nonchalant about getting back to us and #2, news to me that they actually show you to your room. Where was the welcoming committee when I arrived?? Other than that, the beach was nice, but then again, what beach isn't nice in PR. Definitely not worth the $165.00 we paid per night ($204.60 if you include the 15% service charge and 9% tax - ouch!)I wonder what the service charge was for...

• Stayed December 2005
11 Thank strongbow75
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2005

Unfortunately, the level of service at Numero 1 Guest House had gone downhill since my last visit a few years ago. The service is very impersonal: nobody bothered to learn our names, and nobody showed us around the facilities. The so-called Continental breakfast was extremely substandard: no cereal, no yogurt, no fresh fruit. (The breakfast consisted, in its entirety, of sliced melon, sliced pineapple, sliced bread, danishes, pound cake, juice, and coffee.) The room was clean, but plain. Our room was never cleaned before 4:00 p.m. Overall, it was a very disappointing stay. I won't be back.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank HopHopHop58
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2005

This is one of the best guest house if been the rest is very good and the place is wonderful the front desk staff was very frendly but Jonathan was excellent i will recomend this place to every body

• Stayed May 2005
Acacia Boutique Hotel
Acacia Boutique Hotel
#29 of 46 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Numero Uno Guest House? Share your experiences!