“Maybe not for everyone but just right for us”
Review of Hotel El Convento

Hotel El Convento
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Loved our stay celebrating our 30 wedding anniversary! Loved chatting with other guest at the nightly wine and cheese receptions. Good wines, cheeses and grapes. Complimentey Coffee, tea and bottled water available round the clock. Nice quiet rooms. No noise or light when drapes are closed. Queen size beds are a little smaller than American queen. Nice towels and bedding.
We were pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of champagne in our room after returning from dinner. Thank you!
We enjoyed the rooftop and dipped in both the pool and hot tub.
After the wine and cheese we really weren't so hungry but we did have pizza in the hotel restuant and it was thin and tasty.
We walked all over old San Juan and really enjoyed it. Lots to see and do. Plenty of dinning choices.
Some people may prefer the sister hotel ( La Concha ) if you want a beach. We live at the beach so we enjoyed the old city. We never used the car once in four days. All the staff were great. Looking forward to a return visit in the very near future. Best location in old San Juan!

• Stayed: October 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (2,785)

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at El Convento, but I may have gone in with higher expectations of the hotel based on the Trip Advisor reviews. I spent 7 nights at El Convento on my honeymoon.
Features I liked: Unique building, good location, loved the wine and cheese reception (it was a nice alternative to a complimentary breakfast), Aveeda bath products, access to computers, free wi-fi, the plunge pool and hot tub, complimentary bottled water, mini fridge, turn down service ... It was also nice that our room had a "sound proofing" door within which seemed to buffer out construction noise going on in the courtyard.
Not as expected: Since El Convento was labeled a Luxury Boutique Hotel I expected more comfortable beds. I thought the bathroom would be a little nicer (not necessarily larger) but have a more luxurious feel. I thought we would get more information on things to do in the area. The few times I asked, I was handed a brochure and given little detail. Maybe the desk staff was overwhelmed with work, but everyone seemed rushed when I approached the desk with questions.
Also since it was our honeymoon, I think I went in assuming El Convento would have done something extra special for us. We were guests for 7 nights. We did not get a room upgrade, a bottle of champagne or recognition of our recent marriage. None were needed, but any recognition would have been nice.
I emailed El Convento prior to the trip with a few questions and never received a response.
Overall, my stay was enjoyable, but I did not love El Convento enough to make a return visit.

3  Thank JESTRVLS
EROSA, General Manager at Hotel El Convento, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor user,

Congratulations on your wedding vows and thank you choosing Hotel El Convento for your stay in Puerto Rico. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and for your positive reviews of our hotel facilities and amenities.

I sincerely appreciate your positive feedback on areas of improvement. We take every guest comment very seriously and always make improvements based on our guests suggestions. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to Puerto Rico and I will personally assist you with your accommodations and/or other requests.

Efrain Rosa
erosa@elconvento.com

Reviewed October 30, 2011

On our fourth trip to San Juan, we finally managed to stay here. On the romance package, our room had a nice view of the bay and we were treated with a bottle of bubbles. The staff was extremely helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed the wine and cheese hour, along with the sun deck (ironically, mostly in the evenings). While the room was not large, it was well maintained, had free wireless, and a window that opened. And, the location is superb with all the sights of Old San Juan within walking distance and shopping across the street. We also spent a day at the beach with on of the hotel's partners.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend at the El Convento. We loved the hotel and Old San Juan. We spent the bulk of our time walking around Old San Juan and visiting the 2 forts (El Morro and San Cristobal). El Convento is truly charming and our room was lovely. Yes, it's an old building but that's part of the charm. The staff was really nice and the food was delicious (we had breakfast and lunch there). The rooftop pool is small but the setting is lovely and serene. The taxi cost to and from the airport is about $20 (tip not included), There's free wi-fi at the hotel. My husband who has an AT&T iPhone had no problems connecting. I, on the other hand, have a Verizon iPhone and the connection was not always great. It was a great weekend and we'd go back in a heartbeat.

1  Thank MrsTraveler
Reviewed October 27, 2011

One of my favorite things to do for a long weekend or so is to stay at Hotel El Convento, hang out on the sun deck with a Medalla beer and cigar hand-rolled by the guy down the street.

El Convento is a converted convent that is beautifully restored and maintained.
Staying there gives you access to some of Puerto Rico's best restaurants for local food and the bars on premises are as much as you could ask for.

The reception area, courtyard and banquet room are stunning and private. The rooftop pool is small but welcoming in the hot afternoon sun.

Service is subtle and unassuming. The restaurant could use a bit more staff but is made up for by the self-service honor bar and nightly open-bar Manager's Reception, which is not to be missed.

My wife and I have been staying here at least once every year since 2002 and look forward to it still.
We've stayed in lots of other hotels like the Intercontinental, La Concha, ESJ Tower, Hilton Ponce, Fajardo Inn, Rincon Beach Resort, to name a few.
While there is nothing wrong with the others, Hotel El Convento is the most unique of them all with a personality all its own.

It's a cab ride to the beach from the hotel, so if that bothers you stay at La Concha instead.

The best of both worlds is that since La Concha and El Convento are sister hotels, you can stay at EC and use the beach and facilities at LC.

Look into it. It's a great deal.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L_Americano
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Staying at the El Convento in Old San Juan is a real treat. The hotel is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are great as well as is the service from the entire staff. The evening managers cheese and wine get togethers are a great way to meet other travelers who appreciate a good thing. From the minute you arrive until you leave the experience is just too good for words. As for convenience it is close to all the action in Old San Juan.

Treat yourself, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2011

A clean room, well air conditioned, in the heart of Old San Juan. Can walk through the entire old city from here. We had a great stay, and I would stay here again when I return to San Juan.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple