“I Love This Place and I can't stop”
Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
New York city
Reviewed April 28, 2005

thinking about it since I've been back home. I have a completely different view of old San Juan having seen it both at sunset and sunrise and I'll be going back vey soon.

If you'e looking for a slick style delivery like only what's ordinarily the product of one of the bigger hotel chains this place is probably not for you. I mean my TV remote didn't work and I also heard what might have been a neighboring toilet flush very early in the morning and to some of you those two things alone might be enough for a deal breaker but El Convento is so beautiful and interesting and soothing that frankly I didn't much care about either. So if you want something different but very upscale, literary without being snobbish, if you want to see how really beautiful and sleepy old San Juan is early in the morning or you would enjoy reading at the end of the day on the veranda underneath the shaded rawd iron gazebo enjoying an afternoon coffee or tea while overlooking the 400 year old pastel yellow Cathedral of San Juan you'd love the El Convento Hotel.

I'll be back . . . I loved the room, the food, the privacy, the tapas bar, the ambiance, how the palm trees and lush foliage played with the light all day long providing the most interesting spaces throughout the property. I loved the multi level terraces, the colorful flowers and that beautiful little square right outside.

If I could make one request it would be that maybe a few vegan or macrobiotic type dishes would be added to whats already a delicious menu just so people who really like to eat light or smart or vegan can find lets say a soy burger or veggie burger or mahi mahi burger or a seitan or tempeh dish. No need to make a big deal about it but it would be great to know its there . . . and I bet many of your guests would like to have a chnage of pace every now and then.

I think if you keep in mind what the El Convento Hotel is and more importantly what it is not, you'll have an unforgettable experience staying there.

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,775)

Reviewed April 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed here in March when our flight to Guadeloupe was cancelled and we found ourselves stuck in San Juan for a night. Our stay could not have been nicer. From the moment we arrived we loved this place. Gorgeous hotel with soaring ceilings, Spanish arches and a stunning courtyard around which the rooms are built. This place manages to combine the best of old world elegance with contemporary style. And, the added bonus is that the service from all staff we encountered (including waiters in the restaurant) was efficient, warm and hospitable. We arrived about 10:30 PM starving and were delighted with the tapas restaurant. The rooms are a tad on the small side but the ambiance, service and sheer good taste more than compensate. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank EmilieV7
West Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed April 10, 2005

We are big "Short Vacation" people and this was the best !

Our four days and three nights could not have been better.

The room, pool, wine & cheese parties, food, furnishings, art work, statuary etc. were all outstanding but the best part of all were the people--------- they catered to our every need and made us feel relaxed and comfortable.

Thank you all and we'll see you again.

Mary Anne & Bill

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The T-Dot (Toronto)
Reviewed March 22, 2005

Wow,

This place was so pretty and charming, so much character. It's hard to find such places these days to stay in. The service was great - the conceirge (sp?) was so helpful in booking tours . . . we went with Rafeal to the rainforest - it was great !

We didn't eat at the restaurant but the courtyard and rooms were lovely. The free wine and cheese was awesome.

If you want charm, history, great hotel - stay here ! If you are looking for huge pools with swim up bars and slides - stay away !!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best i have stayed in - period.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2005

The El Convento is a charming hotel in the heart of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. The hotel is a converted convent. The rooms are charming, but small. There is beautiful courtyard in the center for dining and drinks. There is also a tapas bar in the hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of all the shops and the cruise ship port. We did not eat in the restaurants as we were with a convention, but the food catered by the hotel was great. Friends did tell us that the tapas bar was very good. The staff was very helpful and courteous. We enjoyed our visit very much.

3  Thank seattlebarb
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We recently stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of a relative that lives locally. The room was clean, but smaller than anticipated. The first night went fine, but the second night (Thursday) there was booming music until the early morning hours from the bar/restaurant on the property. We requested a room change the 3rd night and were pleased with a larger room in the quieter part of the hotel.
The "gym" consists of a couple of tread mills, some older cardio equipment and a weight room. Hardly worthy of mention.
The problems with this hotel were as follows:
1) We had them book a tour for us and were told we would be picked up at 8:45 am. At 9:15, still no sign of our tour, so we went inside to inquire. As it turned out, the tour company called the previous day to say they would not be coming until 9:30 and OOPS! the hotel lost the message. An hour of our precious vacation time wasted.
2) We asked the hotel to transfer our luggage from the 1st room to the 2nd room while we were out for the day. When we got back from the beach, all we wanted was a hot shower, but we had no clothes to change into. We called the front desk to inquire about our bags, and were assured they were on their way. 15 minutes later, no bags, a second call. "They're coming." 15 minutes later, I walked downstairs and got my own bags and hauled them upstairs myself.
3) They did offer a decent continental breakfast, but some of the wait staff was inhospitable.
Overall, first, I would expect better service for the price. Second, while the hotel was very cute, historical, and well situated, it wasn't worth the price we paid. Save your money and stay in Isla Verde or Condado. It will be money well spent.

7  Thank KidsAreATrip
Reviewed March 14, 2005

Stayed here one night before our cruise and it was delightful. The rooms and baths are small but are lovely. You get the feeling you are staying in a Spanish parador. The evening wine reception was a hit and the breakfast was wonderful. If you want to be in old San Juan the location is perfect. Looking forward to my next visit. Only negative was checking in, if I did not read about the evening reception and breakfast before I arrived I would not have know about it from the front desk. Other than that I would have given it an excellent.

5  Thank morningstar2