“Everything Good”
Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Absolutely amazing gem of a hotel. The service was great, the location was central, it's unique, it's not too big, it's not too small, it's historic, in short- it's perfect. Oh and they will shuttle you up to the beach if you want to get out of "the city." I've stayed here twice and this my favorite hotel anywhere on earth. They have coffee, breakfast, and a little wine reception in the afternoon and I love the open air-courtyard and the coffee in the rooms too. Just a complete winner no matter what your travel situation is- business, pleasure, family, solo, somehow with the total uniqueness of this property it really does work for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IntlBYT

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay with Hotel El Convento. Located in the heart of Old San Juan amongst the colourful quaint streets and beautiful architecture.
The hotel was once a convent as the name implies, with the 4 floors of rooms surround a large central courtyard where the bar and restaurant are located on the ground floor. There is a huge wrap around verandah on every level with tables and seats outside the rooms overlooking the courtyard, lovely for breakfast or enjoying the complimentary wine and cheese in the evening. Throughout the hotel there are beautiful balconies, terraces and a lovely pool on the roof terrace. All have seating, plants and artwork. A hotel for couples with romantic spots throughout. We enjoyed lovely tapas in the 1st floor restaurant and mojitos in the courtyard bar.
Pros - simply beautiful, old, authentic, romantic, complimentary fruit and water along with wine & cheese hour every evening - very grown up. Fantastic location for enjoying Old San Juan. Friendly staff, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience of staying here.
Cons - air conditioning unit was noisy but totally necessary in our room (San Juan in June is hot). Honestly it was all in character with the age of the hotel, loved the authentic styling.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nzweekender
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a lovely hotel situated in Old San Juan. Our room on the second floor was lovely though a little dark. Enjoyed the small pool on roof. We did visit the othe hotel La Concha but it was a big modern hotel - nothing to compare to El Convento. Breakfast was great every morning and so was dinner in the main restaurant. The pizza place makes the best pizzas we have ever tasted. We used to smell the garlic from early afternoon!! Staff service was a bit mixed. We did email Efrain before our holiday but got no reply and were a bit disappointed that a special anniversary was not acknowledged. Anthony at breakfast and the young guy who showed you to your table (Matt maybe) were lovely. The location was great and we enjoyed wandering around the cobble streets in the evenings.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawn267
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Ms. Dwan265,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay as well as our food and service provided during breakfast and dinner at Patio del Níspero Restaurant. I was sad to learn that you emailed me and did not receive a reply. I receive emails from guest on a daily basis and I always try to answer them myself or in the case of information requests, I make sure that the right person addresses our guests’ requests. Please send me a copy of your original email so that I can track it down and find out how we could have missed your communication as I would regret this happening to someone else.

Once again that you for staying with us. Please feel free to contact me on your next visit so that I can personally meet and assist you with your room accommodations.

Best regards,

Efrain Rosa
erosa@elconvento.com

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We arrived after our cruise early and they immediately took our luggage to hold for us till we could check in at 3. The hotel is situated in a great location which is walkable pretty much everywhere. It could be a hike for some up the hilly street back to hotel but there is a free shuttle that runs the city all day. (Not in the evening) It takes you a couple of streets above the hotel but makes it an easy walk back to your room. The front desk was extremely helpful in booking excursions and recommending restaurants etc. The rooms are lovely and clean. The only thing I could say that is negative is that there is not enough room in the bathroom for toiletries. We had a couple of little issues (requesting wash clothes and TP) Very slow getting them but not the end of the world. The wine and cheese event at 6 pm on the 3rd floor everyday is wonderful!
We met so many amazing people from all over. They also supply hot coffee, tea, bottled water and fruit all day long on the 3rd floor with an amazing patio that overlooks the Cathedral. You can hear the music that the street vendors play as you sit there enjoying. The pool and jacuzzi on the 4th floor was very welcoming when returning from excursions. Very quaint and comfortable to relax in and around. The whole ambiance of this hotel is worth every penny. The only thing that I would also like to say is that the restaurants there are very pricey. (Drinks also) And for what you pay it is not worth it. My husband ordered a pizza which was way smaller than a dinner plate and it was $16. (Not even worth $5) Very average quality as well.
But do go and enjoy this fabulous hotel. We are anxious to go back!!!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and it was extremely quiet. Very dark room, and great air conditioning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gardengirl12
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I want to preface this review saying our stay in Hotel El Convento was very nice. The hotel staff was outstanding along with the entire layout of this establishment. The relaxing nature of this place was unbelievable along with artwork, the Jacuzzi and tiny pool. We thoroughly enjoyed conversing with other patrons during the 6 pm wine and cheese greets. The wine and cheese were first class but found some early guests were loading up their plates for whatever reason. The location was excellent and found the room to be very quiet and comfortable with great AC.
We were on the 2nd floor (complimentary coffee, water, tea on the 3rd floor...very convenient) as we were overlooking the restaurant bars downstairs. The bed was queen sized but a little bit too soft for my taste but slept great. The only issues I found were that there was very little space to place items especially in the bathroom. There was only one roll of toilet paper with no extras. We phoned the front desk but found housekeeping does not get in until 8am. So I went to the shared bathroom on the 2nd floor and came back with some rolled up. ( rolls of TP do not come off). I found out later the 3rd floor restroom has extra rolls of TP if you need to make sure you don't run out go there and store some in your room in a drawer or something.
We had a couple of issues with housekeeping which was bizarre. After the first day, the housekeeper took the face clothes and it was quite the episode to try to get them to give us the towels. It actually took 2 days for use to have a wash cloth. In a separate incident when we first arrived, my wife noticed blood on one of the pillow covers for one of the decorative pillows. That didn't bother me but it bothered her but it took another 2 days to get that replaced.
We found the hotel uses first class soap, shampoo, and other items and think very highly of this hotel. One last tip- Try to avoid eating or drinking in the hotel restaurants as prices are extremely high. We went down for a drink (one drink each) and were lighter by almost $20.

Room Tip: If you can choose a room the 2nd floor is a good choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank boonbear
Reviewed August 13, 2013

You will not be disappointed in this gorgeous historic hotel. It's a luxury hotel in a tiny scale, but it never feels tiny, only perfectly cozy. Junior suite offered a six or eight head shower, which we loved since we were coming straight off a seven day catamaran cruise. I'm not sure if that's standard for every room, but I'd bet that it is. The staff is very friendly and very efficient. The only complaints I have are that there is no in-room dessert menu, some fixtures (fan, lighted mirror) didn't function and there were no provided blankets in the room. I did request two blankets (only two thin sheets on the beds) and received them -- one twin size of the "holey" variety and one queen size down type which had coffee stains (daughter swore it was potty stain, lol). Other than those blips, it was perfect. DO be prepared to hop out quickly on the busy San Juan street when you arrive. No driveway. Breakfast downstairs was hit or miss... tea time upstairs was great. Didn't use the cute tiny rooftop pool, but pretty luxurious space. No turndown service and spotty cleaning service on the second day, but just island style more than anything.

I LOVED the cats roaming the hotel... so cute.

CANNOT beat this Old San Juan location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JNTx3
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear tripadvisor user,

Thank you for your high marks on your hotel review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff friendly and efficient. You made great observations regarding details that should have been in place. I am sorry that you experienced difficuties. We always listen to our guest suggestions and act accordingly in order to improve our guest experience. We will be working on these areas as I look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Once again thank you for your trust and confidence. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Efrain Rosa
General manager
erosa@elconvento.com

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Spanish decor with pretty courtyard inside. Beds and a/c were great. Pool was fine albeit tiny. Location convenient. Prices reasonable. Breakfast was very good, plus good female server.
Several cats coming and going in the area. Happy hour was great-nice wine and cheese for free!
Got to meet some other guests. Third floor was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple