“Nice for the price”
Review of CasaBlanca Hotel

CasaBlanca Hotel
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the Casablanca Hotel, located in Old San Juan. We arrived late at night and were warmly greeted. Our room was on the third floor of the hotel, which normally would have been okay, but there was no elevator. Being as tired as we were, it was a hard climb with heavy luggage. The room was small but nice, and clean. Previous reviews listed complaints about noise from the street. I have to say, it was very quiet in our room, on a Saturday night. We slept really well. Everything in the room was well-appointed. The next morning, we were able to get good suggestions for places to eat in the area, since the hotel is in a good area of the old city. Now I have to say that I am disappointed that I didn't realize that the hotel restaurant was a hidden gem, so we didn't eat there (since we had a cruise to board).

I consider this hotel to be quite the find. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because of no elevator. Had I been a little younger and agile, I would have given it a 5.

Room Tip: Call and speak to someone about your choice of rooms, and look at the availability online before mak...
There are newer reviews for CasaBlanca Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a funky little boutique hotel in Old San Juan. The location was good, pretty much in the middle of everything, and the staff was friendly and helpful. No one was ever at the front desk that appeared unwilling to help. This was a quick weekend trip, over a holiday, so pickings were kind of slim on available rooms. Also, due to the weekend, prices were high in some of the other hotels. I think the price on the room we occupied (4A) was good and I liked the balcony, allowing an overlook of the adjacent street. Breakfast was available, but we choose to eat out each morning. The room was clean.

Don't forget to check out the roof, which has a great view of Old San Juan.

Downsides : The hotel has no elevator, and everyone is very well warned of this factor. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with ambulatory issues or a heart issue!! Our room was very small and lacked a closet, however, we were able to get by. Just be sure to ask the exact amenities in the room you choose because they appear to differ in various rooms. There was not a safe in our room, but we never had any problems with anything missing, though I did keep all my cash on me whenever leaving the room. Another issue is noise at night, if you are a light sleeper. There are apparently several bars in close proximity and there were bursts of noise periodically until everything settled down around 3 a.m. or so. This may not be a problem if you're not on the roadside. However, I was fine to deal with the noise in exchange for the view from our room. Noise also carries well in the hotel and we could hear the conversations in the adjacent room.

All that being said, I would stay there again. It's not the Ritz Carleton, and I think the rates are okay for what you are getting.

Room Tip: I found the website a little confusing on room amenities and called the hotel. They were very helpf...
1  Thank LimaBravoWhiskey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

So, sure I can tell you the room was clean, towels were fresh, the bed was fine. But, what makes this hotel stand out is their rooftop. There is no elevator, so you have to get up there the old fashioned way, one step at a time. But, when you do, you will be happy you did. Wear your bathing suit and bring a towel because they have stone bathtubs big enough for you and your sweetie. Apparently not many people want to climb the stair, so we had the rooftop to ourselves. But, we enjoyed every moment of it. We brought up a bucket of beers, filled the tub, got in and soaked under the stars. Perfect end to a great day in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: There is no elevator. Keep this in mind when you book your room. Also, the street is noisy. Didn'...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I took a cruise out of San Juan and decided to spend a few days after that in San Juan. Our main concern was whether or not we should stay in Old San Juan or Condado/Isla Verde area. We eventually decided to go with OSJ and that is when we came across Casablanca. It looked romantic with lots of character and a central location... even walking distance from the cruise ship.
Our room was not quite ready by the time we arrived (before noon) but the lady working at the front desk was very sweet and directed us to the lobby washrooms to freshen up and then she stored our luggage while we went and had lunch. When we got back our room was ready and there was someone to carry our heavy bags up the 3 flights of stairs! Thank goodness! Our room was a bit small (to be expected in most boutique hotels) but very tastefully decorated and comfy! The next day we were upgraded for the remainder of our stay to a bit bigger room with a patio that faced out towards the main street which was very nice! They even surprised us with a lovely box of chocolates and a congrats/happy honeymoon card... nice touch!
A few extra bonuses: free wifi in the lobby... super cozy lobby with lots of unique places to sit and enjoy your morning coffee. There is also a rooftop patio that has a great view of the city. All of the staff were super helpful and friendly.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is laid back and doesn't mind experiencing something different than a regular cookie-cutter type hotel. It is beautiful, funky and in an amazing location. You can walk anywhere in Old San Juan and the bus depot is 2 blocks away where you can easliy hop on the bus to go to the beach, etc.
*If you stay here you MUST eat at Marmalade across the street. It was a real highlight of our trip!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This little boutique hotel with an exotic flair is situated perfectly on a narrow side street in Old San Juan. Everything is walkable. You'd better be capable of walking too, because there are no elevators in the hotel which rises several stories. The front desk was exquisitely helpful and let my travel companion and I select from a few vacant rooms. We climbed to the roof and enjoyed the oversized bathtubs both at night and during the day. No one else was around and it felt like our own private San Juan roof oasis. On our last day, we checked out, but decided to explore the city before we had to go to the airport. The hotel let us store our baggage, and they even let us cool down and rinse off in the rooftop baths- and this was all after we'd checked out. My only issue was that I was pretty allergic to something (who knows what?) at the hotel. We'd stayed in some other locations during the trip and my allergies slapped me upside the head the moment we got to this hotel. A quick walk to the Walgreens down the way helped.

Room Tip: If it's possible, ask to see a few rooms that fall into the same pricing scheme. They're al...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel as our final honeymoon destination and we loved it. When we walked in they had old music from the 20's and 30's playing that brought you close to old movies. On the back wall they had Casablanca playing through out the day and also on a few tv's in the front lobby. The rooms were very nice with tall ceilings, and the beds were dressed with nice bedding and decorative pillows. It was perfect for us and a nice way to end our honeymoon; we will definitely be back. I recommend this hotel to anyone, but it depends on what you might be looking for, some people like simple and romantic, and some like their embassy suites and casinos. Also, all the cool stuff you want to see is within walking distance, or you can walk 200 feet to the plaza and catch the tram for free.

Room Tip: choose a room on the lower floors, because there is no elevator.
2  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is perfect for visiting Old San Juan! It seems to be in the middle of anything and everything you would want to do there. The rooms and decor are unique, the service was extraordinary, the food was wonderful and reasonably priced and the staff was very accomodating. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The rooms in front of the hotel on the street side are a little noisy. Ours was near the middle of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Joyce O, Manager at CasaBlanca Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Kelly,

Thank you so much for your valuable review! We hope you can take another trip back to the Island and we will be thrilled to have you stay with us again. In the near future we will be adding a number or services and activities that will enhance your experience in Puerto Rico! Please feel free to contact us anytime! Visit our FB page for pictures!!