“Perfect Pre Cruise Hotel”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I honestly can't say there is much I would change about our stay. Though the property is not located within walking distance of Old San Juan, it IS practically at the Pan American Pier (Royal Caribbean & Celebrity).

From the airport it was a quick cab ride...$20 for 2 passengers with bags.

We arrived about 4:30pm and was eagerly greeted by Cesar at the front desk. Though our room was cleaned it had not yet been inspected so Cesar ran to personally take care of it for us.

Our room was a large corner king room with balcony overlooking the cruise ships...located on the Starwood Preferred Guest Floor. Complimentary wifi and bottled water were additional unexpected perks. We also splurged.for a breakfast package...definitely worth the extra $20.

Overall...we were VERY pleased with our stay and would not hesitate to come back again!

• Stayed: February 2013
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Buenos dias suzd123! We would like to thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts about our hotel. We are happy to know that you were very pleased with your stay. We are looking forward to warmly welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed. I stayed at this hotel last year in February. Everything was fine, until my safe was broken into. I lost a nominal amount of money, and called security when i realized. The evening security people made out a report, and told us to come down to be reimbursed for the money. I was ready for bed at this time after a long day. So, I decided to address this in the morning. Big mistake, The female daytime manager, JR is terrible, has no customer service experience, and is downright rude. She made me wait in the lobby for more than an hour until she decided to make her way downstairs. After threatening to call the police, she finally returned my money. After writing a terrible review on SPG, she called me and offered me any amenities I would like upon our next visit.

So, I decided to go back because the location is good. After various emails back and forth finally she called me and asked what she could do to make our stay better. I was impressed, So, I was a bit over the top asking for an upgrade to a suite. She, of course, did not do this. Now, starwood guests are offered upgrades if one is available, so really I did not get anything more than was expected. I told her in an email that I would be arrriving at 1 am. She had no room available. Once I told the evening staff that I would be happy to pull out a blanket, and sleep on their couch, they amazingly found a room. They charged me for an extra day, saying that I arrived at 11:59 pm. My flight did not touch down until 11:47, and I checked my bags. The airport is more than 15 minutes away,so I could not have ever checked in at that time. Customer service is not something this hotel excels in. The first room, and the second "upgraded" room were dirty. There were stains on the carpeting, under the sink dirty. This is not a four or five star hotel. This is a two star hotel at best. Another thing that happened, which of course was accidental, was that when we were checking into our second room, when I put the key in, the room was occupied. I think you can imagine our horror, as well as the other guests horror. I can go on and on.

The women at the front desk, especially A.S. is a very sarcastic nasty woman. She used an affected Puerto RIcan accident to let me know who the overall manager of the hotel is, and then implied i was stupid, since it is a very easy name. Yes, it is, if you speak proper English.

By the way, there is a very small blurb that says they are not responsible for anything left in their safes. So, if you have anything of value, I suggest you put it behind the front desk, in their safety deposit boxes.

A wonderful vacation, turned into a vacation from hell.

Sncerely,
Elizabeth DIerking

Room Tip: I wish I could add a tip here. Unless you get hte presidential suite, then maybe you will have a goo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Elizabeth O
Michel-Notten, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Elizabeth O, First of all we truly would like to offer our sincerest apologies for your experience at our hotel. This is definitely not the way it should have felt. We have met internally with our management team discussing the processes and behaviors that were not up to our & Sheraton standards. As a team we are committed for occurrences like this not to happen to any of our future guests. At this moment our Corporate office is working together with us investigating and at the same time communicating with you as we do appreciate you and your husband’s loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Once again we would like to apologize on behalf of the Sheraton Puerto Rico.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was in PR for a conference and was traveling by myself. I sat at the Choices Restaurant bar and had dinner. The staff was extremely friendly and kind. Daniella and Gabriel, among others, went out of their way to make sure I liked my food choices and was happy. I plan on staying at this hotel again in the future. Really makes a difference when you're traveling for business by yourself.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Good day Citygirl Miami, thank you very much for your positive review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at our restaurant Choices and you appreciated the service you received. We hope to see you soon on your next trip to Puerto Rico.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked this hotel because it was the only thing available through Aeroplan in San Juan and we were not disappointed!
Rooms were clean, staff were friendly, and the pool was perfect.
Although check out time was 11am, we were able to stay at the hotel and use the facilities until heading over to the port for our 10pm cruise departure.
We made great use of the pool area and had lunch up on the pool deck.
One thing I found strange was that although the pool area was open until 10pm on the Saturday evening, the pool bar was closed around 9. Why not keep it open the extra hour. I'm sure we weren't the only ones who would have taken advantage of a late night drink by the pool.
Will definitely recommend and will hope to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShanLeigh77
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We hope that in the future, you can experience all the amenities that our property has to offer and toast to creating fond memories. See you on your next trip to Puerto Rico!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Because of a change in plans we booked one night stay at the Sheraton, really because it was one of the only hotels with rooms available. In the end we were quite pleased with our stay, I would say the hotel is much more geared to the convention/business crowd (the convention center is next door) but the pool is nice the building is well kept and the staff is friendly. One minor complaint, the front desk was understaffed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

We truly appreciate your feedback and are very glad to hear that you had a positive experience. Please know that we have addressed your Front Desk understaffing concerns with our Management Team so that it does not reoccur in future instances. We look forward to connecting with you during your upcoming visits.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is awsome!! Music at the lobby with DJ is fantastic restaurant great much kudos to Elsie always very attentive great leader severs Sixto and mark great service Food great love the mahi mahi keep un the good work guys.

Room Tip: Top floors have the Bay view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jamoztee

Thank you for taking the time to write about our property. Please know that we have commended Elsie, Sixto and Mark for their great service. We strive to exceed guests expectations and we look forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton the night before meeting a cruise because the Hilton was booked solid. The bed was comfortable - nice pillows! - and the shower was pleasant. Our flight didn't get us to San Juan until 11pm, so we arrived late to the hotel and the lobby was very loud with music from the DJ in the adjacent bar - it was difficult to hear the desk clerk while checking in. But our room was quiet and in the morning we looked out the window to see the cruise ship waiting for us over at the docks. It's not a great location if you want to do some walking around old San Juan, but it served our purpose. The wait for breakfast the next morning was much longer than it should have been (there is a buffet, though, if you are in a hurry) - but the oatmeal was well worth the wait!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

We are very appreciative of your comments since we utilize such valuable input to enhance our services. For your future stays, we would like to provide a unique and memorable experience. We wish to welcome you back to our property very soon.