“What a Find!!”
Review of The Gallery Inn

The Gallery Inn
Ranked #6 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a one in a million find!!! be prepared for the unexpected, there are nooks and crannies all over the place and if you follow your nose you will arrive in some beautiful areas such as the roof top with 360 degree views of San Juan. The pool and garden areas are also worth a look and the birds will keep you occupied. Try the Cafe au Lait, Gallery style.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a window!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were in San Juan for a conference and were told by our concierge that we looked like we would appreciate something different. Oh indeed it was lovely! Six of us arrived by taxi to this unmarked jewel. We could not make it for the earlier sunset but decided to still come for the dinner. Jan, the owner, was simply delightful, and so gracious as she patiently took us around the grounds of this fascinating, art world, beautiful gardens and scenic wonderland. Her art is superb, the food was incredible (bravo to the chef!), and the gardens make this a delightful, peaceful experience. I would highly recommend this if you are looking for a relaxing evening.

Room Tip: We stayed at a conference hotel but toured the beautiful rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Jan is a suberb host. As Jan led us on a tour it is obvious that she is a visionary and when you enter into this world you are leaving the ordinary and entering the extroadinary. The Inn exudes romance and magic with a dash of mystery. The food, rooms, staff are like the incredible wall of orchids: possessing beauty and strength of spirit and purpose. This is an experience so worthwhile if you give yourself the gift to be open to the unexpected.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in mid-October 2012 after mixed recommendation from family members - one party advised against it and the other gave it an "OK." The garden is pleasing with many varieties of plants including beautiful orchids in bloom; sculptures and artwork galore. The reception staff was friendly and helpful from our experience. We paid US365 for 2 nights but felt it was not good value for money. We stayed in the Garden room and allowed for the mustiness in the room considering the age of the building. It would be decent for the owner to improve the hot water service that took forever to come on in the shower! Again old building, old pipes, etc.

My spouse and I are seasoned travellers and we agree that breakfast at The Gallery Inn was of the poorest standard thus far. Somehow I feel that the Gallery Inn does not value its guests. For example, we found the outdoor furniture was very wet with water on chairs and table when we went to sit in the garden for breakfast. I found it disturbing that no attempt was made to dry up the chairs for guests who wish to sit in the garden for their breakfast. On this occasion another guest had gone to retrieve a piece of cloth to dry the furniture. You may say that it is a trivial matter, however, I am sure I am not the only guest who expects some basic service after all I did pay US$180/night (tax included) for the privilege of staying at The Gallery Inn.

On another occasion we found a male (?staff or ? member) lying on one of the sofas playing with an electronic device in the dining room when we could not sit outdoor for breakfast due to the rain. This was a first for us! Perhaps it is PR culturally acceptable - if so I would happily put up and shut up!

Room Tip: From my expeience the Gallery Inn is probably not for you if: 1) you are sensitive to mustiness 2...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dukey1
Reviewed October 26, 2012

You could just spend all of your time hanging out here and you would be entertained! The staff was great, the birds put on a show, the art is intriguing. Something to look at - EVERYWHERE!
We had to navigate a spiral staircase to our room, so this would not be for everyone. Luckily we are agile enough, and did not have large suitcases! Loved the pool. Breakfast was wonderful.Enjoyed the rooftop deck and cocktails at the honor bar. Great location for walking through Old San Juan and discovering its charms. Took my best friend here for her 60th birthday and we had a ball.

Room Tip: Get the best room you can afford, as the set up of rooms and beds and locations is definitely funky.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Truly an Amazing Place.
Why would you come to Old San Juan??? For the History and Art right?? That is EXACTLY what Gallery Inn is all about. It embodies the spirit of Old San Juan.

Just to let you know, I am 40 years old, and I stayed here for 3 nights with my wife and toddler. We are both professionals and artistic. We pride ourselves in being somewhat bohemian and have a strong sense of ascetics.

I only write the above so you may see where I am coming from. that being said. We absolutely LOVED our stay at the Gallery Inn. I see from other reviews on this site that some people said this place is "Creepy". I didn't feel that at all. We thought that is was Charming and Curious. I guess that there are some people that just "Get it".

I will agree with another poster when they said' "What do you want from a 300 year old building" (It actually 6 buildings all combined which gives it its meandering indoor/outdoor feeling.. but that is a good thing)

Yes, the bathrooms are not modern, Yes, the doors are hard to shut. Yes the stairs up to the roof are a bit rickety, No, there is no TV, But it all has a feel of something wonderful or out of a movie like f "Great Expectations".

Not only the half a dozen parrots inhabit the Hotel, but the Owners and staff are intriguing and are all part of this wonderful piece of living art.

The restaurant was good and we were treated to an amazing live solo Classical guitar player who was very friendly (Felix Rodrigez)

If you are willing to sacrifice top of the line amenities in trade for a bit of Adventure and Magic this is the Place. Additionally you are steps from some of the greatest attractions in Old San Juan.

If you want a bit of low stress relaxation, I would recommend doing a day or two on the beach at a resort in Isla Verde or Condado. Then staying at Gallery Inn and Old san Juan for Adventure

Room Tip: I would spring for a bigger room as I hear that the small ones are pretty small..
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SeanLattrell
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel, located close to El Moro in Old San Juan, is not for everyone. The place is chock-a-block full of art: paintings and sculptures, many done by the transplanted New Yorker who owns the place. Any unused wall or floor space is occupied by plantings, fountains, antiques, collectibles and books, as well as parrots. The building is old, but the rooms are modern and charming. Eclectic, and charming. Nothing else like it anywhere I've been.

Even if you're not staying here, the breakfasts and lunches are delicious, and exploring the nooks and crannies are worth a visit. On some nights, there are concerts in one of the spacious upper level rooms that are free for guests.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor to the left and right of the hallway you enter off the street are the best...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple