“My most loved Hotel I ever saw”
Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia
“My most loved Hotel I ever saw”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I found a little note on my pillow and it said " In Pueto Rico when we wish to have a guest feel very welcome we say " Esta es su casa", that is your home and wish you this thought and wish you Good Night - Buenas Noches". My little room in heaven was overlooking the Ocean to my right and the Harbour of Puerto Rico and to my left a wonderful old church in the middle of Sant Juan the old party of the city. As soon as I arrived I was invited to happy hour on a veranda again and just had the Harbour in front of me and the church where a mens choir sang. Breakfast the next morning in the middle of the former Monastry court was just so wonderful, I only can recommend this little place to everybody who wants to visit old San Juan as all the sightseeing points are just in walking distance, but stay away from the poor people living quarters right on the edge of the water and you are fine and secure I walked around all by myself alone and had no problems

Room Tip: Room with a bigger window and a balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gaby S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 14, 2014

You feel as if in a palace, which it actually is, used to be a convent, and in those days, religious buildings were built as real palaces. It is very well kept, rooms are very well appointed with all amenities, and the view from the terrace is breathtaking.
Also the location is wonderful, in the middle of the city, walking distance from the forts and museums, highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank German R
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed two nights here in April 2014 before heading off on a cruise. From the moment that we arrived we knew that we had found a truly special place.
The decor and lobby area is quite charming, but authentic and reminiscent of the Paradors of Spain.
Loved the location in Old San Juan. If you are after a beach holiday and party atmosphere, this is not the hotel for you. (In Fact, Old San Juan is not for you, but maybe consider a night or two here before you head to the beach, you will not be disappointed). We did catch a cab over to a sister property to go to the beach one day, but I wouldn't bother doing that again on a subsequent stay. It took about a half hour to get there with traffic and really reaffirmed that our boutique hotel was a lot more charming than a large multinational.
Loved the wine and cheese happy hour and found this a great way to meet other guests and hear their travel tips.
Ate at the restuarant in the courtyard and the tapas - and loved both. (We were fascinated by the menus that "light up" in the courtyard restaurant ... I haven't seen them anywhere before)
If I could go back to this hotel tonight, I would. What a shame it is so far from Australia. It was without doubt the best hotel that we stayed in on our month long trip. (We raved about it so much that some friends who were also in PR at the same time ended up staying there after us - they too cannot stop raving about the hotel)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank 68HolidayQueen
new york
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I travel to Puerto Rico often and this was my first time at this property.The hotel is beautifully renovated - the rooms have a lot of traditional or historical elements, but modern conveniences such as a safe and mini fridge. The bed was really comfortable with enough pillows and soft towels.Water pressure was just right. Air conditioning was excellent and atmosphere was quiet at night when you're trying to get good nights sleep. Centrally located in old San Juan and walking distance to many historical attractions.Choice of several restaurants in an open air fashion with beautiful foilage and orchids making it a truly beautiful Caribbean experience. I arrived from New York City on a Friday afternoon just in time for lunch. I was promptly seated in "Patio del Nispero Restaurant "and my waitress Vanesa immediately attended me with a gracious welcoming smile. She was eager to aswer all my questions regarding the menu and made several suggestions on what to order. I opted for the "mofongo with shrimp" which was absolutely wonderful. Breakfast was equally wonderful and that Puerto Rican "cafe con leche" made my morning the next day. Jose Grande was an excellent waiter as well. Staff is really professional from the front desk. Adrea and Jeysika were able to answer my questions and make suggestions on where to go. Jose Benitez the security at front door was extremely helpful as well. He was able to direct me on places to go as well. Let me not leave out Jose my bartender who made the most delicious mojitos. I had a wonderful stay, with a great room and wonderful and very attentive staff. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: 5th floor facing bay.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank lexie54
Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Beautiful hotel! Upon arrival the staff was very welcoming, they gave wonderful dining recommendations along with a map and directions. The 6pm reception was nice and we mingled with and met other lovely guests. The experience was amazing, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda W
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I'd never been to San Juan before and someone else booked the hotel. Immediately on arrival I was struck by how really nice people the staff were. We had a baby in the party. Not a single one of the staff passed with acknowledging us and smiling to the baby. It made me feel good to be there. The old world Spanish feel to the place was welcoming. I just loved it. The bedroom was probably remodelled from a nun's cell though the design made it acceptable enough. Don't go expecting high end luxury in this department. To clarify, the bedroom was completely acceptable for me. The central courtyard was a really nice place to eat or have a few drinks. In fact, this courtyard is one of the nicest features of the hotel next the the excellent staff. Would I go again? Certainly!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank John S
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed here the first night of our trip Puerto Rico, and have nothing but wonderful things to say about it! The hotel itself is beautifully renovated - the rooms have a lot of traditional or historical elements, but modern conveniences, and we had a wonderful time sitting in the courtyard restaurant having a glass of sangria and watching the geckos!

The hotel staff were also wonderful, welcoming and so helpful! We were traveling to Vieques the next day and they gladly helped set up a car service for us. On our last day, we traveled back to San Juan and had a couple hours to spend before heading to the airport. We stopped back at El Convento for breakfast, and the restaurant manager (Ruben), was just wonderful! No worries at all that we were not currently checked in, he set us up with a wonderful breakfast, and even took our luggage to hold in his office so we didn't have to drag it around San Juan while we toured around. We were so touched with how thoughtful that was!

Definitely recommend a stay here on your trip! Central to all of Old San Juan, completely customer-oriented and historically beautiful - you can't miss!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!