“Well preserved fort with amazing views”

Castillo de San Cristobal
Ranked #4 of 204 things to do in San Juan
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This massive 27-acre series of fortifications is the largest the Spanish built in the New World.
Rotonda West, Florida
116 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Well preserved fort with amazing views”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

If you go here and Morro you save a few bucks by buying the combo ticket. If you are 62 or older and have a USA Nat'l park pass it's all free including 3 guests, cool! In pretty good shape considering. The views along the coast eastward is where you would build your deck :)

Visited February 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice place to see”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I think the fort is a very neat place to see. Unlike other forts, this one is structurally sound. You can imagine what might have happened there years ago when looking out the towers. The admission price is very reasonable (I think $5 it was). After leaving the fort, we walked a short distance to Old San Juan and hopped on the free trolley to take us around.

McMinnville, Oregon
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wonderfully Preserved Historical Landmark!”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I am so glad that we spent several hours touring through both Castillo de San Cristobal and also El Morro. Very interesting and very photogenic. I believe the entrance fee was under $10 and enabled you to visit both forts. We visited San Cristobal first and then hopped on a trolley which took us to El Morrol. We chose to get off at the street rather than being dropped at the fort gate to enable us to walk past the cemetery and a couple of the out buildings. Worth the walk. The forts are incredibly preserved and amazing to walk through. I do, however, wish they had some of the rooms "furnished" as they would have been when the forts were occupied. It would have been a little more interesting. Great experience!

New York City, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Very nice, but preferred El Morro”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The views were spectacular, but I enjoyed the National Historic Site much better. I would say that if you go to one of the forts, there's no need to go to the other.

Vancouver
696 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 752 helpful votes
“Closest Fort to the Pier, but Uphill Walk”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This fort is about a 5-10 minute uphill walk from the cruise ship piers. If your time is limited do the walk rather than wait for the free trolley. I preferred walking to El Morro along Paseo de la Princesa, a shady, non-hilly route, and then downhill to see Castillo de San Cristobal. We bought the ticket for both forts for $5, rather than paying $3 for each. Now that I have seen both forts and realize how similar they were in construction and use, I would have chosen to visit just one of the forts and then spend some time in the cultural museums to see what they had to offer.

San Cristobel fort had few displays, a minimal number of information boards (written in English and Spanish) that pointed out the forts defensive features, and no tours by park attendants on a weekday. We wandered around looking at empty bunkers where ammunition might have been stored, where officers had their mess hall, and where soldiers had their bunks. I found the new tower built during WWII intriguing as it showed the fort still had uses in the 20th Century. I didn't see any signs pointing the way to the tunnels so we headed back to the ship for lunch after our short visit, under an hour. Castillo de San Cristobal is close to shopping around the Plaza de Colon. We found that there were more tourists at this fort than at El Morro.

3 Thank retireeVancouver