El Convento is the place to be if you are looking to explore old town San Juan and find old world charm. The location is great. The staff is also by most interactions... was excellent. (Even though they appeared pulled in too many directions at times). The turn down service and free ice water was a nice surprise.
However, a couple of things a guest may want to know.
1. Air conditioning: be aware the entire complex has no A/C except your immediate room. That would be fine, but the A/C units in the two rooms I was in had trouble keeping up. The room never got cooler than 76, running all day and night. (No ceiling fans) Be ready to be perspiring in and out of your room.
2. Valet and signage: there was never a valet/porter on the front patio helping you with your luggage from the parking across the street, getting a cab, or in general. I had to call at least 3 times for directions driving into town (and drove around the block twice) and never saw where to valet the car until a local pointed me the parking lot. (I would have thought some one would be ever present in this critical welcoming area outside). Also, I think its safer when a representative of the hotel directs you to a taxi, rather than cab drivers hailing you.
Also Note: the only guest elevator was out our entire 5 day stay. We were fine, but I saw many guests and staff struggling with this. Signs went up on day 2, directing us to service elevators if we wanted. I would have thought this would be a emergency for the establishment.
Over all the visit was good and if you are looking to soak in Old San Juan you will be fine here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of historic Old San Juan, Hotel El Convento has set new standards of luxury, comfort and service while preserving the rich character of this former 16th century convent. This landmark treasure, a member of Historic Hotels of America and Small Luxury Hotels of the World, has earned four diamonds from AAA each year since its opening. This is the exclusive hotel experience to indulge the most discriminating of travelers, and is a hotel like no other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelClick, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel El Convento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Convento San Juan