“Refreshing change from the typical boutique hotel!”
Review of The Gallery Inn

The Gallery Inn
Ranked #7 of 30 San Juan B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Refreshing change from the typical boutique hotel!”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We found this property to be an intimate, artistic, and inviting place to stay for two female travelers. It was important to us to be at a property that is part of the local culture and within a "safe" walking distance to most of Old San Juan; The Gallery Inn did not disappoint. The staff was friendly and Jan D'Esopo definitely possesses the gift of hospitality. I don't particularly care for birds; however, I was captivated by Campeche and his companions. This is not a place for anyone who wants a traditional hotel experience or someone who has an aversion to stairs. We look forward to staying here again and going back to eat at St. Germain Bistro & Cafe!

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We recently stayed at the Gallery Inn with our three children ages 9, 13 and 17. We would not change a single detail of our stay! The family room suite (el balcon) was perfect for the 5 of us and the balconies/ view were an added bonus. Breakfast and tapas in the evening were an enjoyable time to gather with guests, the owners and staff. My children were constantly entertained by the antics of the birds. We loved the flowers, art, music, furnishings, amazing pool and of course our feathered friends. Until this stay my children would always push for large resort vacations. I think with this visit they finally understood that a unique place like the Gallery Inn makes for a remarkable and memorable vacation. They each told me individually that they would never forget their stay in Old San Juan....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed April 23, 2011

With lush gardens, artwork and sculptures adorning the premises, friendly/helpful staff, and welcoming hosts, this weeklong vacation seemed to be a little piece of Eden. The Gallery Inn draws those who want something off the beaten path, not the ordinary cookie-cutter vacation. Families with young children were as comfortable as couples and singles alike on the inviting patio where breakfast and evening tapas were served. Campeche, the resident Moluccan Cockatoo (aka "the social director"), provided daily entertainment. The dinner options, with menus changing daily and prepared by a master chef, rivaled any restaurant in old San Juan. To add to the atmosphere, a local classical guitarist entertained guests during Happy Hour several nights while we were there. Each room is uniquely decorated and, with the building dating back to the 1700's, the charm and individuality of each room offers personalities destinctly their own.

Room Tip: Ask about rooms with an ocean view.
Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This place is for you if you are looking the most AMAZING & PERFECT experience-my only regret is that we had to leave...
I give this place 10 stars out of 5. I live in San Francisco and travel for work and have stayed in probably 80 B&Bs this one hands down is #1. It is so good it feels more like a high end castle that you get to call home for your stay. It is adorable and classic. There are all the basics: a CLEAN room with a super comfy bed etc. An AWESOME LOCATION. AMAZING decoration and artistic design features… from the whimsical plants everywhere to the sculptures and chandeliers... Jan the owner and artist is one of the most amazing women I have ever met! I hope to one day be half the woman that she is! She is an inspiration and it is a gift to enjoy the space she has created. There were so many wonderful things to explore and discover from the roof top views (go there for sunset or sunrise) of the ocean and all of Old San Juan, to the GRAND piano room where my husband played the piano, very romantic, to my favorite bird ever Campeche! Who greets you when you arrive with Hola! The evening before we walked around Old San Juan but were more interested in getting right back to explore our B&B. I'm so glad we did b/c we were in for a real treat! Most evenings the Gallery Inn has the greatest classical guitarist I have ever seen play while we dined on amazing fool spun up, on the spot, in the kitchen! YUMMMMMY! We chased it all down with the best Rum I have ever tasted… The Gallery is so much more than just a B&B, it is like going to Disney World but so much better! If you are staying here make sure to build in enough time to just enjoy The Gallery Inn. It was truly are favorite thing in all of Old San Juan! There is so much more I could say but you should just go see it for yourself! Have fun and tell Campeche (the parrot) HOLA for me from San Francisco!!!
As a final disclaimer, I have never written a review before but seeing a few negative comments from what I would say were the WRONG GUESTS made me very upset. It makes me literally sick to think anyone would miss out on this experience b/c of the terrible feedback from a grumpy traveler who should have stayed at the Marriott. So having said that The Gallery Inn is not a cookie cutter hotel like the Marriott it is a home. There are stairs; it is a 300 year old building! If you want to ride the elevator and roll your roller bag into your cookie cutter room and sit in front of the television this place is way too exciting for you-go to one of the big resorts down the road. If you consider yourself young at heart GO TO The Gallery Inn where you can enjoy yourself!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Bridget079
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Our family recently stayed at the Gallery Inn in Old San Juan. We'd stayed there years ago, before having children, and had been waiting until they were older to bring the whole family. Our kids are now 9, 11 and 12. This Inn is a very special place and a wide variety of travellers will enjoy it. The Gallery has many qualities not found at an Inn in the states: very friendly and personal service, gorgeous accommodations (somehow both luxurious and rustic) and an authentic local experience. The owners are very present and involved and our family enjoyed chatting with them over breakfast and dinner/drinks. The atmosphere was both relaxed and sophisticated. We hesitated letting our kids play in the pool as we thought it would be too disruptive but we were made to feel as though we were very welcome. Old San Juan is right outside your door, walk to the forts, galleries, restaurants etc. The food was home made and excellent. The birds in the lobby stole our attention and Campeche stole our hearts (Campeche is their pet cockatoo and the official "social director" of the Inn). We will be back every year.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2011

To say that I am a frequent traveller would be like saying that the Gallery Inn is a hotel - talk about an under statement!
I travel constantly - in fact i have now racked up over 3 million miles on American Airlines alone! (My passport is worn out - in fact I have a new one and that is already threadbare!)
As such a leisure trip is not something I do as a matter of course - however in the case of the Gallery Inn this is truly an escape from reality. From the moment I arrive at the antique 'portal' that provides entry to this magical place I can literally feel the stress leave my body. The gardens that are part of the hotel, literally providing outdoor rooms, are filled with flowers, parrots and in many cases other guests. As I have visited this hotel many times I am welcomed as a member of the family, a glass of wine is pressed into my hand and my bags are taken to my room while I succumb to the warm embrace of Puerto Rican hospitality. Jan (gracious hostess and artist extraordinaire) proudly shows me all the improvements since my last visit - I am dizzy with excitement! From the intriguing swimming pool that was created from the ruins of an old house, to the new offerings from the gourmet kitchen, there is always something new to discover. Darkness falls - the noise from the street blends with classical music that is piped throughout the courtyards, the patios and other areas that I wander through in delight. I look forward to the next day when I can enjoy the comforts of the hotel - or travel back in time through the streets of San Juan. My magical evening ends when I climb the stairs to my incredible room - I gaze at the moon over the water through the ancient window and finally make my way to my Temper-Pedic bed where I fall into a dreamless sleep. Bliss!
Even though my stay is short I will leave refreshed and ready to face the work week - this is truly a travel haven!

Room Tip: Specify requirements when making a booking -
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Hello Puerto Rico

You have an ultimate destination in your backyard. My wife and I have a second home in PR.
If you need a romantic getaway, personal escape, or just the need to experience a one of a kind place - stop in at the Gallery Inn and have some wine, tapas, art, and adventure. It is priceless!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple