“Very relaxing”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
St. Charles
“Very relaxing”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Puerto Rico hotel and casino February 2-7 and it was just what I needed. The location is centrally located, a five minute bus ride will get you to Condado were the beaches are and an 8 minute bus ride will get you to Old San Juan, with plenty of shopping and historical sights. The reason I didn't give the hotel an excellent rating is because of the food. All of the food I had on the property was average, I thought because the hotel wasn't really close to any restaurants they would pay closer attention to the menu, but in my opinion that didn't happen. On the 4th floor, there is an outstanding pool with plenty of chairs and great sun exposure. The sun rises around 7:30 so to take full advantage get out there early, because you lose the sun early as well. If this matters to you, I rented a car and didn't use it at all. The navigation on my android phone didn't give clear directions, therefore I found myself lost several times. Everyone was very friendly and helpful getting me to my destination, but it was frustrating enough for me to park my rental car for the 6 days and catch the bus. Parking is plentiful on the street, so if you do rent a car don't pay for parking. There is a reward program in this hotel, if you choose not have your room cleaned the will give you a $5.00 credit daily to use in the hotel, I didn't realize that upon check in, so when I returned to my room it had not been serviced and needles to say, I was quite disappointed, so make sure you let them know if you want to participate in their green program. Also there is NO refrigerator in the rooms Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a total of two nights around the Christmas holidays, one night before our cruise and one night after. It's a well-kept property, lots of offerings on site for dining and while we were there they had several special events planned. It is a convention center hotel which keeps the lobby and public areas busy but the staff did well to manage all the people. Even on a Saturday when there were hundreds of cruise passengers checking luggage, they did a nice job taking care of everyone. The rooms are in good shape, attractive and nice amenities. The pool area is a great place to take in views of the city and just relax a bit. Would highly recommend for a quick stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SouthernTucker
MariaI-ExecAssistant, Management Representative at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear SouthernTucker,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is a pleasure to know that you were able to enjoy our hotel amenities. Your experience shows that we were able to connect with you in every way. We hope you are able to return for a longer stay.

Best regards!
Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights before boarding our cruiseship at Pier 4 in Old San Juan. It was a very enjoyable stay.

The checkin service was prompt, friendly and accommodating. Our room was located on the 11th floor and had a great view. We had also booked a Club floor room, which included a continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres daily. We enjoyed having this. We did not eat at the in-house restaurant but we did order room service. The bbq wings are delicious.

The amenities included free WiFi which I needed, having to keep in touch with my children at home. We also used and enjoyed the hot tub.

Every day, we went sightseeing in Old San Juan. Admittedly, this beautiful hotel, which is next door to the convention centre, is a bit isolated from other facilities, but we worked around this.

Instead of taking a taxi every day to and from Old San Juan, we took the bus - #53 or #21 - since the bus stop is located right in front of the hotel, and it takes you directly to Old San Juan. It also drops you back, on the return journey, at the same stop. It was a fascinating and adventurous experience for us. The bus only cost .75 per person and you must have exact change. The bus is modern and air-conditioned.

This reduced our transportation costs and left more money to spend on other items. Old San Juan is a UNESCO site and I am very much into history, so this was a wonderful stay for us!

Thank you to the staff at Sheraton for the good service.

Room Tip: For me, the higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank calmwarmseas
Marengo il
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We wanted to stay in old San Juan after our cruise. After calling prior to our trip to confirm we were booked at the correct Sheridan we were assured it was in old San Juan. Wrong! It costs money to travel away from the tourist area to the convention area. There everything is so overpriced it is unbelievable. $40.00 for a basic breakfast buffet for two. $4.50 for coffee. We were promised late check out when we arrived but the letter under our door this morning changed that. A beautiful hotel, great pool area. Great rooms. Just over priced for anything other than your room.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Don H
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Saludos Don H! Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear that the general experience during your stay was a pleasant one. Our sister property, Sheraton Old San Juan is only located about 8 minutes away from us but we are both located in San Juan. Regarding the late check out, this can vary in a number of ways and sometimes, the bill under the door might state a general rule for most of our guests staying at similar room types. By dialing "0" or visiting our Front Desk staff, we would have been more than glad to help you with your late check out request. I hope this does not keep you from visiting us again and we can have the privilege to welcome you back. Regards.
Oklahoma City, OK
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino Feb 2-7, 2014. I booked through Priceline because of the star level and price without knowing where I was going to end up. I'm glad I did, but I'll stay in another location next time if I'm on another personal vacation. This hotel is very nice, especially for business travelers working at the convention center across the street. However, I was on a personal vacation, and I had to walk a while to a beach or take a taxi to Old San Juan each day, which added up.

During our stay, my date and I felt like we had the hotel and beaches pretty much to ourselves. There was a big Superbowl party when we arrived Sunday night and a large crowd started checking in Friday morning, but during the week, it was nice and quiet.

Pros: The food in the restaurants was great. Gabriel was an excellent waiter at Choices. Victor was an excellent bartender at the casino bar. Room service and housekeeping was nice. I don't mind walking 10-20 minutes to the beach, but someone with kids or people that don't like to walk a lot would not like to walk to the nearest beach (just west of the Condado Plaza Hilton on the Laguna del Condado http://youtu.be/B5WS8csFA08). Plenty of free parking on the street nearby for a rental car, but get the full coverage just in case of theft. The Mexican restaurant across the street is great!

Cons: $15 taxi to Old San Juan. $18 taxi to airport, plus $1 each bag. That adds up. My new iPhone 5S couldn't find a wifi network in the room (834), but it came in strong in the lobby and at the pool. There was also a delayed texting in the hotel. Sheets felt stiff, but not unbearable.

Room Tip: I stayed right across from the elevator and it wasn't too bad, but if you want peace and quiet...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oktravelguy
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We recently took a southern Caribbean cruise and arrived in San Juan the day before the cruise. We stayed at the Sheraton Puerto Rico. Tired from traveling, we chose to eat dinner at Choices, the restaurant located in the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino. Service was okay. The prices of the food/drink were exorbitant for what we received. It cost each couple $100. All we got was a glass of wine or beer and an entrée. Portions were small to say the least. Sheraton can do better!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diane A
DominiqueHaacke, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Diane A,

Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that your experience at our restaurant was not to your satisfaction. Please know we have shared your comments with our culinary team so that we can review our offerings to our guests.

We hope that you will still consider us in the future.
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I arrived on Wednesday afternoon (Feb 5th and left Friday Feb 7) The room was lovely and we did have a great view. Our problem was we were there for two nights and we had to have our room keys encoded at least 10 times. We would get into the elevator and it wouldn't work so then we would have to go stand in a line up in order to get in recoded. It was so very annoying. Finally after the the 9th time or so my husband asked to see a manager. She took her time coming to see us and when she came she was very apologetic and gave us club access for that night and next morning, we went to the club after 6 and guess what the key wouldn't work!!!!! So the gesture was great but we still couldn't take advantage. Normally we stay at the Hilton and it's been great but thought we'd try the Sheraton and because of the fiasco with the inconvenience of our room keys we probably won't go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Barbara R
Laura R, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 12, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, we are truly sorry to learn about the inconveniences caused during your stay. The matter has been corrected and we hope you consider our facilities for your future stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!