“Loved this hotel”

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
“Loved this hotel”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were lucky enough to get a reservation at this Old San Juan location. We could walk everywhere. We loved the wine and cheese in the afternoon and enjoyed the hot tub on the top floor open to the moon and the sky.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
Palmetto, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay! It was perfect from start to finish! I highly recommend this lovely hotel - for the location, the ambiance and the food. Old San Juan is filled with great shops and wonderful food!

Room Tip: Room 519 has a private terrace
4 Thank Deborah I
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were fortunate enough to book the Hotel El Convento for a Saturday evening in January. We checked in around 3:00 pm and while finding our way to the 'front desk' was quite an adventure (taxi dropped us off on the wrong side of the hotel) up and down stairs dragging our luggage around, we finally made it. Checked into room 302 overlooking the park across the street from the hotel. Room was quiet, larger than expected, two double beds with nice linens, towels and amenities while clean, clean, clean!! High beamed ceilings with a ceiling fan and heavy wooden doors to close out the early morning sun. The ambiance of this hotel with the courtyard, trees, plants and just quite peacefulness was perfect for us. The patina on the floor was one that can only be found in a centuries old building and gets better with age, BEAUTIFUL! Dropped our bags and hit the sidewalks. Great location with many quality restaurants and bars along with ease of walking to the fort. Diagonal to San Juan Cathedral that was having a very posh wedding at the time - great to sit on the outside common terrace and watch all the goings on with a bit of wine and cheese!
Did not use the plunge pool but looked like people were enjoying it. Did have morning coffee and fruit in on the common terrace and it was a beautiful way to start the day. A street festival was going on a few blocks away and we strolled along and enjoyed it for a few hours, as I mentioned, this hotel is in the heart of a beautiful and vibrant city. Romantic, pretty, peaceful and a great location.
This hotel is also very secure. A key is needed to gain access to common areas and to gain access to all floors. I thought it weird and inconvenient at first but realized the importance later in the evening.

4 Thank Kneadsdough
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a week in Puerto Rico. One of the pleasures when travelling is of course eating out. We did not stay at this hotel but we did eat there twice during our seven days on the island. That says something really great about the food and service.

We ate lunch there twice and it provided a tranquil oasis during the San Sebastian festival. We were lucky enough to have the same waiter, Jose Luis, both times. He was excellent, we were parched from walking and he kept the water coming.

The food was also excellent, my wife got the same thing both times - the chicken wrap - she loved it. I tried the burger the first time and I had the grouper ceviche the second time. Both excellent.

I can only rate this hotel on the food and waiter service but if the rest of the hotel hits the standards we encountered, it would be a great place to stay. The location is probably the best in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Lunch - don't miss the restaurant.
2 Thank Rykman
Puerto Rico
Reviewed January 27, 2014

very charming historic hotel in old san juan.comfortable beds.very clean rooms.
just a walk to all the important and historic places like san cristobal fort and la fortaleza(governors house) .In front of the san juan cathedral.near "museo del niño"
breakfast is very good.the pizzeria on the premises pizza e birra has the best pizza in san juan.
the only thing we (my family and i) din't like was that in the interior patio and in the halls
there were a lot of mosquitoes.they bite our legs,and if you don't close the door soon enough
they enter your room and this can be very annoying.
they have a cocktail hour every day were they serve wine and cheese and some fruits in a terrace were you can see the bay and the cathedral.
very nice place to stay .!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank yramPR
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon in November, and it is an excellent hotel. My wife chose the Hotel given she has an affinity for Boutique Hotels, while I prefer nice modern style.hotels.

The check in process was simple and it was kinda cool you get actually real keys to your room, which you can turn in anytime when you leave the hotel to check out Old San Juan.

At first glance I wasn't impressed with the room because it was kinda small to my liking, but it quickly grew on me. I enjoyed the light touches the hotel brings in the room, the vaulted ceilings, the bose docking station, and the sound proof door which works superbly.

The staff is wonderful which is the reason why I gave the hotel 5 stars, they surprised us with a bottle of champagne on night in our room and had the music set to classical which was a nice touch. (What's funny is neither of us drink but the thought was very cool).

My only complaint of the hotel is the the AC unit was very loud, but then again we never complained about it during our stay, so maybe it could have been fixed.

The wine and cheese hour is a very nice touch at this hotel which you won't get a any modern chains, overall our next visit to Puerto Rico I can't see us staying at any other hotel.

It's a great hotel with a great staff, which equates to an awesome stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Umar M
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed January 26, 2014

By far one of the prettiest and most romantic hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The hotel itself is covered in so much old word detail, you truly feel like you're stepping back in time. I enjoyed the rooftop area by having cocktails and watching the sunset. The hotel's wine reception is absolutely wonderful and worth being at the hotel for. The whole atmosphere and ambiance of the hotel is amazing. Next time I go to Puerto Rico, I will make sure to stay here again! I loved it!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CasaBlanca Hotel
#6 of 48 in San Juan
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!