“Run-down charming grafitti bar”
Review of El Batey

El Batey
Ranked #4 of 47 Nightlife in San Juan
More attraction details
Owner description: This buffet-style restaurant can serve you and up to 499 of your closest friends.
Oslo, Norway
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Run-down charming grafitti bar”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Laid back traditional bar with no fancy things on the menu but charm and atmosphere. Rum drinks served in plastic glasses and beers in can or bottle. Worth a stop.

“Sorry”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

How u doing im Ivan the bartender from el batey. Right now were on vacations so we be back in 2 weeks sorry again for the trouble if u came by

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“A long night ended at El Batey...”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Being from Minneapolis, I can say this bar( as anyone who ever visited the Twin Cities and truly sampled the so-called "Dive Bar" scene could attest) is very much a subtropical Palmer's.... I can say this with authority having both bounced and bartended at the Palm Club for some years... only Palmer's doesn't have room for pool tables.... the juke box is awesome(although it could do with some Clash, et.al... but as a place we stayed and drank till 4, it was total awesomeness... especially considering our early morning flight back to Uffdaland...

Visited February 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Dive bar of all dives”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I love a good dive bar so upon reading reviews on tripadvisor as well as other sites I knew I had to come here. I'm not going to lie though when my girlfriend and I first walked in we took a look around and were a bit skeptical. We decided we'd have one drink and leave. Well before we knew it it was 1am, we were many drinks in, and we had made friends with the locals that frequent this place. It's not the bar, but the people that come here that make this place special. If you come to El Batey you must go in open minded and willing to talk to the local people. They were so appreciative of us being there and talking with them. We spent 5 nights in Old San Juan and two of them were in this place. it would have been 3 but they were closed on our last night, which was a Monday.

Oh, I should also mention that the jukebox here is great. If you like classic rock, you'll love it. If you meet a man named Francisco tell him Ryan and Lacey say hello!

Visited June 2012
Stratham, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My new favorite bar”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

This place will rock your world...that is, if you are cool with true dive bars. I don't mean the wanna be dive bar, I mean an actual dive bar. The jukebox was awesome, the drinks were perfect, and the bartender (Ivan??) was right on. There were locals, there were tourists, and everyone was more than taken care.

OK, so the bathroom was a little scary- wet floors always weird me out- but then again, it's a dive bar- why wouldn't the bathroom floor be wet. I can honestly say without hesitation this may be my new favorite bar. It's one of the first parts of our vacation we talk about and recommend it to everyone we know traveling to Puerto Rico.

Seriously, this place rocks.

Visited March 2012