“Nice Pool-Decent Food-Location Not so good”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Rockville, Maryland
“Nice Pool-Decent Food-Location Not so good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here for New Years of 2012- The hotel was decent but the location is not the best...
If it is your first time visiting I would recommend staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan its the city center we spent about $70.00 a day for taxi service due to the location. The pool is very nice and relaxing and the food by the pool was very good too...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara M
DominiqueHaacke, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Sara M,

Thank you for your feedback! We hope that you enjoyed your stay and that all of our services were to your satisfaction.

I hope that the trasnportation fees did not cause any inconveneince to your during yur stay. It is required to use a vehicle to some of the nearby points of interest, however we do have public transportation available just a block from the hotel which can easily take you anywhere in the metro area including Old San Juan for just $.75 each way.

We hope you come back to visit us, and if you do, feel free to ask our staff how to get around and we will gladly share our transportation options with you.

Hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Amber your Guest Services agent was very accommodating and was really on the ball when we asked her about what is the best place for food, where the Locals hang out and shopping. Amber did everything but drive us personally around. The food was exceptional on the property so Kudos to the chef and your servers in the restaurant.

On Friday evening I went out to the pool area and noticed that there were wine bottles, and wine glasses. The associates or management staff did see this when they came to check on who was in the pool but didn't remove this potential hazard. About 20 minutes later another guest came out and accidentally knocked over the glasses and it flew into the hot tub where I was relaxing. I got out to report it and to report the hot tub jets not operating properly. The supervisor of maintenance came out and asked where the jets working and I said no, he then proceeded to look at his watch, roll his eyes and sigh loudly like this was an inconvenience. About an hour later management came in and said that we had to leave since it was 11pm, they cleaned up the glass (haphazardly) and was never given an explanation as to when the hot tub would be fixed.

On Saturday night there were a bunch of people only to be told to be careful because there was some sharp objects in the hot tub. Knowing that this was reported the night before I thought surely it would have been drained, vacuumed and refilled or closed off to the public. A young lady got out of the hot tub and I saw glass in her hand and she placed it on the table beside where I was sitting (not a good sign). Please keep in mind if someone did cut themselves and any drop of blood that would have fallen in the water could be a bio hazard and I know OSHA wouldn't not be happy especially if it was or will ever be reported seeing that nobody cared that there was shards of glass in the hot tub. That evening I did report it again and they said yes we will take care of it. They should have then told people to get out of the tub but instead they were too busy helping another guest retrieve something that was dropped over the side of the wall.

I did stay at your property on an associate rate, I am a corporate trainer for the below company for 42+ hotels in 9 states, although your property is not one of the hotels in our portfolio I do look at service scores all day long and tripadvisor for areas of opportunity for these brands Hilton, Marriott, Carlson, Intercontinental, IHG and Starwood. I wanted to bring this to your attention and I hope that this is something that you will take seriously before someone gets seriously injured. If there are no glass bottles allowed in your swimming area and you have staff that is checking in on that area they need to make sure these potential hazards are removed. If there are engineers that knowingly are aware that something is broken then the guests need to be aware, If you have your housekeeping tag that says due not disturbed on your door at 9am then someone shouldn't be knocking on the door asking if you need service. When service is done on your room then cups, lids, coffee, and towels ( no face clothes were ever left only hand towels, and bath towels) need to be left rather than me calling down to the front desk for these items and they shouldn't be waiting for a tip on something that was forgotten.

I plan on coming back to your area because of Amber she was the shining star at your property, she is caring, genuine, knows her job and is always smiling when you see her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bjblunt36
bjblunt36,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Please know that I have shared your concerns with our Director of Engineering and the Director of Housekeeping. Any sharp objects found in our pool are taken very seriously and when necessarry we take our pool out of service to ensure the safety of our guests.

Rest assured your comments will be shared with our staff to raise awareness of this important matter.

We hope that any opportunities you encountered did not affect your confidence in our brand and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,
orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was a last minute trip and reservation. I wanted a place to relax and rest, the Sheraton, San Juan, provided this.
Although its location is removed from the liveliness of San Juan it was perfect for me. I believe it's geared more toward a business clientele. I found that I enjoyed the amenities which were in a serene ambiance. The pool and the hot tub were great, always with just a few people. There weren't any children running around splashing. Towels, cold lemon water were always available. The pool bar was also convenient.
I had dinner at Choices, the hotel restaurant, several times and was never disappointed. The churrasco was perfectly made, medium, the topping was delicious. The price was about $35. A little on the high side but I was pleased with the service, the taste and presentation. On another occasion I had a salad, greens with walnuts, feta, and chicken. The chicken was moist and well flavored, the mango vinaigrette dressing was excellent. Overall I was pleased with the hotel, the service and the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dalila95
We are so happy to hear that you were able to relax during your stay with us. Our infinity pool overlooking the San Juan Bay is a great way to unwind and relax for the day.

Our staff at Choices will be thrilled to know you enjoyed your meals. Our Executive Chef takes a lot of pride in designing each plate to ensure the culinary satisfaction of each guest.

We thank you so much for your feedback and hope to see you soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

The location is a bit off if your plan is to wake up & roll onto the beach, it is walking distance though in Condado. Or if your intention is to have a romantic escape, also wouldn't think it the most kid friendly pool in PR. It's rather small. The pool bar is open bankers hours during the week.
As an admin assistant I highly recommend this for conference booking though, great rooms for meetings and you can relax in the infinity pool after.
If your plan is to have mostly business & some tan & Sun this is perfect. The rooms are very clean, staff is friendly.
I wouldn't eat in the in house restaurant though (or maybe ordering fish on a Sunday) wasn't the best idea. I was ill for most of Monday even had to.ask for a late checkout. Which is about $10 per hour after noon.
We booked this same day thru P line

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sasha g
Sasha G,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel.

You are certainly right about our hotel being ideal for travelers going on a cruise or for business guests when visiting the Convention Center next door to us. We are ideally located in the heart of the Convention Center overlooking the bay of San Juan. In my opinion one of the most spectacular views on the island.

I am sorry to hear about the illness incident and hope that it didn't ruin any plans or your vacation.

Hope to see you again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Considering the location I get the inflation of prices on room service, the restaurants on sight and the spa which is why we ventured outward. For the most part the staff wasn't very helpful, they could've mentioned the key operating elevator, and the fact that the bus was coins only. The level of hospitality changed between night and day; more hospitable in the day. Marissa the housekeeper on our floor was very accommodating. The girl with glasses at the front desk during the day let us check in early and let us switch rooms with no problems.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello TIJo05,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate when guests review our hotel.

I apologize on behalf of our team for any inconveneinces you may have experienced during your stay. I will be sure to recap the areas you mentioned in your comments with our staff to ensure we are properly relaying information to all of our guests.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We travelled to P.R in July. The staff was pretty nice and friendly over all, but Michelle the concierge was amazing!! She helped us plan two excurations.

The Hotel was beautiful! we have a executive suite, the room was large and well thoughtout with a balcony over looking the pool area and old san juan.

If you go to P.R DO the bioluminescent kayaking with the glowing lagoon it was amazing!!! also did the rainforest tour with the swimming in the waterfall. The guide was really good and made it a great time.

The Choice restaurant was great for breakfast!! very good food, and dinner there was really good too.

It is about a 30 minute walk to old san juan and there isnt to much to do in the area directly but if you plan to drive its great.

Did have a few issues with Housekeeping and the room being left open, but i work at a hotel and im a housekeeping manager so i was understanding and the hotel staff took care of us very well.

A shout out to Lorna Garnier for taking care of us.

All in all it was a great stay.

Room Tip: i would highly recommond the suite with the balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mr-Travel21
Lorna G, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Mr-Travel21,
we are happy to hear that you had a fabulous stay with us. Great choices of activities that certainly are memorable. We will share your feedback also with Michelle as she is a true asset to the team.
Hopefully, we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for a conference, and I was blown away by how beautiful the facilities are. The conference rooms are very well-maintained, and they have many rooms of different sizes. The hotel pool is amazing; it is an outdoor infinity pool. I wish I could have spent more of my time out there! There is even a tiki bar/restaurant poolside. The food and drinks there are great. The hotel bar and restaurant is also a nice place to relax; great food, drinks, and service. The hotel rooms themselves are relatively spacious and very well-maintained. The casino is nice and a great way to kick back after a long day. My only complaint is that the location of the hotel is very far from the ocean; you have to take an expensive cab or walk along the freeway to get to it. Other than that, I would highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: They have suites that overlook the pool-absolutely stunning!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. Hopefully, we will be able to welcome you back in the future.
Kind regards,
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,118 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!