2,636 results
All reviews convention center choices restaurant the club lounge infinity pool texas de brazil puerto rico old san juan nice hotel sushi bar cruise ship across the street lobby bar cab ride nice pool pre cruise rental car condado area
Reviewed January 22, 2013

First i will start off with this. This hotel far exceeded my expectations. Originally I wanted to stay at the Sheraton in old san juan since I am a starwoods customer and it was less points. My husband and I were going out on a cruise and the Old San Juan hotel was walking distance to the cruise terminal.The old san juan hotel was sold out so we ended up booking this one instead for 3000 points more a day. The hotel was gorgeous! The lobby was very interesting and funky. There were lots of bars and a casino in the hotel. Also the pool deck was crazy awesome. It overlooks the convention center and they have comfortable seating and the patio the pool is on is very large. There is a bar outside, a huge hot tub and a large pool as well. They have towels outside ready for people to use. This is very close to old san juan and there are many restaurant close too.
The only thing that bothered me about this place is that if you are paying with your starpoints you will be charged a 16 dollars SERVICE FEE. Its in the fine print on your confirmation email. I just figured that this fee would be waived considering I used my starpoints for this. NOPE! So something that I thought was supposed to be free ended up costing me 32 bucks. Now I know that doesn't really sound like a big deal but it is when you aren't expecting it at all. When I called SPG they said that the only thing that i should have been charged with is if a place had a RESORT FEE but any other things should have been included if i was paying with points. So SPG transferred me to the hotel and they said that information was inaccurate. They always charge the SERVICE FEE regardless of points being used. She was not super helpful and never offered to waived the fee even after telling her I was really disappointed with the fact that it wasn't waived. I was not satisfied with this response from the hotel so i called SPG again and I talked to someone about the same issue. She finally did see that in my confirmation email it said hotel service fee 14 percent per room per night not in the rate. It also says occupancy tax 11 percent per room per night not included in the rate. She said usually it is waived if you are in the United States but some places are different. I feel that this should have been waived for someone paying with starpoints. This hotel was amazing but this SERVICE FEE really left a bad impression on me. From now on i will be checking any time I book another Starwoods Hotel. How hard would it really have been to just waive the fee for me? I mean what do they lose really? 32 dollars. If they waived (or offer to waive) this fee for me I would have given them 5 stars and never have mentioned this.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel C
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Hola Tamesha J,
Thank you for staying with us and for your loyalty to our SPG Program. I was excited to read that you found our hotel and staff to be great. I am very sorry to hear that although you liked the hotel very much, the Service Fee made you feel uncomfortable. Please feel free to contact me directly at prcc.sales@sheraton.com so I can assit you with making the reservations for your return visit.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a nice choice for a hotel for our pre-cruise stay. The only disadvantage for this hotel is it's distance to everything. We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and our room was ready right away. Went up to the room on the 9th floor and found out we were on the back side of the hotel - not a problem just not nearly as nice a view from this room as there would be from the front side of the hotel. Room was fairly clean but did have a bit of a musty smell to it. It was quite large though and plent of room to move around. The bed was comfy enough. We stayed 2 nights prior to our cruise. It turned out to be a great location for us to find our way around when renting our car at the attached AVIS car rental station. We were able to make our way to the rainforest without much difficulty and I am glad we weren't in Old San Juan with the rental that we did have - Dodge Ram 1500!

While at the hotel we did have the opportunity to try both the tapas bar and the breakfast buffet. Both were quite good. The continental breakfast buffet was included in our room cost and had plenty of choices without purchasing the full hot buffet. On our second morning we chose to pay the extra just so we would have enough to fill us up until we got on the ship. We did have a problem with the billing but that was quickly taken care of and no fuss made.

The pool on the 4th floor is beautiful as are the views and the facilities there. We had a bit of a problem on our second morning when going on to the pool deck - some children were throwing pennies from the balconies and the security guard saw them. One of the pennies almost hit us! He immediately told them to stop and when we saw him later that morning he told us he had security visit the kids.

I also loved the musical fountain in front of the hotel. I was able to view both the night show and a daytime show at the fountain.

On checkout day we had to be out of our room on time as the hotel was fully booked for New Year's but the hotel allowed us to keep our luggage there and use the facilities until we were able to transfer to the cruise. One thing I did find out was that there was a package that we could have purchased that would have brought us and our luggage to the ship and we wouldn't have had to worry about it at all after leaving it at the porters desk. Wish I had know that before we left home as that would have made the transfer even easier. Plenty of taxis stop by here so transfering to the cruise ports is not difficult.

Overall a nice visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: View of fountain and harbor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ToodlesCA
jessica_rodriguez, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Hola and Warmest Afternoon!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us. At the moment the Convention District is in under development but I am happy to see that you did enjoy the features we have to offer at our property. I will make sure to share with our team your great experience as it was also really nice to see that your opportunities where addressed properly by them. I am glad to hear that you did not have any problem getting to your cruise ship, we do have to our advantage our location which makes taking a taxi ride seconds away so that you can continue your journey towards the beautiful Caribbean waters flawlessly. Once again thank you for taking your time to share your experience. We hope to welcome you back anytime in the near future!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed at this property many times...probably four or five times since it opened. As I noted in my last review, service levels have improved substantially. For the price paid over the holidays in the Caribbean, this property is a great deal. It is pretty new hotel and, I believe, it is aging well. But, if you are looking for a "smooth as silk" problem-free stay, this is never going to be the place. There will always be one or two (or four) hiccups every visit. You just need to go with the flow.

As a Platinum member, I was upgraded to a junior suite for my entire stay during the busy holiday period. I appreciated the upgrade during this busy time. Unfortunately, the A/C was not working in the bedroom. The temperature in the living room was always roughly 8 degrees cooler than the bedroom (you can get the actual room temperature by hitting the Temp button on the thermostat). I found the property's engineering staff to be very friendly but completely incompetent regarding fixing the problem. After three visits to the room to fix the problem, I finally moved to another room which was perfect. Again, while they were very friendly, I never got the sense that the engineering staff understood the problem. Bizarre.

During the second or third day of my stay, the pool deck area was completely closed until 11 AM and the pool was out of service the entire day (even though guests were told it would re-open by 2 PM it did not). Guests were told there was an "emergency maintenance issue" with the pool. Stuff like this happens but certainly bad timing given the property must have been full given the holiday season. While guests were told the pool would re-open by 2 PM, that didn't happen. One reason it took so long to refill the pool was that two tiny garden hoses were used to refill the large pool and that was obviously inadequate. So, again, I understand things like this can happen anywhere, but this will never be the place you'd want to come if you needed a flawless vacation.

During each of my stays I have eaten breakfast at the main restaurant. I would say the service is very friendly and usually pretty competent. The food has always been just okay. Every single day of my stay the toast came out ice cold and every single day it had to be sent back. Stick with the basics and you'll navigate breakfast fine.

The club lounge is a real asset to the property but has slipped a teeny tiny bit since my last stay. The refrigerator in the lounge is stocked with bottled water and it used to stay stocked even during non-operating hours. During this stay, it was always empty during non-serving hours. The espresso/coffee machine is phenomenal...but, one day it wasn't working. I asked a lounge attendant when it would be fixed and was told a date roughly two weeks away. When I went back to the lounge THAT EVENING, it was working. Bizarre. The lounge serves cold breakfast food and evening snacks (both hot and cold). Since I had my breakfasts in the restaurant, I can't comment on the breakfast grub. Evening food in the lounge was hit or miss. Some evenings, the food was amazing (chips and guacamole; chicken fajitas, etc.). Some nights, it was pretty inedible. Also, there are nights when the only hot foods had meat. In the past, the lounge attendants would let me order a non-meat snack from the room service menu. I was not given that option during this stay. But, overall, the lounge is a huge asset to the property. My only suggestion would be that the property adjust the hours of operation for weekends/weekdays or New Years Day. The morning after New Years Eve, clearly the property should make the operating hours a bit later, no?

The gym was fine with a rack of dumbbells and weight lifting machines and plenty of cardio options. There were always plenty of towels.

The front desk was as good as I have seen it. Management is very engaged...always at the front desk or walking the property and speaking with staff and guests. This is a huge positive. Housekeeping and staff were all very nice, friendly, etc.

For the price paid over the holidays, this property is a great value. But, as I said, you will have an occasional problem or four. Just deal with it...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank brxbmrzfan
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and also for your loyalty to our brand and SPG Program. We always strive for excelence and our staff is highly commited to make our guests feel at home. During busy days and seasons, our hotel is highly sought after because of our great amenities and value for price. Im sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy our pool one of the days during your stay. Safety and security is our main priority and a daily goal for our Security and Engineering teams. We will definitely share your experience at our Club Lounge with our management team to make sure that the necessary adjustments to serve our guests during busy seasons are done. Its great to hear that you were able to work out in our Sheraton Fitness Center. On your next visit, you should consider visiting Zen Spa, located on that same level to relax after your work out. Again, we thank you for taking the time to write this review and hope to welcome you once more by our Front Desk Team wit a warm smile and genuine attitude for service.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We spent 4 nights with the Sheraton. We are a young couple and received fantastic service from ALL of the front desk staff and room attendants. Loved the free bottle of water that they provided every day of the trip - there is nothing better after a long night of partying or travelling. We had a beautiful view of the water and convention center and our room was always well kept. Drinks (mango mojitos) were wonderful in the hotel bar and if you like to gamble- there are lots of games in the casino! Even though there is a lot going on in the hotel, it is quiet at night. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definately stay and recommend to all of our friends.

Prepare yourself for pricey daily parking, but it's garage parking so you know your car is safe.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and Warmest Afternnon!

We truly approeciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us! Thank you so much for commnets about our team. This is defitnelty the conncetion we want our guests to have with our team as in Starwood we strive about creating warm and memorable connections all the time. The bay view of the property is really nice and when you add the convention center to the scene it is just breath taking. We are famous for our mojitos so good choice on the mango falovored one, just a garnish to a great stay. Once again thank you for your review and we hope that you visit us soon for your next journey with us!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

What a great experience is when you can find some of the local people inviting you to the San Sebastian Party, I highly recommend this hotel and the staff.

Thanks to José de Leon for making me feel at home!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

What an experience! The San Sebastian Street Festival is very famous and we are very happy to hear that you had the opportunity to experience it while in Puerto Rico. It is a must do when in the island during the Holiday season. We hope that you share your future experiences with us and give us the opportunity to welcome you once more to the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino.