“Decent enough night's sleep”

Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Ontario, Canada
“Decent enough night's sleep”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton the night before meeting a cruise because the Hilton was booked solid. The bed was comfortable - nice pillows! - and the shower was pleasant. Our flight didn't get us to San Juan until 11pm, so we arrived late to the hotel and the lobby was very loud with music from the DJ in the adjacent bar - it was difficult to hear the desk clerk while checking in. But our room was quiet and in the morning we looked out the window to see the cruise ship waiting for us over at the docks. It's not a great location if you want to do some walking around old San Juan, but it served our purpose. The wait for breakfast the next morning was much longer than it should have been (there is a buffet, though, if you are in a hurry) - but the oatmeal was well worth the wait!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are very appreciative of your comments since we utilize such valuable input to enhance our services. For your future stays, we would like to provide a unique and memorable experience. We wish to welcome you back to our property very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Turkish first
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I gave a second chance, but this was not a pleasant stay, and it was far from the usual Sheraton quality. Restaurant three days in a row took 45 minutes to bring breakfast, they apologize every time but do nothing to correct. Personnel at the door is really helpful and nice, most of the rest, don't really care much. Avoid this hotel, if you can.

3 Thank Francisco F
Saludos Francisco F,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very sorry to hear that we were not able to turn your experience around regarding the service at Choices. We will definitely review your feedback with our Food & Beverage team to avoid any service delays in the future. Please accept our deepest apologies for not connecting with you or enhancing your experience the right way. Please feel free to write me at prcc.sales@sheraton.com if you decide to visit us again to make sure that you have a flawless stay.
Bayamon, null, Puerto Rico
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Tonight, I had a dinner with my best friend at Choices Rest. Our main waiter was Bianca, she was really nice and always was taking care of our experience at the restaurant. Rolando was the other waiter, he made us feel really pleased. He explained us every part of the menu and even when they had traffic, we didn't feel abandoned. The food was amazing and with a spectacular presentation. Gabriel came with two daiquiris for us, they were great as well. He was really friendly even when he was not our waiter. Finally, one of the managers named Elsie, asked us about the experience and thanked us for being there.
It was one of the best dinners that I have had in a long time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
jessica_rodriguez, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you, Jennifer D, what an amazing review about our restaurant Choices! And thank you for sharing. You are warmly invited to come back soon.
Carmel, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here on business this past week for four nights and brought my girlfriend along to enjoy the warm weather. I stayed here because I was working at the Convention Center, which is right across the street. Let me just say that I expected a whole lot more from this property being that it is rated a 4 star hotel. The hotel is new and it really is a very nice hotel. The pool deck is awesome with an infinity pool overlooking the bay and a small airport. The lobby and bar area nice as well. The rooms are just average. They are clean but just average. We stayed on the Starwood Preferred floor and not sure what was so preferred about it. The rooms didn't have any refrigerators and no bathrobes. The rooms have the bare minimum. I will say this, the beds are great. Had a very comfortable sleep. The main thing lacking at this hotel is customer service. All of the staff we encountered weren't friendly at all. They could careless you are staying there. There are a few dining options on site. Choices, China Club, and Texas De Brazil. Although all 3 are on site, you can only charge to your at Choices. This is the only hotel I've stayed at that offers dining options, but won't let you make any room charges. Anyways, Texas De Brazil (which is a chain) was the best of all. I would stay away from Choices. I'm used to paying hotel prices but this place is overpriced! Rude waitstaff and mediocre food. I would recommend going across the street and trying out Ficus restaurant. Great drinks and good tapas style food. Also tried room service one night. Took about an hour to get a simple dessert and of course that was way overpriced as well. The location of the hotel isn't great either. You definitely need a car to get around. A cab to Old San Juan will run you $15. I would definitely recommend renting a car if staying here. All in all, I would recommend staying elsewhere if visiting this area. If the customer service were to drastically improve here, I would consider staying again. You can get more bang for your buck at other hotels. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde for a few nights as well and that was great! Read my review on that hotel as well.

Room Tip: Request a high floor overlooking the pool deck for the best views.
4 Thank locolos13
Dear Locolos13, thank you very much for your honest feedback and review of your stay. I deeply apologize that the restaurant as well as the room service was not up to your standards. It is extremely important for us to give the highest customer service to our guests and we will make sure your comment about the friendliness of our staff will be taken into our Guest Services Department meetings.

I am happy to hear that you liked our property and thank you for praising our infinity pool and lobby/bar area.

We do hope to see you back at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, so you can see we take your feedback serious and we’ll do everything to make your next stay an excellent stay. Please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance at miriam.lauers@sheraton.com.

Miriam Lauers on behalf of Jessica Rodriguez
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am just about to check out of Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino.

My friends and I decided to stay a night here after our cruise to explore San Juan.

The hotel overall is extremely nice. The infinity pool was great and we had a pretty nice standard room. The service was good. Had a really nice lady in the front to great us and friendly bell boys.

The hotel aside, location was horrible. We wanted to go sightseeing but it is no where near anything good. We went to Condado to see the beach and that cost $15 taxi ride just to get there. We did not want to pay again to we decided to walk back since the receptionist said it was only a 10 minute walk. The walk back to our hotel took us half an hour. The location also makes it hard to find other places to deliver or somewhere to eat outside.

The only time I would recommend to use this hotel to others is if you are considering a one night stay and not planning to explore the city. Just be aware that taxi rides add up pretty quickly.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank alphoo
Buenos dias Alphoo. Thank you for your time to review your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to read that you think the hotel is extremely nice! That is a big compliment for us. The Convention District where the hotel is located is a developing area. We do have public busses departing at the Convention Center that take you to either Condado/Isla Verde and the beaches or Old San Juan for $0.75 each way. They depart every 20 minutes.

If there is anything I can do to assist you for your next stay, please contact me directly at miriam.lauers@sheraton.com. We hope to welcome you again on your next stay.
Warm regards, Miriam Lauers on behalf of Jessica Rodriguez
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I ate at the choice restaurant in the hotel. The food was fantastic and the waiter went above and beyond to care for us. Gabrielle was our waiter, he made us feel right at home, especially after being on two different fights for 10 hours and only having an apple and hard boiled egg that morning at 0430 and peanuts on the planes throughout due to running from one flight to the other....thank you very much Gabrielle for your kindness!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear NaeNae17, thank you very much for writing about your experience at our restaurant Choices. We are happy to hear you liked the service of Gabrielle and thank you for providing his name to us. See you soon at the Choices restaurant.
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a recent business trip. The hotel is conveniently located adjacent to the convention center. It's a nice looking hotel. My room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly. I had a problem with the air conditioner in my room on the day I arrived and had to be relocated to another room but it was painless. I made use of the fitness center which was actually pretty nice, especially compared to the average hotel fitness center. Plenty of tremills, free weights and machines. The outdoor pool area is nice although you are overlooking a private airport with constant flights from helicopters and small planes but you also can see docked boats, yachts & cruise ships. I ate at the hotels restaurant called Choices and the food was good. I also ate lunch from the poolside bar/restaurant one day and had the fish taco which was very good. The hotel has a decent size casino. The only real drawback to this hotel is that there is nothing surrounding this hotel at all. You will need to take a taxi to do anything.

1 Thank vincentsfather
Dear Vincentsfather, what a great review for our hotel! Thank you very much for your appreciation and taking the time to share. I am happy to hear you enjoyed all the facilities the hotel has to offer. Hopefully we can connect with you soon on your next trip to Puerto Rico.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!