“Best trip ever”

Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Arlington, Virginia
“Best trip ever”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I agree on the previous reviews that hotel isn't near restaurants or landmarks. However, there is a bus stop in front of the hotel that takes you to old San Juan (within 10 mins), Isla Verde or Condado for 50 cents. In the end, we stayed somewhere nice and quiet for a good price. Saved on transportation costs (thank you bus). Condado is a 10-15 mins walk with a ton of restaurants and shops. The walk on the bridge at night was nice. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

When we arrived we did not like our initial room, they ended up upgrading us to a club room. We enjoyed free breakfeast, coffee/drinks and dinner during our stay. The city views from the club floor was very nice. The pool was awesome. Best deal in the area for value and price. Thank you Sheraton for making PR a special place for us.

Room Tip: Away from elevators, above 9 floor and club room if possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cman g
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hello cman g! Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are very happy to learn that you were able to explore the areas around the hotel and discover that we are only minutes away from the most popular areas in San Juan. For our VIP guests like you, the Club Lounge is a place were you can relax and treat yourself with a healthy breakfast or enjoy some snacks during the evening. We are very glad that you liked your Club Room and we will be expecting you if your travels bring you to Puerto Rico again. See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Turkish first
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night, prior to our cruise departure from Pan American Pier on 9/13/13. The hotel is very close and convenient to the pier. We are a SPG member, not sure if that mattered or not. We stayed in a standard King size room. The room was very clean; including bedding. The rug shown a bit of wear, but still clean. The bathroom was also very clean. If you're looking for a hotel that's in close walking distance to downtown, shopping or restaurants, this is not the place. There is only 1 bar/restaurant across the street - Mexican style I believe, and a Brazilian style steak house. The hotel does have a restaurant, bar and casino on site. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. The food was good. The restaurant staff very friendly, and took the time to explain the different types of food on the menu. I was kind of surprised that the hotel didn't have a coffee station available to their guests. Coffee was available in an express cafe- 2 cups of coffee for $5.00 USD. expensive!! The hotel valet service was quick to get us a cab to the cruise pier the morning of our departure, explaining a set rate for the taxi, and luggage. I would recommend this hotel for a quick in/out pre/post cruise, but not if you're looking to stay longer and experience the city. You'd pay too much for taxi service.

Room Tip: Close to Pan AmericanPier forRoyal Caribbean cruise line.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank golfergirl6269
DominiqueHaacke, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
golfergirl6269,

Thank you for your note on your recent stay with us. As you had mentioned in your comments, we are very close to the Panamerican pier which is ideal for those who are heading out on a cruise. However, we are also steps away from the Convention Center, 5 minutes from beautiful Old San Juan, and just 10 minutes from the downtown business district and largest mall in the Caribbean (Plaza Las Americas).

We hope that you will return to stay with us in the future and thank you once again for your comments on our hotel.
Indio, California
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Close to Royal Carribean cruise line. Casino and good Restaraunts on site....quiet and clean rooms. The weekend gets noisy with the younger crowd coming in for the bar scene/dancing. Right next to Convention Center....and within a long walking distance of the cruise ship...

Room Tip: Away from elevators if you are there on a weekend.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HWH529
Hello HWH529,

Thank you for your short note on your experience at our hotel.

I am happy to hear you were satisfied with the location of our hotel. We are in fact the top choice for many Royal Caribbean cruisers as well as many other travelers who are looking to stay in the middle of all of the cities points of interest.

We hope to see you again in the future and wish you happy travels!
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here for New Years of 2012- The hotel was decent but the location is not the best...
If it is your first time visiting I would recommend staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan its the city center we spent about $70.00 a day for taxi service due to the location. The pool is very nice and relaxing and the food by the pool was very good too...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara M
Sara M,

Thank you for your feedback! We hope that you enjoyed your stay and that all of our services were to your satisfaction.

I hope that the trasnportation fees did not cause any inconveneince to your during yur stay. It is required to use a vehicle to some of the nearby points of interest, however we do have public transportation available just a block from the hotel which can easily take you anywhere in the metro area including Old San Juan for just $.75 each way.

We hope you come back to visit us, and if you do, feel free to ask our staff how to get around and we will gladly share our transportation options with you.

Hope to see you soon!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Amber your Guest Services agent was very accommodating and was really on the ball when we asked her about what is the best place for food, where the Locals hang out and shopping. Amber did everything but drive us personally around. The food was exceptional on the property so Kudos to the chef and your servers in the restaurant.

On Friday evening I went out to the pool area and noticed that there were wine bottles, and wine glasses. The associates or management staff did see this when they came to check on who was in the pool but didn't remove this potential hazard. About 20 minutes later another guest came out and accidentally knocked over the glasses and it flew into the hot tub where I was relaxing. I got out to report it and to report the hot tub jets not operating properly. The supervisor of maintenance came out and asked where the jets working and I said no, he then proceeded to look at his watch, roll his eyes and sigh loudly like this was an inconvenience. About an hour later management came in and said that we had to leave since it was 11pm, they cleaned up the glass (haphazardly) and was never given an explanation as to when the hot tub would be fixed.

On Saturday night there were a bunch of people only to be told to be careful because there was some sharp objects in the hot tub. Knowing that this was reported the night before I thought surely it would have been drained, vacuumed and refilled or closed off to the public. A young lady got out of the hot tub and I saw glass in her hand and she placed it on the table beside where I was sitting (not a good sign). Please keep in mind if someone did cut themselves and any drop of blood that would have fallen in the water could be a bio hazard and I know OSHA wouldn't not be happy especially if it was or will ever be reported seeing that nobody cared that there was shards of glass in the hot tub. That evening I did report it again and they said yes we will take care of it. They should have then told people to get out of the tub but instead they were too busy helping another guest retrieve something that was dropped over the side of the wall.

I did stay at your property on an associate rate, I am a corporate trainer for the below company for 42+ hotels in 9 states, although your property is not one of the hotels in our portfolio I do look at service scores all day long and tripadvisor for areas of opportunity for these brands Hilton, Marriott, Carlson, Intercontinental, IHG and Starwood. I wanted to bring this to your attention and I hope that this is something that you will take seriously before someone gets seriously injured. If there are no glass bottles allowed in your swimming area and you have staff that is checking in on that area they need to make sure these potential hazards are removed. If there are engineers that knowingly are aware that something is broken then the guests need to be aware, If you have your housekeeping tag that says due not disturbed on your door at 9am then someone shouldn't be knocking on the door asking if you need service. When service is done on your room then cups, lids, coffee, and towels ( no face clothes were ever left only hand towels, and bath towels) need to be left rather than me calling down to the front desk for these items and they shouldn't be waiting for a tip on something that was forgotten.

I plan on coming back to your area because of Amber she was the shining star at your property, she is caring, genuine, knows her job and is always smiling when you see her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bjblunt36
bjblunt36,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Please know that I have shared your concerns with our Director of Engineering and the Director of Housekeeping. Any sharp objects found in our pool are taken very seriously and when necessarry we take our pool out of service to ensure the safety of our guests.

Rest assured your comments will be shared with our staff to raise awareness of this important matter.

We hope that any opportunities you encountered did not affect your confidence in our brand and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,
orlando
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was a last minute trip and reservation. I wanted a place to relax and rest, the Sheraton, San Juan, provided this.
Although its location is removed from the liveliness of San Juan it was perfect for me. I believe it's geared more toward a business clientele. I found that I enjoyed the amenities which were in a serene ambiance. The pool and the hot tub were great, always with just a few people. There weren't any children running around splashing. Towels, cold lemon water were always available. The pool bar was also convenient.
I had dinner at Choices, the hotel restaurant, several times and was never disappointed. The churrasco was perfectly made, medium, the topping was delicious. The price was about $35. A little on the high side but I was pleased with the service, the taste and presentation. On another occasion I had a salad, greens with walnuts, feta, and chicken. The chicken was moist and well flavored, the mango vinaigrette dressing was excellent. Overall I was pleased with the hotel, the service and the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dalila95
We are so happy to hear that you were able to relax during your stay with us. Our infinity pool overlooking the San Juan Bay is a great way to unwind and relax for the day.

Our staff at Choices will be thrilled to know you enjoyed your meals. Our Executive Chef takes a lot of pride in designing each plate to ensure the culinary satisfaction of each guest.

We thank you so much for your feedback and hope to see you soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The location is a bit off if your plan is to wake up & roll onto the beach, it is walking distance though in Condado. Or if your intention is to have a romantic escape, also wouldn't think it the most kid friendly pool in PR. It's rather small. The pool bar is open bankers hours during the week.
As an admin assistant I highly recommend this for conference booking though, great rooms for meetings and you can relax in the infinity pool after.
If your plan is to have mostly business & some tan & Sun this is perfect. The rooms are very clean, staff is friendly.
I wouldn't eat in the in house restaurant though (or maybe ordering fish on a Sunday) wasn't the best idea. I was ill for most of Monday even had to.ask for a late checkout. Which is about $10 per hour after noon.
We booked this same day thru P line

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sasha g
Sasha G,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel.

You are certainly right about our hotel being ideal for travelers going on a cruise or for business guests when visiting the Convention Center next door to us. We are ideally located in the heart of the Convention Center overlooking the bay of San Juan. In my opinion one of the most spectacular views on the island.

I am sorry to hear about the illness incident and hope that it didn't ruin any plans or your vacation.

Hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!