We arrived at the Sheraton on Valentine's Day almost three hours after check in time and were originally told that our room wasn't ready and it would be another hour... but then, while we were doing a pre-check-in, the room showed as available, so what could have been a big deal, turned out not to be.
The facility of the hotel is beautiful. Very well done and open. Very clean.
The front desk staff was nice, not over friendly, but nice enough. The staff outside was super friendly and helpful, and got cabs for us immediately when we needed them. We were given two good restaurant suggestions before we went into Old San Juan.
Our room was large and the design is great. Beautiful bed and chair in the room. The Bliss bath products were a plus for me who adores Bliss.
Samuel, the bartender in the main lobby lounge was fantastic! He made great drinks, was super friendly, and we had a lovely conversation with him about different local foods and things to do. Valentine's night, there was also a very talented singer performing, and we really enjoyed listening to her.
Those are the good things; here are the bad:
The dream bed... it not a dream. It felt like a basic, hotel grade mattress. Nothing special at all.
But the BIGGEST problem with the room is that there are only sheers over the majority of the window space- which means that you are woken up with the sun blazing into your room the second the sun is up. That is NOT good.... and reason enough that I would never stay here again.
The location of the hotel isn't great. It's between the beach areas and Old San Juan... which means you can't walk to anything and whether you go to the beach or to OSJ, you're going to pay $30 round trip cab fare.
We spent the day roaming around El Morro and Old San Juan and were tired enough that we decided to just head back to the hotel to have dinner... big mistake. The Choices restaurant on site was having a Valentine's deal, and I think you could order off the regular menu as well... but either way, we weren't interested. The menu was small and uninteresting. And had nothing on there that was any type of Puerto Rican food- disappointing. The food in the lounge was more a tapas type menu, and not really what we were looking for either. We were looking for a nice gourmet style Puerto Rican meal or seafood of some type, but after asking the front desk for suggestions close by and getting none, we gave up and ended up ordering delivery pizza b/c by that point we were just tired and hungry... we saw the delivery guy in the lobby about 6 or 7 times while we were waiting on ours to arrive, so obviously, more than just us had the same issue.
For breakfast the next morning, we were hoping to be able to order food and eat outside by the pool (which was beautiful), but the pool side cafe wasn't opened (it closed early the night before as well... and the pool closed at 8- super early in my opinion) We ended up eating the Choices breakfast buffet for $19 each... it was your typical overpriced hotel buffet. Not bad at all, but not worth $40 for the two of us either.
Check out was painless. They do put a $100 hold on your card for things like, breakfast and the bar, etc, and that’s fine, but the employee who checked me in would not have told me this except that I asked him why he needed to run my card when I had pre-paid for the stay. I don’t have a problem with them putting a hold on my account… but I do have a problem with them not telling me this up front.
So overall, it was just kind of a blah experience. We could have stayed somewhere else for much cheaper… and not had to spend $100 in cab fares… and it would have been really, really nice to be able to sleep in on a getaway weekend and not be woken up with the sun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Identified as San Juan's modern urban resort, Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino is located just minutes away from historic Old San Juan, cruise terminals, easy access to business district and 12 minutes from the international airport. Our hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico features a comfortable and contemporary design, lavish 57,000 sq. ft. sun deck with infinity pool overlooking the Bay of San Juan, rejuvenating spa, the largest casino on the island, a variety of restaurants and gathering spots, all for a premier place for you to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel And Casino
- Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel San Juan