You really can't get a better hotel in Old San Juan. The location is incredible and the highlights are never-ending.
1. Exceptional property - it's simply beautiful and the rooms, restaurants, common areas are wonderful. They have kept the old-world charm while adding modern conveniences like sound-proof doors and windows. This makes for a PEACEFUL night's sleep.
2. The location - Nestled on a little square in the heart of Old San Juan, there are dozens of places to shop and eat within a 10 or 15 minute walk. The closer you get to the pier, the more restaurants and shops stay open later in the evening.
3. The hotel itself - I have hardly experienced a staff who is more helpful and courteous. They had a lot of patience with my Spanish :) The staff (especially Valeria and Annette) was always prepared and willing to recommend a restaurant or activity. The wine reception for guests was top notch. No boxed wine or bad cheese - it was a first class way to end the day. The courtyard is beautiful, too. It's like staying in a museum where each room tells a story!
Our experience in general:
1. We walked.... a LOT. Being in the old city center there is ample opportunity to walk just about everywhere. We rented a car for other reasons, but one is not needed if you plan to stay mostly within OSJ. We actually took a stroll to the nearest public beach (Tercer Milenios) which was over 2 miles away! It was a haul, to say the least.
2. Eat breakfast at La Cafeteria Mallorca! Off of La Calle San Francisco, this awesome diner serves fantastic breakfast for a bargain, too. We ate there nearly every morning of our 5-day trip.
3. Take advantage of their sister property "La Concha" - Located in Condado (a quick 10 minute drive or so from OSJ), this hotel is exceptional. With a letter from El Convento, they invite you in to take advantage of all their amenities including their private beach and pools. It was gorgeous and the food their is delicious.
I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Old San Juan. Just keep in mind, this is not a beach-front property! If you have realistic expectations for what Old San Juan is, there is no better place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of historic Old San Juan, Hotel El Convento has set new standards of luxury, comfort and service while preserving the rich character of this former 16th century convent. This landmark treasure, a member of Historic Hotels of America and Small Luxury Hotels of the World, has earned four diamonds from AAA each year since its opening. This is the exclusive hotel experience to indulge the most discriminating of travelers, and is a hotel like no other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TravelUp, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel El Convento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Convento San Juan